Making kids safer, one question at a time.  Welcome to the Car-Seat.Org community!   Motor Vehicle Crashes are the #1 cause of fatal injury for children and adults, age groups 1 to 34.   Selecting a safe car, minivan or SUV, plus correctly using child restraints and seatbelts may be the most important things you can do to protect your family.   Need help installing an infant, convertible or booster seat?   Looking for carseat reviews or compatibility advice? Need help buying the best and safest car seats for your baby, toddler or older kid?   No question is a bad one, so please click here to ask our experts a question and then join our friendly community of moms, dads, caregivers and advocates in the USA and Canada.   Thank you for visiting; buckle-up and drive safely!

Sponsored Ads

+ Reply to Thread

NY times article on flying with kids

It include various airlines' policies for traveling families:

http://travel.nytimes.com/2011/11/06...the-worse.html
    Mom to Caterina born January 12, 2009 and FF in a TWE and Julian born September 6, 2012 and RF in a Varioguard

2. Thank You from:

3. # ADS
    Sponsored Ads

Carseat Crazy

Re: NY times article on flying with kids

I wish they had talked more about car seats on board.

I wish they had mentioned that Air France takes your stroller and you don't see it again till baggage claim at your final destination.

While they were waxing on about Virgin Atlantic, they could have mentioned that you can't use your own car seat on board, all U.K. carriers ban rear-facing car seats and, correct me if I'm wrong, you can't book a seat for a baby under 6 months. Sucks. I'm sure the service is great though!
    Former Flight Attendant, 13 years, 2 companies in 5 countries
    3 trilingual, international travelers with two nationalities
    http://flyingwithchildren1.blogspot.com

When you see your stroller again depends on the destination airport. Some airports have the baggage claim folks unload then at the gate, some directly onto the baggage claim belt.

But yeah, they could have mentioned car seats. I'd never expect to find information about RF one on an airplane in a newspaper article though. Even airlines don't always go into those specifics.

That said, there are always a lot of questions in this section about airport travel and airlines in general so from that POV I think it's convenient to have it lumped into one place. The info isn't less useful just bc it fails to include our community obsession.
    Mom to Caterina born January 12, 2009 and FF in a TWE and Julian born September 6, 2012 and RF in a Varioguard

Carseat Crazy

Re: NY times article on flying with kids

When you see your stroller again depends on the destination airport.

No it doesn't but I wont get into the nitty-gritty. There are enough parents complaining about it elsewhere on the net. You get to take the stroller to the gate but you have to get it at baggage claim at your final destination on Air France, at least going to/connecting in France. If you're connecting after leaving France, you're probably switching airlines anyway...

That information basically is just copying and pasting from the companies' websites, so it's useful but people only have to google it to get the same thing. I'd rather direct people to the website anyway, in case of any changes (need I mention AA's restrictive stroller policy as a very good example???)
    Former Flight Attendant, 13 years, 2 companies in 5 countries
    3 trilingual, international travelers with two nationalities
    http://flyingwithchildren1.blogspot.com