Just got off phone with Britax regarding the Regent!

AdventureMom

Senior Community Member
No, we don't own one but were chomping at the bit to buy one any day - to install using the long belt path. So here's the lowdown:

There is not a recall, but a kit is being sent out to all registered owners of seats with DOM from 11/10/2005-6/18/2007. It will include updated instructions and a new label for the seat, a longer strap (can't remember which strap), and some non-skid backing.

RETROACTIVE!!! (ETA: just for seats with DOM b/t 11/10/2005-6/18/2007. It doesn't affect seats older than that and the newer ones already have the correct instructions in the manual regarding not using the long belt path over 40lbs...)

- recline bar to be used at all times
- long belt path CANNOT be used on kids over 40 lbs.

Yes, retroactive. They said the seat was modified slightly (not redesigned) in 11/2005 and they are no longer allowing the long belt path on those seats.

B.U.M.M.E.R.

For us, we'll either buy an older one or get something different.

ADS

Victorious4

Senior Community Member
Grrrrrrr! :soapbox: The long belt is all that works in the center of my 3rd row thanks to that ceiling shoulder belt -- I was totally planning to move Leila back there in the Husky when we adopt my SIL's booster sized kid + newborn.... I can only get the short belt path to work on really flat bench seats or reclinable seatbacks: it does NOT work in our '97 Civic HX with buckles that are forward of the bight :hitselfonhead: No biggie, really, about the minivan because I could just put her behind the driver on the reclinable middle row seat (backless booser in center 3rd row for biggest kid due to the limited space for head excursion with the middle row pushed back as is required) but my only other choice for the Civic would be EZOn + Compass B510 in the center (which SRN is not recommending) :fencing:

arly1983

DOUBLE CRAP!!!

I JUST REMEMBERED....THIS DARN THING WILL NOT INSTALL IN DH'S TRUCK SBP AND HE HAS NO LATCH!!!!! AND JACKSON IS 37 LBS!!!!!!

Anyone want an almost brand new Regent DOM 4/07 Onyx/ orginal box??? GOSH DARN IT!!

AdventureMom

Senior Community Member
Tiffany -

I think the Husky is fine, isn't it? This is only for seats with DOM after 11/10/05... :thumbsup:

rlsadc

Senior Community Member
DOUBLE CRAP!!!

I JUST REMEMBERED....THIS DARN THING WILL NOT INSTALL IN DH'S TRUCK SBP AND HE HAS NO LATCH!!!!! AND JACKSON IS 37 LBS!!!!!!

Anyone want an almost brand new Regent DOM 4/07 Onyx/ orginal box??? GOSH DARN IT!!

lol how much :rolleyes: :p

Victorious4

Senior Community Member
Technically ... but I'm paranoid like Jenny :p What difference in design makes it safe now that they've changed the rule? :confused: Since Leila's even with the Apex top slots, I won't have any choice but to do something incorrectly/unrecommended in the Civic regardless unless I tell my parents to just stuff it, help me buy a Recaro Start for the center of their Jeep (because that's the vehicle they're using for long rides & Leila does still slump slightly out of the Parkway when sleeping in that non locking retractor shoulder belt) so we can use the RSTV in the Civic all the time :duck:

AdventureMom

Senior Community Member
Technically ... but I'm paranoid like Jenny :p What difference in design makes it safe now that they've changed the rule? I won't have any choice but to do something incorrectly/unrecommended in the Civic regardless :duck:

Ha! I'm actually looking for a Husky now...! The Britax rep on the phone said that the seat was modified slightly and that's the reason the long belt path is okay on the older ones but the ones after 11/10/2005. I think I'd trust them on that. Maybe b/c I *want* to trust them on that b/c I want this seat but I want the long belt path... :rolleyes:

cheerbop

We are considering a Regent. So, this can only be installed with LATCH and a short belt path for kids over 40lb? Or, am I misunderstanding? I am new to the Regent. Why is it not allowed to use the long belt path?:confused:
Help a poor confused soul.:eek:

Victorious4

Senior Community Member
Oops, sorry -- in my frustration I clicked send too soon & edited after you quoted :eek: I am totally calling Britax now to find out if I can still use my Husky according to it's own manual, then!

THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU

mom2boys

So, I'm a little confused...maybe I missed a previous thread on this. I have Regent we bought earlier this year, so I guess is included in this discussion. What exactly is the problem? Our car does not have latch, so can I not use this seat anymore?? Gosh, I really hope that is not the case. My son loves his seat.

AdventureMom

Senior Community Member
We are considering a Regent. So, this can only be installed with LATCH and a short belt path for kids over 40lb? Or, am I misunderstanding? I am new to the Regent. Why is it not allowed to use the long belt path?:confused:
Help a poor confused soul.:eek:

It can only be used with LATCH up to the weight limit of the vehicle, usually 40-48 lbs (not sure if the Regent manual has its own limit; otherwise, you follow the vehicle manufacturer's limit normally). The Regent has a route for the seatbelt to take that basically weaves the seatbelt into the seat, providing a rock solid install. It's different than a normal seatbelt install. I've installed two Regents and could only get an acceptable install using the long belt path, not the regular path.... Not sure why they're not allowing it any more - they say it has to do with the "modification" of the seat a couple of years ago.

Victorious4

Senior Community Member
I think these are the options -- one or the other....
  • Long belt path (lap/shoulder belt, *not* lap-only belt) until 40 pounds
  • LATCH till 48 pounds (unless the specific vehicle only allow up to 40 pounds)
  • Short belt path (lap-only or lap/shoulder belt) for kids over 40 pounds

AdventureMom

Senior Community Member
I think these are the options -- one or the other....
  • Long belt path (lap/shoulder belt, *not* lap-only belt) until 40 pounds
  • LATCH till 48 pounds (unless the specific vehicle only allow up to 40 pounds)
  • Short belt path (lap-only or lap/shoulder belt) for kids over 40 pounds

Plus recline bar at ALL times now... For those of you with the Regent, were you using it anyway?

Patriot201

Car-Seat.org Ambassador
:( My niece will be getting two Regents when my nephew outgrows his infant seat (DNiece's Marathons will be passed down to DNephew). So this will definitely impact my brother and SIL.

Does anyone know what the LATCH anchor limits are in a Volvo XC90? How about in a Yukon?

singingpond

Geez, how aggravating....

I don't own a Husky or Regent myself, but I certainly have been looking at them with interest.

Just really frustrating, in the sense that you buy a seat, figure out if you can install it in your vehicle(s), USING THE INSTRUCTIONS IN THE MANUAL THAT COMES WITH THE SEAT, and then keep the seat or return it based on whether it fits.

Now all the people for whom SBP doesn't work are presumably stuck, since they are generally past the time when they could return the seat because of poor fit on installation. And the price tag on these seats makes that a LOT of money down the drain. Not to mention, what alternative does that leave for harnessing heavier/taller kids??

I wonder how unsafe LBP actually is, for all those people who have had bigger kids riding in these seats with DOM from 2005 to now??

This snafu sure makes me unhappy with Britax at the moment (we own a Wizard, and have been very pleased with it), and would make me hesitate to buy a Regent in the future.

Katrin

waterbaby

Looks like I need to put the recline bar on ours... and we're at 37 pounds, so maybe we can get another 2-3 months until we need to switch to short belt path (no LATCH).

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC