Making kids safer, one question at a time.  Welcome to the Car-Seat.Org community!   Motor Vehicle Crashes are the #1 cause of fatal injury for children and adults, age groups 1 to 34.   Selecting a safe car, minivan or SUV, plus correctly using child restraints and seatbelts may be the most important things you can do to protect your family.   Need help installing an infant, convertible or booster seat?   Looking for carseat reviews or compatibility advice? Need help buying the best and safest car seats for your baby, toddler or older kid?   No question is a bad one, so please click here to ask our experts a question and then join our friendly community of moms, dads, caregivers and advocates in the USA and Canada.   Thank you for visiting; buckle-up and drive safely!

Sponsored Ads

18 month old putting her leg up against the door...

DD is outboard, drivers side. I noticed the other day that she was putting her leg over the seat, against the door. This is more of a problem in her CCO than the Marathon, but the MA70 doesn't fit as well in my car.

How much of a danger is this? Obviously, if we get hit on that side her leg will be injured. Is there anything I can do to get her to stop?
    Mama to DS:10/03-Harmony Transit, DD 1/06 Parkway, DD2 4/10- Nextfit/frontier DD3 7/13- Pria

2. # ADS
    Sponsored Ads

CPS Fanatic
    I don't think its that dangerous. My ds does that also. I already have to keep him from messing the the seat belt which is dangerous. If you got hit her leg would probably move. Who knows which way it might go.

Admin - CPS Technician LISmama810's Avatar
    Do you mean she's putting her foot between the seat and the door, or just resting her foot on the door? If her foot is just touching, I don't see a problem. If it's between the door and the seat, that could be a problem, though only if you're in a crash with the side impact right there.

My daughter does that sometimes in the Radian, and if I see it, I tell her to move her foot. If we were to get hit there, I imagine it would crush her leg--at best.

So, yeah, I'd say it's a hypothetical concern, but in reality probably (hopefully) won't ever come into play. As for what to do about it, teach her not to, or get a seat with higher sides.

Re: 18 month old putting her leg up against the door...

So, yeah, I'd say it's a hypothetical concern, but in reality probably (hopefully) won't ever come into play. As for what to do about it, teach her not to, or get a seat with higher sides.
    Yeah, that.

Why doesn't the MA70 work in your vehicle? Is it a space issue or incompatibility issue?

That's what my DS rides in and it contains his legs very well - one of the reasons I like it.
    CPST & Mom to:
    Keep (11 yrs old, 57", 80 lbs), in an Olli, Ozzi & BB
    Sass (10 yrs old, 54", 76 lbs), in Santa Fe, Monterey & Olli
    Zilla (4 yrs old, 38", 36 lbs), FF in a PS, RXT & FR85
    Rollin' in a 2014 Ody, 2012 F-150 SuperCrew & Luigi, a peppy little 2012 Fiat 500

Quote Originally Posted by clov878 View Post
    Yeah, that.

Why doesn't the MA70 work in your vehicle? Is it a space issue or incompatibility issue?

That's what my DS rides in and it contains his legs very well - one of the reasons I like it.
    It's up, over the side of the CCO and sometimes on the door (straight) but sometimes is just resting over the side between the seat and the door.

The MA70 is just too tall for my stupid car. It works ok, IF I move my headrest up, which compromises my safety because I have no headrest at my head then. I despise this vehicle when it comes to car seat compatibility. It makes me angry. It's a great car IF you don't have more than 2 kids (which we do).
    Mama to DS:10/03-Harmony Transit, DD 1/06 Parkway, DD2 4/10- Nextfit/frontier DD3 7/13- Pria

CPS Fanatic
    Can you install the MA more upright by any chance? I'm shocked to hear there is a front to back space issue with the MA70...I've had a RF EFTA there no problem at a toddler angle and been able to drive safely. I have also had my T35 there and been able to drive in front of it. I'm short, but have a bit of room to spare.

Did you move the second row all the way back?

Does your car have side curtain airbags?
    Mom to 2 adults and 2 little kids.
    Tall 8 year old in Incognito; Petite 3 year old RF in CA65

Quote Originally Posted by Brigala View Post
    Does your car have side curtain airbags?
    yes

Hmm. Check your car's manual, but often they don't want any part of the passenger leaning on the door with those side curtain air bags.

Is there any way to rearrange your kids so she's in a center position?
    Mom to 2 adults and 2 little kids.
    Tall 8 year old in Incognito; Petite 3 year old RF in CA65

Quote Originally Posted by Brigala View Post
    Hmm. Check your car's manual, but often they don't want any part of the passenger leaning on the door with those side curtain air bags.

Is there any way to rearrange your kids so she's in a center position?
    You're right- it does say that.

I can put her center, but it's super hard on my back.

CPS Fanatic
    Here is the pic you requested of the T35. In the picture the passenger seat is 4" or so further back than my drivers seat. If I have time to throw it behind the drivers seat this week, I'll post that pic too.

And I had a major lapse of memory in my PM...when my son was RF in this position it was in a classic boulevard and there was plenty of room for it (it was tethered to the inside track of the front seat)...I think more room than with the T35.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Thank you for the pictures- it does look like you have plenty of room...I just can't figure it out!