Outgrowing the Marathon by height question

snowbird25ca

Moderator - CPST Instructor
So I was re-reading my marathon manual last night when I took the cover off to wash it, and found this quote in it:

IMPORTANT: Once the top slots become necessary, the child may continue to use restraint until the top of the ears become level with the top of the restraint shell or child’s weight exceeds 22 kg (48 lb.).

* Note this is the Canadian manual, it's on page 30 under adjusting the harness height section.

So from the way this is worded, it sounds like they're saying that you can continue using the marathon with shoulders above the top slots? :scratcheshead:

I know this has recently been discussed on a radian thread, but just wondering if anyone has ever talked to Britax about this or if they know more?

ADS

Suzibeck

My manual says the same thing. When I asked about it on here I was told that Britax has changed their stance on that. They have never recalled the seats with manuals that state that however.

skaterbabs

If you call, they will say no and in training they told some techs I know that no, you can not use it past the harness slots.

LuvBug

yup all my manuals have stated that... and when you call they will tell you that it sounds like it would be ok, but thats not what it means, and you should refer back to the harness position page :rolleyes:

snowbird25ca

Moderator - CPST Instructor
yup all my manuals have stated that... and when you call they will tell you that it sounds like it would be ok, but thats not what it means, and you should refer back to the harness position page :rolleyes:

You kind of have to laugh at that since it's on the harness position page that it says that. :rolleyes:

It just made me wonder why the manual would say that - and I have a Canadian manual too, so it was revised from the original US one. They must not be all that concerned about it or they would word it differently.. not that that would make me use it above the top slots.

It did get me wondering about what other seat manuals say though. Anyone have a 3-in-1 manual to look at the wording in? Makes me wonder how many parents just leave the harness at the highest allowable setting and keep using it with the shoulders above the harness. If the manuals aren't clear... most parents aren't going to know any better.

LuvBug

supposedly they were suppose to be fixing that :rolleyes: but I dont think it has happened yet... the DC might be worded different? maybe? I havent looked in a while.

twokidstwodogs

My manual for a U.S. Marathon manufactured in 2005 says exactly the same thing. It really confused me. I ended up going with the "even with the top slots" rule.

Melizerd

What page in the US manual does it say that once the shoulders are over the top slot the seats are outgrown? Or is that the problem that it DOESN'T.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC