Car seat or CARES?

navy wife

I am flying home for Christmas in about a month and have been debating back and forth about whether to bring a carseat for my toddler or rent a CARES Harness. It will be my 18 month old daughter, my 3 month old daughter, and myself. The trip is two parts about an hour and a half each part. My 18 month old is very big for her age being 25 lbs and over 33 inches tall so her size isn't an issue. I think she would stay in her seat with the harness not having a crotch strap. I know she would be more comfortable and stay put better in a carseat but the thought of tryin.g wrangle two children and a carseat once on the airplane is so daunting. If I do opt for the harness, my family has carseats available for us to use once we arrive. The 3 month old will be held as a lap child (not my favorite option, but that is what our budget requires). What would you recommend I do in this situation?

ADS

navy wife

Also, I if I do use a carseat I will be buying a new one. Currently my toddler is in a Safety 1st Alpha Omega 3-n-1. It is gigantic and I would not use it on an airplane. What carseat would you recommend to use on the airplane and then use for my 3 month old once she outgrows her infant carrier?

Carrie_R

Ambassador - CPS Technician
At 18 months, I would take a carseat, without question. The seats we often recommend for airline travel are not the seats we usually recommend for day-to-day usage... Primarily because it's easiest if travel seats are small and lightweight, but most of the seats that accommodate extended rearfacing are larger by necessity.

How tall and heavy is your older daughter?

mylittlet

Senior Community Member
I would get a scerena and CARES. Because if there is a spare seat available on the plane you could put the baby in the scerena and use the CARES for the oldest. If an extra seat is not available I would use the scerena for the oldest.

The scerena is similar to your Alpha Omega without the base, but lighter weight and easier to install because it is narrower at the belt path. We have used a scerena as a primary seat. It worked great for us.

mylittlet

Senior Community Member
By the way, is your oldest rf or ff?

If ff and you have the 40# Alpha Omega you can't use the top harness setting as a 5-point. The top setting is for booster use only.

If ff and you have the 50# Alpha Omega you can use the top harness setting as a 5-point.

VoodooChile

I've used a CARES harness and as a mom I don't love it, but as an RA patient who flies with kids I've found it pretty necessary. My dd sat in it very nicely at 2, but I doubt my ds would at 2 1/2.

An Aurora

Senior Community Member
pippi2077 said:
I would get a scerena and CARES. Because if there is a spare seat available on the plane you could put the baby in the scerena and use the CARES for the oldest. If an extra seat is not available I would use the scerena for the oldest.

The scerena is similar to your Alpha Omega without the base, but lighter weight and easier to install because it is narrower at the belt path. We have used a scerena as a primary seat. It worked great for us.

This.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC