Radian Superlatch Incompatibility in Ford Escape

cat mommy

I understand the Radians install pretty well in Escapes. I have a 2008 Ford Escape and am trying to figure out if there are any know incompatibility issues with Superlatch in this vehicle. I prefer to install with LATCH (for a variety of reasons) and plan to only get this seat if Superlatch is an option.

Thanks.

ADS

EmmaCPST

CPST Instructor
I did one (RF) in a friend's 2011 Escape, not sure if they're the same but it was amazingly simple, one of the easiest Radian installs I've done! She's only had it in for about a month, but we talked about the superlatch stuff and she hasn't had any problems thus far.

tanusscott22

The Radian instruction manual (XTSL version) says that super latch can only be used in 2005 and new automobiles. Since yours is a 2008 there is no issue with the Radian, but you should check you Ford manual to see what the weight limits are on your latch anchors and top tether. :)

LISmama810

Admin - CPS Technician
tanusscott22 said:
The Radian instruction manual (XTSL version) says that super latch can only be used in 2005 and new automobiles. Since yours is a 2008 there is no issue with the Radian, but you should check you Ford manual to see what the weight limits are on your latch anchors and top tether. :)

The issue isn't whether it can be used, but whether it can be used without loosening on its own or whether a child's foot can accidentally loosen the LATCH strap. The SL has been known to have those problems in some cars.

Also, SuperLATCH can be used in any vehicle with LATCH. According to Sunshine Kids, it can be used past the limit (48 lbs for Ford) in post-Sept. 2005 vehicles, but a parent would need to make the decision whether or not to ignore the vehicle instructions.

luckyclov

I have a friend with a 2009 or 2010 Escape and an 80SL installed with SL. No loosening issues so far - but she continues to check the install daily.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC