European Side Impact Protection Standards

StillThankful

Is the Recaro Prosport the only seat available in the US that passes the European Side Impact Protection standards?

Why doesn't the US have Side Impact Protection standards? Please don't tell me about the beloved crash sled, which also has no floor (and that's why we can't have the foot prop).:rolleyes:

It just urks me when looking at all those neat solidly, built Sweden seats that have the rebound [recline?] bar AND foot prop that substantially reduces both downward rotation and rebound.

I understand that in order to make a seat "legal" in the US, it has to be tested here but gee wizz, if it's crash tested beyond our current minimums then it should be good to go--but maybe it's just me. I know it involves the fact that their cars are different than ours but still.....

I'm annoyed once again...I'll get over it though.

ADS

StillThankful

I'm pretty sure the new evenflo seats say they have been tested to euro SI standards, from the ABCkids info.

Thanks. :)

I can't find anything on it though. What type of evenflo have been tested to the euro SI standards? Are there any links at which I can take a peek?

Update--I found it!!! Evenflo SecureKid 400--I'm so going to get it for DD1 sinced we don't have side airbags. At $159 who can resist!!! This matches my budget more so than the Prosport [which I also love] and it offers the Aussi SI standard testing protection too. I'm in love once again:) http://carseatblog.com/13221/abc-expo-2011-what’s-new-from-evenflo/

StillThankful

Is it available in Canada?

Not right now. So maybe there is hope in the future? Here is the link to the blog saying that it's not coming to Canada right now. http://carseatblog.com/12855/abc-show-how-we-spent-our-friday/

There are also two new seats coming out by Graco that pass the Euro Side Impact Protection Standards [you may already know this]:

1. The Graco My Ride 65 Safety Surround Side Impact Protection for $179
2. Graco Turbobooster [redesigned to meet the Euro Side Impact Protection Standards] for $69

The blog didn't mention anything about those seats being unavailable in Canada.

HTH

christineka

I'm no expert on this, but I was recently researching car seats in Russia. They do have aftermarket products that are dangerous and Russian-made seats that are not particularly safe, but they do require their car seats to pass the European tests. The seats I saw that are available in both Russian and the US are (This is not a comprehensive list, just the seats I saw for sale in Rubles or on Russia's car seat page): Recaro seats (It was actually the young sport and the monza rather than the prosport and probooster, but I believe they are very close), the maxi cosi priori and the rodi, and the orbit baby toddler seat.

StillThankful

I noticed that the new Graco My Ride 65 Safety Surround passes Euro Side Impact Protection (draft standard); therefore, I researched what the draft standard was and came across this paper examining current side impact testing for child restraints currently in place (2006-7?) and current accident data in Europe and USA.

Of course, rearfacing children are more protected in frontal and lateral impact collisions. The child on the opposite side of the impact, fairs as much as a child would in a frontal collision. The main injuries to a child nearest the struck side are to his/her head, neck, and thorax.

The study concludes that there is a need for side impact testing for CRs to include, • Intrusion velocity range: 7 – 10 m/s , • Intrusion depth: approx. 250 mm, • Sled acceleration range: 10 – 15 g, • Door panel height: approx. 500 mm, • Distance between door and CRS centre line: 300 mm

Here is the link: http://www-nrd.nhtsa.dot.gov/pdf/esv/esv20/07-0241-W.pdf

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC