Canadians and Alaskans...

grumpybear

What kind of tires do you have on during the winter?
I live in AK and have always used studded tires but then I just heard about this all-season tire that has extra sipes in it.
Is that a safer option?

Our road conditions here during the winter are not ideal. Our roads don't get salted so there is always a layer of ice on the road.

Any input would be appreciated.

ADS

An Aurora

Senior Community Member
I wouldn't do all-season, extra sipes or no. The rubber is different--stiffer and not as pliable.

I have had Hakkepeliita (studded and studless) and the Nokian Blizzaks. I really liked the Blizzaks, and would have bought those this year, but they would have to special order them in the size I need. We ended up getting Cooper studded tires, and have only had the one snow, but they are doing great so far.

ETA: if you have constant ice, I'd get studded tires. The winter tires are great for snow, but the extra weight of the studs is awesome on ice.

grumpybear

Thank you. My studded tires are actually still in good condition. I'm asking because we carpool with another family and they don't have studs on their tires and they mentioned the sipes. I didn't feel very comfortable with that. We live in the Kenai and the roads here always have a layer of ice.

I guess my next problem now is how to break up a carpooling relationship.

Thank you for the input again. I've been reading about Blizzak and it seems like it is an excellent option.

Starlight

Senior Community Member
We're in Anch and have brand new Hankook studded tires. We just had our first snowfall last week and took the 'burb out to check them out. We ran a few errands and were pretty pleased to find that we were able to grip the road pretty nicely, even in places where we watched others spin.

amyd

I'm in New Brunswick. We are allowed studded tires between October 15-May 1, but we've never used them. Good quality winter tires are sufficient here. Our city is very very thorough about salting and snow removal.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC