Stripped gears on the infinte harness height adjust on Boulevard Classic

Avery'sMama

CPST Instructor
I have a 2007 manufacture Britax Boulevard with apparently stripped gears in the infinite harness adjust. I called Britax to see what could be done, and the answer is apparently nothing. And it's out of warranty. It can't be repaired, they won't fix it. The customer service rep said the gears get stripped when people turn just one knob to adjust or try to keep adjusting it after it's at the max or min heights. I explained that I am a CPST, I'm not just an average consumer jamming the thing around. I know how to use my seats and treat them well. She said they are all CPST's, every last one of them in the office, and that all she can tell me, is that when the gears are forced, they will strip, and there is no repair. I'm not a happy camper...

To just loose two years of life on my $300 seat irritates me immensely! There is no fix, nothing to be done. It's just broken and I am out a seat. :( She said if it was in warranty, one year, they would replace it. However, it's obviously older than one year. I asked if this was a hazard of these seats I should be aware of, as I educate parents, she said no, she wouldn't call it a hazard, but they do break. I asked to speak to a manager, and explained that as a CPST Instructor, I needed to know what the risks were to consumers with the entire harness assembly being broken, and as a parent and a consumer, I am not happy to discover I've just lost two years of life expectancy in my seat. Had I realized that this was a common issue, I would have just gotten two Marathon's back in the day. I knew then I would have more kids and wanted to full use of the seats.

Has anyone else had this happen? The manager is suppose to call me back in 24 to 48 business hours, so not until Monday or Tuesday next week.

ADS

cryswilkins

I would call back. I personally think that if it's not able to be fixed they need to compensate you for the lost years of life. $300 \ 6 = $100. I have seen the headrest on the old style boulevards get stuck, but usually putting it all the way down will sort of reset it.

Tell them it's a safety issue because the average parent would just keep using it with the harness in the wrong position. I would also report it to NHTSA.

Sent from my iPhone. Please excuse my auto correct.

Avery'sMama

CPST Instructor
Well, she just called and asked for a pic of the gear/rod assembly under the cover, which I sent. I will be filing a NHTSA report, and actually, I have replaced seats for parents with broken height adjusters at events who have gone to some length to deal with it. One mom removed the rod/gears to move the assembly up.

This is the pic they wanted.

View attachment 13319

Last edited:

safeinthecar

Moderator - CPS Technician
Are you sure it's the gears that are stripped and not the threading inside the knobs? (stripped knobs actually does happen quite easily) While I see some wear on the gears themselves, it really doesn't look worse than normal for a 4yo seat. If you turn the knobs, what happens? Does the gear on the rod turn but slide over the horizontal gear, or does neither gear turn? If the gear on the rod is turning and sliding over the horizontal gear, coating one of the gears in a layer of rubber cement might give it enough traction to compensate for the wear.

Avery'sMama

CPST Instructor
Are you sure it's the gears that are stripped and not the threading inside the knobs? (stripped knobs actually does happen quite easily) While I see some wear on the gears themselves, it really doesn't look worse than normal for a 4yo seat. If you turn the knobs, what happens? Does the gear on the rod turn but slide over the horizontal gear, or does neither gear turn? If the gear on the rod is turning and sliding over the horizontal gear, coating one of the gears in a layer of rubber cement might give it enough traction to compensate for the wear.

Well, to be honest, I hadn't really looked at what was wrong before I called. I just knew it wouldn't adjust anymore. As I look more carefully at the whole assembly, I think the issue is that the knobs seem to be loose from the rod, if I push it together really tight and turn at the same time, it will go up, but if I pull out, the knobs can come out some from the shell and then the gears don't touch at all.

I don't think they owe me anything, but I do think it would be the right thing to do to replace it or offer a discount on a replacement. It's broken, through no fault of my own, after 4 years. I was assured a product that would last for six years. It's true it's out of warranty, and I know that.

As an Instructor though, I want to know if this presents a safety issue. How should I direct a parent I see with this issue? Is it safe for me to continue to use it? As I said before, I have replaced seats for parents whose height adjustment stopped working, I do think it is an issue with the design. If I, as a CPSTI, who is very careful with my seat, have a broken assembly after 4 years, what happens when an average parent uses the seat in an average way? And, as Crystal said, cease to be able to adjust the height and just continue to use it that way. Is the integrity of the system compromised with the rod/gears loose?

carseatcoach

Carseat Crankypants
I do think it would be good customer service for them to discount a new seat for you.

But you were not assured a seat that would last six years. You were assured a seat that WOULD last one year (warranty) and could be used up to six years if it remained in good working order.

I would not be comfortable advising parents to continue using a seat that was not in good working order.

Avery'sMama

CPST Instructor
I do think it would be good customer service for them to discount a new seat for you.

But you were not assured a seat that would last six years. You were assured a seat that WOULD last one year (warranty) and could be used up to six years if it remained in good working order.

I would not be comfortable advising parents to continue using a seat that was not in good working order.

Well, I'm just going to have to disagree on this point. I think that it is reasonable assumption that a seat should remain in working order for the entire 6 years unless something is done to damage it. Having parts and pieces that have a reasonably high failure rate in normal usage is cause for a recall. I have a CPST friend that had the same issue, although hers just began clicking, it was still turning when she stopped using it. And I've replaced two at seat checks for the same issue. That's four I can personally attest to having issues with the knob/rod harness adjust assembly

And I agree, I wouldn't recommend continued use, and in fact, as I said, I have replaced two with coalition seats and told the parents to contact Britax, it shouldn't be breaking. But I would like to hear from Britax what they think about the safety of continued use.

SafeDad

CPSDarren - Admin
Staff member
I had a related issue once with the previous generation Boulevard classic some years ago where the plastic backplate got stuck in a notch. It was very hard to adjust, but it was new so I kept going. I figured it would eventually get easier with use. Not real smart in retrospect. I'm surprised nothing was ruined permanently! (See photo)

Most companies offer a 1-year warranty on carseats. That's not unreasonable considering the conditions some endure. All it takes is for one caregiver or even a child to really wrench an adjuster without loosening the harness and presto. Broken. Other times, parts break with no obvious cause. It's pretty much like having a camera die after a 90-day warranty or a car die after a 36-month warranty. Manufacturers are generous if they honor the warranty even a few weeks after expiration. Very generous if they do so after a longer period. I would consider the expiration date to be a maximum possible lifespan of a product, not a minimum guaranteed lifespan.

I don't know if stores sell extended warranties or if those are even a good idea, but that is one alternative. Costco is another, if they happen to have a model you want, of course.

If there is a rash of reports of a product failing very prematurely in a specific way, then by all means report it to the company, to the NHTSA (if it is a safety issue) or to your state attorney general or other consumer agency if it is a non-safety defect issue. I don't know about your issue, but certainly if there are enough similar cases, you might be able to get compensation with some elbow grease in filing the necessary complaints or sending letters.

Attachments

• 08012008165.jpg
    08012008165.jpg
    202.9 KB · Views: 66

Avery'sMama

CPST Instructor
Well, I heard back from them today, they offered to replace the seat with a Boulevard 70 for $125, no shipping or tax. Seems completely reasonable to me! I have to ship the broken seat back to them within 30 days.

I'm pleased with the resolution. I don't mind having to pay some to replace it, as I had used it for 4 years before it broke, it only had two years life expectancy in it. The same customer service person called back and was very helpful. I'm happy!

SafeDad

CPSDarren - Admin
Staff member
I'm glad they resolved the issue, that seems very fair all things considered! Enjoy your new Boulevard!

christineka

Well, I heard back from them today, they offered to replace the seat with a Boulevard 70 for $125, no shipping or tax. Seems completely reasonable to me! I have to ship the broken seat back to them within 30 days.

I'm pleased with the resolution. I don't mind having to pay some to replace it, as I had used it for 4 years before it broke, it only had two years life expectancy in it. The same customer service person called back and was very helpful. I'm happy!

Great! I recently called about a 4 year old parkway. They couldn't do anything for my seat, but did offer a discount on a new parkway. (I didn't want it, though.)

rachelandtyke

Glad you got a resolution you were happy with.

I just retired our recently expired Blvd classic that had been in continual use for 5 years. I never had problems with the infinite harness height adjustment assembly. I'm sad the seat is done and wish I had another one. :(

cryswilkins

I think that is a perfectly reasonable solution! I am glad that after all the snottiness they were nice about the replacement.

KaysKidz

Senior Community Member
My classic did that, but when it was still under warranty. They offered to replace it. I chose to take a MA instead. They wouldn't refund the price difference and I was fine with that. I didn't want to risk another BV with the knobs. I was glad the new style didn't have them, or I would have never took a chance on another BV.

Avery'sMama

CPST Instructor
My classic did that, but when it was still under warranty. They offered to replace it. I chose to take a MA instead. They wouldn't refund the price difference and I was fine with that. I didn't want to risk another BV with the knobs. I was glad the new style didn't have them, or I would have never took a chance on another BV.

I actually took a Marathon instead too. They were out of all of the fabric choices on the BV except Onyx and Caitlin, which both are that nylon-y material. Baby E. has super sensitive skin, and I think that nylon and the heat would be irritating, so I asked for a Marathon instead and got CowMoo to please my husband. :p Truthfully, I was willing to just get a MyRide, for the same or less, but my DH doesn't really like the MyRide we're using right now. DD2 is very petite, and this seat will work quite well for a long time to come!

KaysKidz

Senior Community Member
I actually took a Marathon instead too. They were out of all of the fabric choices on the BV except Onyx and Caitlin, which both are that nylon-y material. Baby E. has super sensitive skin, and I think that nylon and the heat would be irritating, so I asked for a Marathon instead and got CowMoo to please my husband. :p Truthfully, I was willing to just get a MyRide, for the same or less, but my DH doesn't really like the MyRide we're using right now. DD2 is very petite, and this seat will work quite well for a long time to come!

Actually, Caitlin is nothing like Onyx. I bought Caitlin for my granddaughter. It's smooth, without being nylon-y like Onyx.

I would have taken a MA again too. I like my BV70 OK...but I'm still not wild about the head wings. They don't ever seem to be around my kids head! Right now I'm using it FF, and in order to have the harness just above my DS's shoulders....the head wings are above his head! Not totally, but the majority of them. I wish I'd of just gotten a MA or even a RA!

Avery'sMama

CPST Instructor
Actually, Caitlin is nothing like Onyx. I bought Caitlin for my granddaughter. It's smooth, without being nylon-y like Onyx.

Sigh... The customer service rep said it was similar to Onyx. That's OK though, I'm happy with the MA70 in CowMoo. Wishing it would come faster!

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC