New seat or FF?

3monkeys

My daughter just turned 3. She weighs about 27 pounds and is RF in a Scenera. She has about 1.5 inches of hard shell above her head. Are there any seats that fit a longer child or am I better off FF facing her at this point?

We would need a narrow seat, as we have 3 across our backseat. Our son will be 6 in March, is about 43 pounds and is harnessed in his GN, and our almost 11 year old is in a Turbobooster.

ADS

hrice

The Scenera is one of the smallest convertibles on the market. There are many seats that you could RF your 3yo in. You can look at the Safety First Complete Air or a Sunshine Kids Radian. What vehicle do you drive?

If it were my child, and since you asked, *I* would purchase a new seat to continue to RF a 3yo if I could afford it. That said, it is perfectly reasonable and safe to FF a 3yo.

Kac

Ambassador - CPS Technician
At three, I personally wuouldn't buy another seat to RF in unless I had extra money.

You could FF her in the Scenera until she outgrows itor until you're ready to booster train your son. Then you could give the Nautilus to your DD. Of course it depends on when the Nautilus expires.

If you were to get a new seat, what's your budget?

V

VanIsleMommy

my three year old is 31 pounds and about 37" tall and I bought him a new seat a few months ago since he was nearing the weight limit of his true fit. I ended up with a radian, which he can use for quite some time still, and then it will be an awesome FF seat as well. I wouldn't say a RF seat is a waste of money at three as long as she has some room to grow in it, and it will be used as a FF seat until she's in a booster. keep in mind that their growth slows down a lot at this age.

3monkeys

I had been looking at the complete air, it goes on sale quite often at zellers. If I was to get a new seat, my budget would be pretty small, maybe $150, so definatley not a radian.

I know we can still get a few more months out of the scenera before she truly outgrows it, I just like to be prepared and have the money set aside for a new seat if needed.

The DOM on the Natuilus is 2008, so we still have a few years left with that seat. My plan is to give it to DD when DS moves to a booster. What is the "ideal" age to start booster training? I'm in no hurry to move him to a booster, but it will help me figure out what to do about DD.

selinajean

The Complete Air is on sale at Zellers right now for $99 if you can find one in stock.

As for booster readiness, as soon as the child is 40 pounds AND mature enough to sit properly in a seatbelt they can start using a booster seat. For most children this is around 5-6 years old. The main thing is making sure that they understand the importance of sitting still and not leaning out of the belt.

Keeanh

If you can't find the Complete Air at Zellers, I believe it's also on sale at Toys R Us now, and will be starting Friday at Canadian Tire for $140.

snowbird25ca

Moderator - CPST Instructor
I had been looking at the complete air, it goes on sale quite often at zellers. If I was to get a new seat, my budget would be pretty small, maybe $150, so definatley not a radian.

I know we can still get a few more months out of the scenera before she truly outgrows it, I just like to be prepared and have the money set aside for a new seat if needed.

The DOM on the Natuilus is 2008, so we still have a few years left with that seat. My plan is to give it to DD when DS moves to a booster. What is the "ideal" age to start booster training? I'm in no hurry to move him to a booster, but it will help me figure out what to do about DD.

My dd went in to a booster in our secondary vehicle at just over 5.5yrs old. She was boostered full time in our main vehicle at 6yrs and 4 months and hasn't ridden in a harness since. She was actually ready to booster full time about 3.5 to 4 months prior to when she actually moved to her booster in our main vehicle, but she preferred to be harnessed on longer trips so I waited to switch her to a booster in our car until she asked - though I regularly checked in with her whenever I had seats out for whatever reason.

The Complete Air is on sale at TRU in store for $139.98 if your store has stock. I know not too long ago costco.ca had it for fairly cheap.

That being said, if you figure you have a few more months left in the Scenera I'd consider whether you think your son is going to be ready to start using a booster or not. If your dd will last in the Scenera until your son is in a booster, then I wouldn't suggest buying another seat to keep rf'ing a 3yr old. As it is, I'm not sure that I would buy another seat to keep rf'ing your dd. The only thing that would make me consider it would be if you think she'll outgrow the Scenera ff'ing before your ds is ready to be in a booster full time anyways. In which case, you'd be needing to buy a seat anyways.. :thumbsup:

Maybe give yourself a few months to see what happens with your dd? (sorry for x-posting with others. I walked away for supper and forgot to hit reply first.)

3monkeys

Thank you for the input. I think I will wait it out for a couple more months. She just had a growth spurt in the summer, so I think we're ok for a little longer.

I have put DS in a booster for the very short drives to his school and he's better at sitting up straight than our 10 year old is. I think by the time DD has outgrown the scenera we'll be good to booster DS and put DD in the Nautilus.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC