Scenera LATCH?

kdkm

I bought a Scenera the other night at Sears. The DOM was 12/2008 (it was only $20) and some of the other Sceneras they had seemed kind of banged up so I looked it over closely when I got home and I noticed that where the LATCH strap connector thing (the small skinny part) is screwed into the seat looks weird. The screw goes threw the strap one time about 4 inches from the end but their is another hole about two inches from the screw. Is the screw supposed to be through this hole too?

Sorry if this is confusing. I am not sure how else to explain. I might just be paranoid about the seat since the others weren't it that great of condition but if its not safe or has been altered or used, I want to return it or at least contact Dorel to see if they will replace it or something.

Also, I noticed that the registration card was still attached but it was on the right side. Every other Scenera I have seen (which honestly hasn't been many), the card was on the left side. Has anyone else bought one with the card on the right side?

Thanks!

ADS

Jessica61624

I seen those st Sears also. Your paying more than you would buying one from Walmart when you calculating by year. Can you post pictures?

kdkm

Yeah, I will try to.

The reason I bought it is because we had been using a RN80SL in the center of my sisters 2003 Durango with a lap only belt. We took it out to clean the cover and I realized that the install was bad. The belt was pushed up against the side of the seat making it seem secure when it wasn't. If you push the seat from the side where it buckles, it tips over and there is about 5 inches or so of slack. It doesn't happen when you push it from the other side, which is where I am when I install it usually. My sister really wants my niece in the middle no matter how much I tell her that having her RF outboard is very safe. I know the Scenera will fit there, so I got it. That middle seat is awkward and small. We have an RA50 that won't fit. The MR also won't fit. The pool noodles/towel I used to install scenera help so the seat bottom isn't on top of the other buckles. Thats the only way fits. I have pictures and stuff in some of my other posts. I have had problems with the RN since we got it. I keep thinking its in ride and then later find out that its not.

Anyway, I will try to get pics of the back the scenera if I can find a camera.

kdkm

Here is a pic
DSCF1057.jpg

Sorry, I tried to resize it but it didn't work.

jourdysmom

CPST Instructor
new scenera in my closet (DOM 2010) screw is thru that hole.. there are no other holes. If you are not comfortable with it, return it! I would if I had any doubt...

kdkm

new scenera in my closet (DOM 2010) screw is thru that hole.. there are no other holes. If you are not comfortable with it, return it! I would if I had any doubt...

Yeah, I probably should just return and save myself the worry and just work on conviencing my sister that outboard is safe, middle is just safeR.

Do you think there is any chance that Dorel will do something if I contact them? If its not safe I would rather not just return it and have it resold to someone else, ykwim?

Jessica61624

kdkm said:
Yeah, I probably should just return and save myself the worry and just work on conviencing my sister that outboard is safe, middle is just safeR.

Do you think there is any chance that Dorel will do something if I contact them? If its not safe I would rather not just return it and have it resold to someone else, ykwim?

I doubt it as the seat is so old. Call Monday and ask?

Kac

Ambassador - CPS Technician

From my experience with Dorel CS, they won't do anything at all. :thumbsdown:

kdkm

Bummer. I might call anyway, just to see. If they won't do anything, I'll just return it.

That puts us back to square one though. What other seats need pool noodles to install? The CA65, right? Any others? I think the noodles/towel is what I need to fit a seat in that spot without it interfering with the other buckles. Can you use noodles with the RA50?

tjham

Is this the small strap which keeps the real Latch strap from coming loose from the seat? Not the actual Latch strap itself? If so, that is just to keep the Latch strap from getting lost. It will still work fine, even if the little strap is missing (or cut off, as was the case with my Radian. :rolleyes: I didn't do it though, someone else did.) Or you could try a seat belt install.

Jessica61624

tjham said:
Is this the small strap which keeps the real Latch strap from coming loose from the seat? Not the actual Latch strap itself? If so, that is just to keep the Latch strap from getting lost. It will still work fine, even if the little strap is missing (or cut off, as was the case with my Radian. :rolleyes: I didn't do it though, someone else did.) Or you could try a seat belt install.

I think the concern is the seats a return.

joolsplus3

Admin - CPS Technician
If I didn't see any other signs of use, I wouldn't worry. Registration card was in good shape and the numbers matched the seat? No problem, not used. And if it were a return and in such good condition it looked new? No worries...honestly, the risks of it having been in a car long enough to be crashed and returned and look like new, even with a couple little foibles in the quality control, are...zero.

kdkm

If I didn't see any other signs of use, I wouldn't worry. Registration card was in good shape and the numbers matched the seat? No problem, not used. And if it were a return and in such good condition it looked new? No worries...honestly, the risks of it having been in a car long enough to be crashed and returned and look like new, even with a couple little foibles in the quality control, are...zero.

Yeah, other than the card and this strap, it looks fine. I looked for other signs of use like scratches on the bottom or kind of dirt/hair/etc. on the cover/seat but I didn't see any. The LATCH was still in the bag sealed up and the manual was where it should be. I am probably just being paranoid because of the condition of the other two seats.

I will check the numbers and make sure they match. I really don't want to have to return this seat if I don't have to (I will have to lug onto the bus and will take about 3 hours or so out of my day to do it) if its safe. I will keep it if the numbers match, I guess.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC