SN and flying with Britax

U

Unregistered

Hi all! I am wondering if anyone can answer a question.
I am from Canada, we are going to be flying from the U.S. with a Canadian car seat - Britax Traveller Plus special needs car seat. Does anyone know if this will fit in the airline seats?
My dd has no trunk or head control so needs the seat to fly, we have never been on a plane with her before so I am very nervous about how this will work.
I had a peak at the CARES harness that has been mentioned in other posts here and it would not support her, she requires a 5 point, head support and laterals.
TIA!!

ADS

LISmama810

Admin - CPS Technician
Hi there, and welcome :)

A couple questions for you: Are you flying a US or Canadian airline? Is the Traveler Plus approved for airline use? (There will be a sticker on it somewhere. I should probably know that, but I don't.)

If you're flying an airline based in the US, you're allowed to use any restraint labeled for airline use (even if it's a restraint from another country). I can provide a link to the FAA regulations if you'd like. (It's a good idea to carry them with you since many flight crews aren't up-to-speed on child restraints.)

If your seat isn't approved for airline use, it can't be used on an American plane.

I'm not familiar with Canadian regulations, so someone else would have to chime in about that.

Shaunam

What is your daughters age, height, and weight? I don't think the traveller will fit....it's awfully wide. Does she have a wheelchair or medical stroller that is approved for transport?

carseatcoach

Carseat Crankypants
The Traveller Plus is based on the Husky/Regent, so I do not think it will be able to be used on the airplane.

What is your child's height and weight?

flipper68

Senior Community Member
Unfortunately, as others have said, the Traveler is based on a Regent/Husky and is not airline approved - too big.

The Special Tomato seat is airline approved. . . I'm not up on some of the newer SN seats.

I've traveled with a SN friend - CP, does not sit w/o support, but she does have head control. She was small enough at age 7 to fit in a Marathon, which does fit on a plane. I was with her mom, dad, older brother and younger brother.

One of us boarded with the seat and installed, then parent would bring DD on board. Lastly, the adult with the baby would board (no, he didn't have a seat on the plane). . . When we landed, we did the reverse - leave with baby, wait for w/c for DD and leave plane. Last adult brought out the Britax. It wasn't too bad, except for the last flight when baby brother was DONE!

Since it looks unlikely that you will have a SN CR on the plane, what other positioning devices can you use? (I'm thinking about bolsters, towels, or pillows to help keep her upright.)

The CARES is only for use up to 44 lbs. If your child is under 40 lbs, maybe there is a "regular" HWH carseat that would work. We'll need her stats to see if this is true.

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
If you contact the airlines you will be flying, you may be able to get a special letter of permission to use the SN seat on board, since she requires it to be able to sit upright, even though it is not approved. If not, because it won't fit or... whatever... they may be able to provide you with a list of alternatives, either for you to bring, or that they can provide with enough notice.

TechnoGranola

Forum Ambassador
Is the Traveler Plus approved for airline use? (There will be a sticker on it somewhere. I should probably know that, but I don't.)
All Canadian seats will have a CMVSS maple leaf sticker. There will be a number on the sticker saying which CMVSS certification they have. For example, any seat approved to 213, 213.1 and 213.2 (someone correct me if I'm wrong on those numbers please) are all approved for airline use. That means all non-special needs infant seats, convertible and combination seats (or whatever our technical terms are for those seats in Canada) can be used on aircraft.

I *think* 213.5 is for infant special needs seats and 213.3 is for older child/adults special needs seats. And I have no idea if those certifications require the inversion test for aircraft approval. According to what others have said, it appears that these certifications would not require it if the seat in question is not aircraft approved in Canada.

U

Unregistered

Thank you so much for all of your answers!!
My dd is 5 1/2 years and about 43-45 pounds. She is very tall (not sure of the cm) but she is in the 95% for kids with CP.

I will check for the sticker numbers tonight, but I have looked through info about the car seat since posting yesterday and I agree with what many here have posted, doesn't look good that it is approved for flying.

Her brother has a convertible car seat that is used as a booster right now, I still have the 5 point harnesses for it, I will see if it is approved for flying. It would be better than nothing. Unfortunately rolls and pillows won't work with her, she has a very strong pelvic thrust that she can't help so she would be on the floor in seconds (she literally goes under seatbelts no matter how tight!) and she needs the upper body support as her tone is extremely hypotonic.

The special tomato is not approved in Canada as far as I know so that isn't an option for us to even borrow from someone here. I believe that there is only one SN car seat approved in Canada besides the Traveller Plus but it is simply a large seat, no support.

Thank you again for all the great suggestions, I will follow up on all of them. I think we will contact the airline and see if we can get a letter of permission for special circumstances.

carseatcoach

Carseat Crankypants
If she is very tall and very thin, she might be able to use a Recaro convertible, which is FAA approved and very confining and supportive.

Even if you could get a letter of permission (which is unlikely IMO, because it would be a huge liability to use a non-FAA approved seat), the Traveler Plus simply will not fit in a coach-class seat.

bubbaray

OP should ask that this thread be x-posted to the Canadian forum. There is a post here that references the Special Tomato being available on special order in Canada. That is my understanding, SNs seats here need special approval from TC.

OP, I would call the airline and ask what they suggest. If your DD is unable to fit in a child restraint that fits on a plane and isn't restrained during take off and landing in the seatbelt (ie., you said that with a lapbelt, she still falls to the floor), I suspect that they are going to refuse to board her (not saying that is right, BTW). I would strongly suggest that you get someone in writing from the airline as they are notorious for having CS agents say one thing and gate agents or cabin crew say completely contrary things.

GL!

Shaunam

While she's in her current seat, can you measure from her bottom to her shoulder? Even being tall she could still fit nicely in a regular seat. My dd is in the 95th for cp kids too and still fits in many seats with room to grow, despite the massive torso she inherited from her dad. :rolleyes:

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC