Making kids safer, one question at a time.  Welcome to the Car-Seat.Org community!   Motor Vehicle Crashes are the #1 cause of fatal injury for children and adults, age groups 1 to 34.   Selecting a safe car, minivan or SUV, plus correctly using child restraints and seatbelts may be the most important things you can do to protect your family.   Need help installing an infant, convertible or booster seat?   Looking for carseat reviews or compatibility advice? Need help buying the best and safest car seats for your baby, toddler or older kid?   No question is a bad one, so please click here to ask our experts a question and then join our friendly community of moms, dads, caregivers and advocates in the USA and Canada.   Thank you for visiting; buckle-up and drive safely!

Sponsored Ads

+ Reply to Thread
    Carseat Crazy

Radian Superlatch Incompatibility in Ford Escape

I understand the Radians install pretty well in Escapes. I have a 2008 Ford Escape and am trying to figure out if there are any know incompatibility issues with Superlatch in this vehicle. I prefer to install with LATCH (for a variety of reasons) and plan to only get this seat if Superlatch is an option.

Thanks.

2. # ADS
    Sponsored Ads

Re: Radian Superlatch Incompatibility in Ford Escape

I did one (RF) in a friend's 2011 Escape, not sure if they're the same but it was amazingly simple, one of the easiest Radian installs I've done! She's only had it in for about a month, but we talked about the superlatch stuff and she hasn't had any problems thus far.
    Emma
    CPST-I & Colorado Mama to 5 year old Sam & 1 year old Grace, riding in a Frontier and a Coccoro.

4. Thank You from:

CPS Fanatic
    I know I've seen issues in Explorers in the NHTSA database, not sure how different they are.

6. Thank You from:

The Radian instruction manual (XTSL version) says that super latch can only be used in 2005 and new automobiles. Since yours is a 2008 there is no issue with the Radian, but you should check you Ford manual to see what the weight limits are on your latch anchors and top tether.
    G 2009 G 2011 G 2012 G 2015 G 2017

8. Thank You from:

Admin - CPS Technician LISmama810's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by tanusscott22
    The Radian instruction manual (XTSL version) says that super latch can only be used in 2005 and new automobiles. Since yours is a 2008 there is no issue with the Radian, but you should check you Ford manual to see what the weight limits are on your latch anchors and top tether.
    The issue isn't whether it can be used, but whether it can be used without loosening on its own or whether a child's foot can accidentally loosen the LATCH strap. The SL has been known to have those problems in some cars.

Also, SuperLATCH can be used in any vehicle with LATCH. According to Sunshine Kids, it can be used past the limit (48 lbs for Ford) in post-Sept. 2005 vehicles, but a parent would need to make the decision whether or not to ignore the vehicle instructions.

10. Thank You from:

I have a friend with a 2009 or 2010 Escape and an 80SL installed with SL. No loosening issues so far - but she continues to check the install daily.
    CPST & Mom to:
    Keep (11 yrs old, 57", 80 lbs), in an Olli, Ozzi & BB
    Sass (10 yrs old, 54", 76 lbs), in Santa Fe, Monterey & Olli
    Zilla (4 yrs old, 38", 36 lbs), FF in a PS, RXT & FR85
    Rollin' in a 2014 Ody, 2012 F-150 SuperCrew & Luigi, a peppy little 2012 Fiat 500

12. Thank You from: