I have a question about becoming a CPST

kidzndogz

I've been considering taking a course for this, and I found a website that lists courses available in AZ and what the course consists of.

My question is what do you do as a CPST? I mean I know you check and install car seats, but is it volunteer? Is it a job (ie do you work for hospitals or the fire department?)? Once you have your certification what do you do? I'd really like to get as much information as I can. :)

ADS

Loves2sing

For the most part being a tech is a volunteer position. I had heard, but it is very rare, of people getting paid for it. This is not always a recommended thing to do, as it presents liability issues. As a volunteer you are protected under the good samaritan laws. However once you are paid, you are no longer protected that way, and can be sued for any mistakes you may have made, or any misconceptions a parent may have had about your advice. So your safest bet keeping kids safe, is to be a tech in a volunteer position.

I am not a tech, but this information is what I have understood from other threads regarding this same subject.

kidzndogz

Great! Liability is exactly what I was worried about. I wanted to volunteer, I just wasn't sure how you go about it once you're certified. I'm assuming you find out when you take the course.

Namegirl

Senior Community Member
You can volunteer with your local SafeKids coalition or your local police department. It's fun!

littleangelfire

I would love to take the courses, too, since it would give me some credibility when I'm trying to share what I've learned with people. But, since I can't even afford my son's car seat, LOL, its a frivolous fantasy. :( Oh, but what I could do with it, though! I'd love to have a CPST (or be one) and have a booth at our church's special events. It is SOOO frustrating to constantly see kids in the wrong seats there. Most of the time they're not expired, but most of the kids my son's age (almost 3) have been in boosters for months now b/c its 'more convenient'. I've given gentle nudges, but I think they all think I'm just overprotective, even though I'M the one that allows my son to climb on stuff and run while I'm near by. LOL I'm not overprotective, I let him do the 'risky' stuff he needs to do to grow up, but not the risky stuff that could take his life before he gets to grow up. Anyways, just thought I'd share.
:)

flipper68

Senior Community Member
I would love to take the courses, too, since it would give me some credibility when I'm trying to share what I've learned with people. But, since I can't even afford my son's car seat, LOL, its a frivolous fantasy. :( Oh, but what I could do with it, though! I'd love to have a CPST (or be one) and have a booth at our church's special events. It is SOOO frustrating to constantly see kids in the wrong seats there. Most of the time they're not expired, but most of the kids my son's age (almost 3) have been in boosters for months now b/c its 'more convenient'. I've given gentle nudges, but I think they all think I'm just overprotective, even though I'M the one that allows my son to climb on stuff and run while I'm near by. LOL I'm not overprotective, I let him do the 'risky' stuff he needs to do to grow up, but not the risky stuff that could take his life before he gets to grow up. Anyways, just thought I'd share.
:)

If you're interested in getting certified, connect up with your local Safe Kids as a volunteer as events. You don't have to be a tech to hand out stickers to the kids or be a 'scribe' for techs. . .

Getting your face out there might be a way to meet someone who will sponsor/pay for you to take the course. Diddo for your church. . .maybe the parents group or the seniors would be willing to help you take the course and in turn provide services through your church. (There are waivers and Safe Kids forms that give "some" protection from liability. Basically they say, "I'm a volunteer. I'm giving you the best knowledge I have, but I'm human."

[My principal (school funds) paid for my courses and in return, I did a couple presentations at school.]

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC