Question Why the new recommendation to harness to 7?

glockchick

I just moved DD to a booster. She's 5 yrs, 2 months, and a tad over 40 lbs.

She fits in the booster perfectly. I neurotically check on her, but she hasn't moved out of position once except when she fell asleep yesterday. Her brother was in the 3rd row with her to put her back again.

I'm debating re-harnessing her. I will for sure on longer trips, but is there a reason to on short ones where I know she won't be sleeping? She's not going to be happy going back to a harness as it is.

I guess I'm wondering why it's now 7 as the recommended age for a booster? When I took my tech class, they were adamant that every step up in car seats is a step down in safety; that no matter what the age of the child, as long as it fit, a 5 pt harness is safer than a booster.

ADS

skaterbabs

The reason for the change is that there is no hard evidence to suggest that one is better than another once the child is mature enough to sit properly in a booster. For most children, this means by age 7 they are able to use a belt-positioning booster seat without an issue. Also, by age 7, most children are physically large enough that the booster will properly position the seat belt.

Younger children typically do not have the impulse control necessary to sit properly 100% of the time (or they slump out of place when sleeping). They can also simply be too small for the booster to effectively work, often resulting in injuries from a poorly fitted seat belt.

Does this help answer your question?

armywife12

I haven't heard this yet but what I have read is that there is no evidence showing that a harness is safer than a booster once the child is old enough, mature enough, and big enough to be in one.

glockchick

Yes. So to be on the safe side I should probably re-harness her huh?

The booster is a bit tippy in that position anyway. Now to go out and see if I can get the RN installed right there or if that seating position hates me as well. I'm not sure what I'd get for her if I can't get the RN in there.

skaterbabs

I started booster training Joy at that age - short rides in her grandmother's or aunt's cars when there was another adult present so that I could monitor her. She did very well, but we didn't move to a booster full-time until she was 6 or so.

glockchick

I haven't heard this yet but what I have read is that there is no evidence showing that a harness is safer than a booster once the child is old enough, mature enough, and big enough to be in one.

So would you consider a 5 yr, 2 mth old child old enough I guess. Even when her head fell forward, her belt was on correctly. Her head was under the head wings though. :rolleyes:

murphydog77

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
So would you consider a 5 yr, 2 mth old child old enough I guess. Even when her head fell forward, her belt was on correctly. Her head was under the head wings though. :rolleyes:

It wouldn't bother me. I've not heard of age 7 as a guideline. NHTSA gives it as an upper recommendation; the AAP gives age 8. It's a nice goal to aim toward, but when most kids are put in boosters around age 3 (at least around here), I wouldn't worry about the 5 yr old kids of a CSO-orger.

Jessica61624

My dd will be moving to a booster shortly after her 5th birthday. She's rode in it a few times and did really well. She has to repeat the rules before we drive off. I think some kids are ready earlier than others. With the lack of data I feel its parental decision to booster before they out grow their harnessed seat.

Shanora

My just turned (In August) 6 year old is in a booster, and I have no plans to move him back into a Harness. He Sits and sleeps just fine in his Monterey.

VoodooChile

My dd moved to a booster about a month after her 5th birthday and is a great booster rider. I have no plans to reharness her either.

Athena

I find the whole thing very confusing too because I thought I was doing the right thing to keep my not quite 40 pound 5 yo harnessed, but then I read things here that suggest some people think boosters are safer. :confused: For us, she's completely happy being harnessed and feels really good about being able to buckle herself in (something I hear can be harder with a booster). Something I've wondered about myself is how one explains the booster rules without that huge responsibility causing the child excessive worry and stress.

StillThankful

I had DD1 in a booster but she is WAY too much of a sleeper for me to feel comfortable so I reharnessed her. Otherwise, I would still booster her. She fit in it great and stayed put.

Her current seat--the EFTA-- looks like a small toddler seat so I told her that I'm going to get her a "big girl seat" in January--the new Evenflo Secure Kid 400. I don't have side airbags in either car, so I'm excited to get this because it passes the Aussie Side Impact Standards!

Pixels

It wouldn't bother me. I've not heard of age 7 as a guideline. NHTSA gives it as an upper recommendation; the AAP gives age 8. It's a nice goal to aim toward, but when most kids are put in boosters around age 3 (at least around here), I wouldn't worry about the 5 yr old kids of a CSO-orger.

NHTSA and AAP both say that children should remain in their harnessed seats as long as they fit up to the 8th birthday, and then move to a booster. This is based on evidence (they say, don't ask me for source) that younger children are at greater risk in a booster.

glockchick

I put the Radian in for her. If nothing else, I'll be less distracted while driving since I won't feel like I have to watch her like a hawk. ;). But she's only got about an inch of torso height to grow so I guess I'll be boostering her soon anyway.

Another booster may work better for her too. She was in a TB. I'd love to get a PW for her. Abi always slept great in hers but ex took it when we divorced. It was the old style. I wish I could get both of them new ones but of course they don't make it anymore.

bnsnyde

All these new seats coming out are exciting, and I wonder if they'll push the trend upward of when people switch.

LOL, Graco Snugride 22, 32, 35... will it keep going? 40, 45? :) Maybe infant seats alone will get kids to 2+ with some tweaks.

But, I guess I'm an upper-limit type of person. So if 8 is an upper-limit guideline (and I don't hear any research that says otherwise) we'll aim for that. All the higher-weight harness seats are opening up options.

It means new seats to keep up with new guidelines, but hey, I like new seats. If I'd have kept the ones I had (still unexpired, perfectly fine) the weight limits were so low (RF and FF) I'd be completely NOT doing best practice by 2011 standards.

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
5 1/2-7 is the age at which I think most kids are ready to begin using a booster, based on my experiences with kids that age. And, it's a process. Short rides first, then longer and longer, and harness for sleeping until they can keep themselves up even while asleep. Most kids aren't going to do as well going straight from a harness to a booster full-time as if they can be gradually eased into it and have time to get used to it. There are obviously times when we have a 5-6 year old come in in a harness that's outgrown, and we have to have them leave in a booster right then. But ideally, it's a process.

bubbaray

I moved my DD#1 to a booster at age 5y1m. Her fit was checked in the Monterey at my tech class (thanks Quassee!). No regrets. Fit was great, she's very compliant in the booster.

Now, my DD#2. She may remain harnessed until she gets her DL. LOL. We'll see. For now, I don't plan on switching her out of her FR in my SUV. I might possibly booster her in DH's truck (she's currently in a RN).

I'm actually kinda in denial that my baby will be FIVE in 3 months. :eek:

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC