Do seatbelt installs damage seatbelt?

bnsnyde

Putting this up for discussion.

I had a FF Radian seatbelt install for just a few months, and it left a part of the shoulder belt crumpled. It's since been 3 months and it's still like that (belt is no longer being used in that seating position). It's a new vehicle, too.

If I look closely, the webbing loops are bigger in this area of the crumpled belt.
Looks like this kind of damage in inevitable with a nice, solid install.

Is this real damage? Concern?

ADS

joolsplus3

Admin - CPS Technician
Mine sort of all look like that, except in the front seats... No, I'm not worried about it. I'd worry if they were running like a stocking or had cuts on the edges, but not about permanent crumples. :)

crunchierthanthou

I have my doubts about the ff lock-off Britax used from about 2007 to mid-2010. The knob/notch design seemed like it could damage the webbing. Someone posted pictures of what almost looked like a run in her belt. IIRC, she had pulled the shoulder portion super tight before flipping the lock-off closed, so the belt was constantly pulling pulling back against where it was pinned.

In pretty much any other case? no. I think your belts will be fine. Wrinkles don't make me nervous given the IMMI data I've seen on twists.

jourdysmom

CPST Instructor
I have my doubts about the ff lock-off Britax used from about 2007 to mid-2010. The knob/notch design seemed like it could damage the webbing. Someone posted pictures of what almost looked like a run in her belt. IIRC, she had pulled the shoulder portion super tight before flipping the lock-off closed, so the belt was constantly pulling pulling back against where it was pinned.

In pretty much any other case? no. I think your belts will be fine. Wrinkles don't make me nervous given the IMMI data I've seen on twists.

:yeahthat: My FF Britax lockoff THRASHED my shoulder belt in DH's car :( That is a LATCH only spot now :( I just don't trust it anymore....

luckyclov

I would only be concerned if the bunching/crumpling caused the webbing not to retract properly, which, in that location, it wouldn't be an issue anyways.

Pixels

:yeahthat: My FF Britax lockoff THRASHED my shoulder belt in DH's car :( That is a LATCH only spot now :( I just don't trust it anymore....

You could use a BSC to take the damaged section of belt out. Of course only for seat installation, not human installation.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC