recommendations on dressing kids warm?

zoecoltsmama

we live in Northern California, it gets cold at night, freezes, cold rains but rarely snows, our house is old and drafty, my son kicks off him blankets at night. what do you guys in the colder climates do for warm jammies, slippers, long johns, jackets? what are your faves and why?
Colton is 2.5 and Emmylou is 5 months

ADS

rochelle

Point Reyes is cooler than where I am. My room temperature goes down to lowest of 54degF. At your son's age my boys were comfortable in footed sleepers and sweater. They were in pull-ups so we don't need to worry about the inconvenience of going to potty in sleepers.

UlrikeDG

Admin - CPS Technician Emeritus
Fleece footie jammies! We have a gazillion pairs of Carters. They are soft and warm!

This. And if they're not warm enough, you can layer them with light weight cotton PJs. I like the Carters 2-piece pajamas. They're great on their own for the mild fall/spring nights, and they can be layered (like long underwear) during the day or at night for added warmth in the dead of winter.

trinalb

Personally I don't like fleece. It is warm, certainly, but it is not very good for temperature regulation. If your child happens to get a little hot during the night, she'll sweat, and then if she cools off again she'll be damp and can get chilled. I avoid fleece and other polyester fabrics in general, though, because they're made from petroleum.

Wool, on the other hand, is an amazing temperature regulator. Very warm and insulating when it's cold, but takes a lot more heat before you get overheated. And, if you do get overheated and sweat, the damp doesn't cause a chill if you cool off again. Wool can absorb up to 30% of its weight in liquid before feeling wet.

Wool is fabulous for under and outer layers for going out in the cold, and for sleepwear. It is also naturally fire retardant so doesn't need to be chemically treated as such, unlike many other infants' and children's garments. We :love: wool in our house. It is more expensive, but because it doesn't need to be washed often you don't need nearly as much of it. You need to get virgin, untreated wool to make sure you avoid the scratchy kind, though. Our wool is super soft and scrumptious. :D

At night we use cotton or wool pj's under this wool sleep sack. We have this toque and these mittens that we love. This is the shirt and these are the pants we use for day play-wear and night pjs. These are especially great to use as "long johns," with built in feet so there is no gaping between socks and pants. We have this snowsuit for DD and I would love to buy this coat for DS. And this is our bulletproof nighttime cloth diaper cover.

Last edited:

Polola0628

I agree with Trinalb. Soft merino pants and shirt, with cotton pjs over it. If it's really cold, a wool sweater. Wool blankets too. And wool socks. We keep our heat at 55ish at night and 58ish during the day :)

jperiod

I made a long-sleeved sleepsack out of a wool blend, but I think it's too thin. I also have her in recycled cashmere longies, but her legs seem cool to the touch in the mornings and she's been waking early. Do you think the wool needs to be directly on the skin to work better or if baggy pants should work the same?

On the wool sleepsacks, why don't they have sleeves? What do you do up top? DD's arms/hands are always ice cold in the morning. The LS cotton shirt and LS sleepsack aren't cutting it for us and I don't think her room gets below 66-68.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC