Making kids safer, one question at a time.  Welcome to the Car-Seat.Org community!   Motor Vehicle Crashes are the #1 cause of fatal injury for children and adults, age groups 1 to 34.   Selecting a safe car, minivan or SUV, plus correctly using child restraints and seatbelts may be the most important things you can do to protect your family.   Need help installing an infant, convertible or booster seat?   Looking for carseat reviews or compatibility advice? Need help buying the best and safest car seats for your baby, toddler or older kid?   No question is a bad one, so please click here to ask our experts a question and then join our friendly community of moms, dads, caregivers and advocates in the USA and Canada.   Thank you for visiting; buckle-up and drive safely!

Sponsored Ads

+ Reply to Thread

Britax traveller or recaro proride?

Ok so I thought I had decided on the traveller for Charlie. Then the pt said getting a regular car seat paid for would be no problem. Which made me consider the proride. Obviously the traveller will last longer. But we intend to transport her in her chair eventually. She won't need this seat to last years and years. Maybe another 2.

She's about 3/4 of an inch from the top slot of her my ride. That's in thin pants, a disposable diaper, and the seat forced into an upright install. Lol. In a cloth diaper, sweatpants, and a more reclined install she looks like she AT the slot. She's doing wonderful with the more upri install btw.

So I've never seen either of these seats in person. It looks like I might have to decide without seeing them. Or both of them. I might be able to get to Columbus to at least see the recaro. But the dme's around here don't just have travellers laying around, they order them as needed.

Help me figure this out please!
    Shauna, mom to Adrian (9 yrs, 54" and 83 lbs), in an Evenflo Amp and Charlie (6 yrs, 42" and 35 lbs), in an Evenflo Titan 65.

2. # ADS
    Sponsored Ads

Re: Britax traveller or recaro proride?

The traveler looks basically just like the Regent. The proride? You mean prosport? I think. It has nice support on the sides. I am heading out, so can't measure right now, the different between the PR and the MR. What about the FR85?

She's way too slumpy in the frontier. I do mean the pro ride, not the prosport. The prosport would be too upright also I believe. Unless anyone says otherwise. I'm assuming it sits more upright. She still needs some recline. The MR, even as upright as I can get it is still quite reclined.

I've put Charlie in Adrian's regent before and she was slumpy in that too, but in the pics of the traveller it looks like it has more padding in the sides? She otherwise fit well, I just had to roll towels and bunch them on her sides to keep her upright.
    Shauna, mom to Adrian (9 yrs, 54" and 83 lbs), in an Evenflo Amp and Charlie (6 yrs, 42" and 35 lbs), in an Evenflo Titan 65.

You know what? I've never tried her in the frontier actually installed in the car before. Maybe I should do that before I write it off as not reclined enough. Is there a big difference between how it sits on the floor of the store vs in the seat of a car?

Prosport has a recline option I think. I've never used it on mine but the manual mentions something about it. I would definitely wait to buy one because Recaro said they were putting longer harnesses on them, soon.
    Mama to Baby Girl N - two years old
    Loving Stepmother of wonderful girls, H-9 and S-5

The frontier, when installed, you put the recline foot foward. I would consider it.

I think I can make a run to babies r us tomorrow. Might be fun.

I have a friend who has a prosport and I have a frontier 85 and a decathalon. Would you want some pictures of the two or three? Her daughter is also special needs. Let me know and I will see if I can get something arranged.
    Car seat tech since 2003 and Stay at home mom to Emily (8/31/01) and Abigail (6/28/06)

I have the proride. It does have a natural FF recline, kind of like the older britax seats (the marathon 65).

I love it mainly because of the head pillows.

It doesn't offer a ton of leg support though. Do you want me to measure it?
    Jamii ~ CPST ~ Foster Mom
    DS1 / 14 / Seatbelt * DS2 / 11 / Seatblet * DD / 8 / Spectrum and Rodifix * And a RF Headwise for Tiny

Any pics or measurements would be great, thanks!

Carseat Crazy

The traveller is a husky/regent with a higher weight limit/longer harness. You can get a pommel for it. Ds tried the recaro prosport, frontier85, snugseat pilot (a monteray with a 4 pt harness), the columbia spirit 2400, and the merritt Roosevelt.

When we got our roosevelt, I thought of Charlie. Ds and I adore this seat. Shane Merritt is great to work with and worked on the traveller before he started his own company. Insurance paid in full for ds.

The roosevelt has the option of an independent harness for kids with scolosis or that need something like it, and the pommel pad. You can add more depth. Ds was at the end of husky harness, but has miles left in the roosevelt. It has a built in tether for use with long belt path and can be used with just that. It has a dual tether for higher weights. It can be ordered with a piddle pad type cover. It is super comfy for ds. It has a touch of recline and positions my floppy child beautifully. You can even add that stay put hat for kids that need the extra help. For kids under 65# the recline bar is mandatory and optional afterwards. Ds was 66# fully dressed, so I went without. I think with the recline, it would be really nice for someone with low tone.

This one was ds and mine's favorite hands down.

I considered the Roosevelt too, but it has a 35 lb minimum I think. It' ll be a year probably before she hits that.

PB is still not working for me today.

I'm going to post pics on FB and tag you in them.
    Jamii ~ CPST ~ Foster Mom
    DS1 / 14 / Seatbelt * DS2 / 11 / Seatblet * DD / 8 / Spectrum and Rodifix * And a RF Headwise for Tiny

Quote Originally Posted by djma View Post
    PB is still not working for me today.

I'm going to post pics on FB and tag you in them.
    Sounds good.

CPS Technician

Quote Originally Posted by Shaunam View Post
    I considered the Roosevelt too, but it has a 35 lb minimum I think. It' ll be a year probably before she hits that.
    You certainly wouldn't be the first parent to order a seat for a kid that was a shade too large.

Both of my friends with SN were below the weight limit when they first received their Tomato seat. It was parental choice since other than that, the seats met all the needs: airplane approved, can be used in stroller, with in home base, provided correct support, etc.

I'd talk to Shane and see what he thinks about her weight.

Carseat Crazy

Yes, talk to Shane. He is awesome. We also discussed the churchill for ds, which he doesn't weigh enough for. It was tested with a smaller dummy and passed just fine. The harness heights of the roosevelt were designed around different weight dummies to test. I wouldn't be surprised to learn that it had been tested to lower weight, but that they set a higher weight to keep littles out of it.

It really is an awesome seat. Also, insurance tends to not pay for seats more often then every 5 years.

Carseat Crazy

My daughter has a signo g2 which is basically the pro ride. If you would like a picture of my daughter in hers I can throw FF later this evening and get a few pics. Just PM me and let me know.