2012 Ford Explorer airbag/air pillow seat belts??

Ducky5306

DP just got a 2012 Ford Explorer and the back seats have "air bags" in the seat belts!?!? I was in a car accident the same day he had to pick up the new car so I didn't go/couldnt ask about them at the dealership.

Are they safe to use with car seats? How about with boosters?? Luke (5.5 yrs old) currently rides in a turbo booster in this car (until I get him another FR85) anyone know about these new seat belts?

Thanks!

Sent from my HTC using Car-Seat.Org

ADS

jess71903

Ambassador
There was a webinar with a Ford tech not long ago. I believe the consensus was that they are safe with car seats. The force of inflation is nowhere near that of the front-seat airbags. Maybe somebody can pull some more info for you.

Pixels

Ford says that they are safe to use. However, every single child restraint manufacturer either hasn't said anything, or they absolutely refuse them to be allowed with their seats.

You can use LATCH in those seats, or use the seat belts in the third row, since the air bag seat belts are only in the second row.

Ducky5306

Pixels said:
Ford says that they are safe to use. However, every single child restraint manufacturer either hasn't said anything, or they absolutely refuse them to be allowed with their seats.

You can use LATCH in those seats, or use the seat belts in the third row, since the air bag seat belts are only in the second row.

Hmm wondering how it works with boosters since a booster is supposed to only positions the seat belt correctly on the child right? (plus offer "side impact" and "false hips" protection I guess) the third row is a joke! It's in the trunk and I have no idea how the hell you would get a booster or car seat back there!

Anyone know what the latch limit is for ford? Luke is 42 lbs now so 5 lbs at most right? My Saturn is 47 lbs latch limit

LISmama810

Admin - CPS Technician
Ford LATCH limit is 48 lbs.

I went to a presentation by Ford at Lifesavers. I was actually very impressed with the amount of research they put into it and the results they (supposedly) got.

I personally would use them with a booster. In fact, we were looking at Expeditions and I was disappointed that the inflatable belts were only available on the Explorer.

I'd be comfortable using them for a harnessed seat, too, as long as they can be installed correctly. (If a lockoff is required, for example, but the belt is too thick, then it would be a no-go.)

Obviously if a manufacturer outright prohibits their use, that's a factor you need to consider.

Pixels

Manufacturers are also saying no for their boosters.

I am absolutely not comfortable with using those seat belts for any restraint where the belt path is not enclosed, but the only thing between my child is the seat cover. Also not comfortable with them for infant seat bases; what if it's strong enough, combined with crash forces, to knock the seat off the base? :eek:

LISmama810

Admin - CPS Technician
Pixels said:
Manufacturers are also saying no for their boosters.

I am absolutely not comfortable with using those seat belts for any restraint where the belt path is not enclosed, but the only thing between my child is the seat cover. Also not comfortable with them for infant seat bases; what if it's strong enough, combined with crash forces, to knock the seat off the base? :eek:

According to the tests they ran, it's not. They said it did break open the SS1 lockoff, but the seat still performed properly.

Now, all this is at Ford's word, of course.

And yeah, I probably wouldn't use it FF where there's no shell between the belt and the kid.

cso1997

the third row is a joke! It's in the trunk and I have no idea how the hell you would get a booster or car seat back there

Actually, the third row is very spacious. We have had several seats back there including the Frontier 85. There is more leg room there than the second row. Seats are wide and comfortable too. Tumble the second row seat forward and it is very easy to get back there. Much better than many third rows.

Pixels

According to the tests they ran, it's not. They said it did break open the SS1 lockoff, but the seat still performed properly.

Now, all this is at Ford's word, of course.

And yeah, I probably wouldn't use it FF where there's no shell between the belt and the kid.

But did they really test every seat, with every dummy? To me, it's kind of like the BundleMe makers saying they tested it with some seats and the seats still passed. It might be fine with some seats, but I honestly don't believe they tested them all (and new seats are always coming out) so they can't possibly say that it's safe with every seat.

Ducky5306

Ducky5306 said:
Anyone know what the latch limit is for ford? Luke is 42 lbs now so 5 lbs at most right? My Saturn is 47 lbs latch limit

Baby is taking over my brain! I did know its 48 lbs in my car not 47 lol. Blame the baby brain :)

Ducky5306

So I will use latch for awhile still for Luke and for along time still for the baby.. I guess once Luke hits 48 lbs or he goes booster full time I'll have to decide if I'm comfortable with him using the second row or put him in third row. Unless I can just use the booster on the middle seat? The middle seat has a normal seat belt.

LISmama810

Admin - CPS Technician
Pixels said:
But did they really test every seat, with every dummy? To me, it's kind of like the BundleMe makers saying they tested it with some seats and the seats still passed. It might be fine with some seats, but I honestly don't believe they tested them all (and new seats are always coming out) so they can't possibly say that it's safe with every seat.

No, they didn't test with every seat, but they tested with a lot. They went to BRU and Target and bought a bunch of seats (so new, popular ones, not old obscure things). They tested with child-sized dummies and with small adult female cadavers in booster seats.

They also manipulated the dummies to sit out of position in booster seats, including leaning and with the belt behind the child's back.

One of the cadaver tests might have been with the belt behind the back, too. I don't remember for sure, though.

Anyway, other than the SS1 lockoff breaking, there supposedly wasn't damage to any of the seats.

What DOES concern me is that supposedly Ford has stopped talking with car seat manufacturers? (Someone from here mentioned that.) If true, that surprises me because at Lifesavers they seemed to be working really hard to get info to the manufacturers. So that has me scratching my head a bit.

I'm not saying it's perfectly fine to use the belts in every--or any--situation. Obviously I don't have the kind of information or authority to say that. I would definitely use LATCH if possible, and would have to consider harnessed seats on a case-by-case basis.

For my OWN child, I would absolutely use them with a booster. Probably even if the booster manufacturer didn't allow it. The injury criteria from the female cadavers (in a seatbelt alone) was very impressive. (In a regular belt, it had multiple small rib fractures. In the inflatable belt, it had one microscopic fracture that they almost couldn't find.)

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC