Question Why the new recommendation to harness to 7?

Athena

According to the research (not presented) by Transport Canada, you ARE doing the right thing. It is the law here to booster until 40#.

Thank you for your feedback! What about when she is 40 pounds (which may be now because I have not weighed her for a couple months ... avoiding doing so because I want that excuse that she is not 40 pounds ;))? I guess I just feel like I had gotten the impression on here that I should keep her harnessed and now I am reading things discouraging extended harnessing.

I'm confused, if the new recs are to harness to the limits or until age 8, why are We always telling parents on here that its fine too booster the 5 and up crew if they fit and sit properly.

Yes, I feel your confusion!

I think one thing that makes it confusing is that they put an age or to the limits of the seat. Which for all the folks who buy 40 lb short shelled seats, is going to be much earlier (possibly even under 5) than those who buy seats like the Nautilus and Frontier. So it's OK for a 4 year old who hits 40 lbs and outgrows the small seat, but not OK if you own a seat that is longer lasing. :confused:

Yes, very confusing!

ADS

carseatcoach

Carseat Crankypants
You know, for many many kids, age 5 is a year of tremendous growth. I feel very differently about a newly-5yo in a booster than I do about an almost-6yo. I have the most difficulty giving advice to parents of 5yos (when I don't know the kids), because there is so much variation in 5yos. I'm pretty confident in saying that 4yos should optimally be harnessed, and I'm reasonably comfortable with most physically and developmentally typical 6yos in boosters. But five is a stumper.

Sorry for the musings.

Pixels

They are saying that if your kid fits in the current harnessed seat, they are safer staying harnessed and so you should not move them to a booster. But if the seat is outgrown, of course that is unsafe, and they are not recommending that parents should go and buy another seat to keep their kid harnessed.

It's not unlike rear facing to the limits: keep them rear facing as long as they fit, they are safer that way and why not? But at some point the safety difference no longer warrants actually spending money (which some families do not have) to keep them rear facing.

Athena

I suppose part of what got me thinking about this is the realization that, while I bought my 3 yo new harnessed seats, most people would have handed them down and moved their recently turned 5 yo to a booster.

carseatcoach

Carseat Crankypants
They are saying that if your kid fits in the current harnessed seat, they are safer staying harnessed and so you should not move them to a booster. But if the seat is outgrown, of course that is unsafe, and they are not recommending that parents should go and buy another seat to keep their kid harnessed.

It's not unlike rear facing to the limits: keep them rear facing as long as they fit, they are safer that way and why not? But at some point the safety difference no longer warrants actually spending money (which some families do not have) to keep them rear facing.

Yes. We also have to remember that the recommendations are written for the general public, who considers carseat shopping an expensive chore, and not for c-s.o members who tend to look forward to new seats.

christineka

I agree with the point being to keep kids harnessed as long as they fit in their seats. At seat checks I often come across barely 30 pound, 3 or 4 year old children who have been moved to boosters because they meet the booster's minimums. I get parents of tiny 4 year olds who come because they think they need to get a booster for their kid now that they are 4 and 30 pounds. I explain to them that if their child fits the harness, they are safer riding harnessed. Then again, I get a very few kids who have long outgrown their car seat, but the parent thought it was safer to keep the child harnessed.

At any rate, I think that I have the tools necessary to decide when my own children are ready to move to a booster full time.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC