Tried Husky with short belt path in Windstar

scatterbunny

Because of the new Regent requirement to use short belt path for heavier kids, I decided to try the Husky with the short belt path in my 1999 Windstar.

I've tried the short belt path before, in a 1991 Honda Accord, a 1994 Mazda MPV and a 1993 Ford F150 truck. The only time it worked was in the truck.

Normally the Husky is in the Windstar's middle row, driver's side captain's chair, using the long belt path, recline bar and top tether.

The short belt path+recline bar did not work in that spot. The plastic-encased rigid buckle stalk was part of the problem, I think, and also the big latchplate. The buckle stalk and big latchplate kept me from being able to tighten it down enough; the latchplate would hit the side of the seat shell and stop. Because I couldn't twist the buckle stalk there was no fixing it.

Next I tried the middle of the third row. That's a lapbelt-only spot. Short belt path+recline bar again did not work, this time due to the forward-of-the-bight buckle and big latchplate.

Lap/shoulderbelt, short belt path+recline bar did work outboard in the third row, though. Not rock-solid to my liking, but less than an inch of movement at the belt path and rock-solid at the top of the seat shell.

So now I have to decide if I feel comfy using long belt path like always, in which case I can install it in the middle row driver's side captain's chair like I want, OR if I should keep it outboard in the third row and use short belt path.

I know, I know, only the Regents after 6/18 require short belt path for heavier kids, but since the seats are virtually identical I can't help but worry about long belt path with the Husky.

ADS

ajweeks

Is the official release from Britax coming tomorrow? My son is right under 50 lbs. and currently his Regent (DOM 11/06) is installed in a captain's chair, LBP, no recline bar and tethered.

I would think that the LBP would be better for heavier kids? Hopefully I can get a tight install with the SBP and recline bar if that is what Britax says...

keri1292

scatterbunny,
I have a 99 windstar too and I'm so glad that it works somewhere! I do not want to give up my husky. My dd sits outboard 3rd row already. I also won't use the LBP if it's no longer approved for the new ones regardless of Britaxes decision. Unless they can site the difference in the two seats.
My dd likes the 3rd row because I keep the passengers captain folded for easy in/outs. However, it just occured to me that it may not be crash tested that way. It locks into place so, I assumed it was fine. What do you think?
She'd hate to give up her "footstool".

scatterbunny

I always thought long belt path was better, too, mainly because it seems to hold the seat more solid, especially with tricky belts, like forward-of-the-bight belts.

At this time we don't know if Britax is going to make the new instructions (for the 6/18 DOM and newer Regents) retroactive for older Regents. My gut says yes, because they are the same seat, no changes that I am aware of. The slightly higher tether placement is the only difference I am aware of between the Husky and the Regent, which is why, even if Britax OKs the long belt path for heavier kids with the Husky but not the Regent, I probably won't feel comfy doing it. If it isn't safe for the Regent, I don't feel safe doing it with the Husky.

Keri, as far as locking the captain's chair in the folded-down position, I don't see how it could be bad in a crash, but double-check your owner's manual to be sure. I bought mine used and it didn't have an owner's manual.

MsFacetious

I got the Regents because they were so easy to install long belt path in almost any vehicle. The only vehicle I can use the seatbelt for a short belt path install is my Dad's truck, IF it would work because I haven't actually tried it. The other vehicles either I can't use the recline bar in them, or they don't have tethers, ect.

I'm using the short belt path with LATCH in my van right now. However even if they sent me out a new LATCH strap, there is no way I could get two side by side in my van with the long belt path, even with LATCH. And I obviously am not going to use the seatbelt at 40lbs when LATCH is good till 48 and I have the gen 3 seatbelts. The short belt path unbuckles itself with my seatbelts, and with the long belt path they unbuckle each other because they are so close together.

Just for fun...I figured I could do one in the second row, long belt path with LATCH... if I could get one in the third row with the lap belt. I did try putting it in the 3rd row, with the short belt path, lap belt, recline bar and tether. I tightened it as tight as I could get it and it either unbuckled itself or when I tightened the tether the seat reclined to 45 degrees! I never got a good install with it there. I could do it long belt path until 40lbs, I'm pretty sure.

But either way this leaves me with only one Regent useable once they hit 40lbs. Since they can't go side by side long belt path even with LATCH.

So, it looks like I need to decide on more than just a travel seat. Whether I should keep one Regent and get one Recaro. If those would fit side by side. I could leave the Regent in the middle and put the Recaro outboard because it has a little more SIP.

However that does me no good if there is a huge fight over who sits in what seat everytime we get in the car. I'm very disappointed in Britax about this... if they do indeed say this retroacts to the older Regents I think I'm going to call and demand they replace mine with Boulevards. I really wouldn't be comfortable using them even if it only applies to the new ones because there is not a difference in them. I really couldn't afford to buy these in the first place... I bought them because they will last the longest, I like Britax and they were the easiest to install. If they take away the ease of install these will only last me till 40lbs and then will have to be spare seats. I can't afford to have these seats sitting here getting used like once a month.

Guess it's a good thing I haven't ordered the Radians yet.. I'll probably end up just getting Recaros and I'll have to use those as travel seats too. Very frustrating. I guess I'll get the Recaros though. *sigh*

scatterbunny

Yeah, I'm wishing Hayley didn't already have a 17 inch torso; buying a seat with 19 inch top slots seems like such a waste; I feel like I've gone back in time, when she was 2.5 and had a 15 inch torso and I felt like a Marathon was a waste; well, now the Recaro seats are like the Marathon, offering 2ish inches of torso growth, and I'm not sure it's worth it. :( The Safeguard seems nice, too, and the site says it has 19.5 inch top slots, but ouch--$430!

MsFacetious

I love the Safeguard, it would be my first choice if it was even feasible. But that would only be with LATCH, it's kind of a pain with the seatbelt I think. It's is way nice, I LOVE the way it works and everything. (I have lots of pictures if you want me to email them to you.) It would be worth the price for a 33lb kid with a 14 inch torso... maybe not so much for a kid Hayley's size without a younger sibling to pass it on to. But you could always sell it when she outgrows it.

I don't even like the idea of a seat with 18 inch slots for my girls... I'd much prefer the 19 inch ones on the Recaro. Provided I can manage until then travel wise.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC