Question Help me pick a minivan (Canada)

Veronemilie

I need to buy a minivan & would like some help. The 2 minivans with the better ratings & such that are more widely available in my area & my price range are the Ford Windstar & the Dodge Caravan/Grand Caravan. I cant seem to make up my mind witch one I want. I am also open to suggestions of other good minivans.

The background: We have a 3 year old who is FF in a convertible (Safety 1st) (I had to FF him at 2 because his seat didn't fit right in our truck (Dodge Ram 1500 V8 4X4 2000 with the partial doors in the back)). I pick up 2 girls after daycare/school and watch them until one of their parents get off work, one of the girls is FF in a 2-in-1 & the other one is in a backless booster. I need to find a new vehicle (mine was damaged in an accident & we didn't bother trying to fix it (damage was more than value of vehicle) so we just took it off the road). Plus we want to have another child. I originally started out looking for an SUV but we decided to get a minivan as they were cheaper & we already had a 4X4 vehicle that could fit our family. If I can "wing it" I would love to be able to put my son RF again (though I may have a bit of a fight on my hands).

Alright I would like a van that has decent safety ratings, good handling, front wheel drive (minimum, all wheel drive preferred), 8 passenger (or 7 passenger that we can easily replace the second row seat to make it an 8 passenger), roomy in the back seats, decent cargo area (will likely mean we need the extended model), great heater (this is a must as it gets COLD here in the winter), Easy car seat installation (especially RF'ing). OK I think thats it for now but I am sure you ladies will think of other things I need.

Just to give you guys an Idea of my options here is the link to my customized Kijiji search (if there is a problem with me posting this link please let me know & I will remove it ASAP) http://ottawa.kijiji.ca/f-cars-vehicles-cars-trucks-Gatineau-W0QQAQ5fCarBodyTypeZvanminicommaQQAQ5fCarMileageInKmsQ5fmaxZ200000QQAdTypeZ2QQCatIdZ174QQLocationZ1700186QQSortZ2QQmaxPriceZ4Q2c000

Thanks

ADS

jourdysmom

CPST Instructor
The Montana/Venture and clones have terrible crash ratings AND tended to have significant engine problems at about 100,000 miles. I had my 2003 Montana motor replaced at 109,000 miles at a cost of a whopping $2300 for a motor out of a totaled 2001 with 9,000 miles on it.

The 2001 Dodge Grand Caravan has the best car seat options as there are Top Tethers in every rear position. My mother has a 2001 and though it is quite rusty and has nearly 200,000 miles on it, it has just needed regular maintenance, no other major issues.

Good luck!

mkmama

The 2001 Dodge Grand Caravan has the best car seat options as there are Top Tethers in every rear position.

In the US (no idea if its same for Canada) the 2000 Ford Windstar also had top tethers in every rear seating position, in addition to the front passenger seat, and had 4 full sets of LATCH.

However, my van (and I've heard of others doing it too) started going "crazy" around 115k miles...lights would randomly flicker, all the dashboard instruments would randomly start flipping back and forth really fast, etc...even after we had the instrument panel completely replaced once. And there were a number of recalls on them...so though I loved it for car seat installation, not sure I'd necessarily recommend one.

Veronemilie

OK so we are most likely going to be getting a 2001 Dodge Grand Caravan. Only problem is we have 2 to choose from & I cant decide witch one would be better.

This one is cheaper,it doesn't need any repairs, but it has more mileage.
http://ottawa.kijiji.ca/c-cars-vehicles-cars-trucks-2001-Dodge-Grand-Caravan-Fourgonnette-W0QQAdIdZ325182021

This one has about 1/4 of the mileage of the other one, but it needs minor repairs (2 front breaks, window motor & refill AC) & is more expensive.
http://ottawa.kijiji.ca/c-cars-vehicles-cars-trucks-2001-Dodge-Grand-Caravan-sport-Minivan-W0QQAdIdZ320274979

So witch one would you buy?

canadiangie

OK so we are most likely going to be getting a 2001 Dodge Grand Caravan. Only problem is we have 2 to choose from & I cant decide witch one would be better.

This one is cheaper,it doesn't need any repairs, but it has more mileage.
http://ottawa.kijiji.ca/c-cars-vehicles-cars-trucks-2001-Dodge-Grand-Caravan-Fourgonnette-W0QQAdIdZ325182021

This one has about 1/4 of the mileage of the other one, but it needs minor repairs (2 front breaks, window motor & refill AC) & is more expensive.
http://ottawa.kijiji.ca/c-cars-vehicles-cars-trucks-2001-Dodge-Grand-Caravan-sport-Minivan-W0QQAdIdZ320274979

So witch one would you buy?

How on earth does an '01 have only 45k on it?! That seems odd to me. I wish I read French better and could read the description for myself.

Are you going to take whatever you end wanting for an inspection before buying? I certainly would, but especially the second one. A thorough inspection of the odometer, specifically.

Request a CarProof, too.

Veronemilie

How on earth does an '01 have only 45k on it?! That seems odd to me. I wish I read French better and could read the description for myself.

Are you going to take whatever you end wanting for an inspection before buying? I certainly would, but especially the second one. A thorough inspection of the odometer, specifically.

Request a CarProof, too.

Here is the translation to the add for the 4,000$ Dodge Grand Caravan

grand caravan sport 45 000 km !!!!!!!
4 winter tires and 4 all-season tires
in very good condition
Remote Start
electric seats
Power windows front back
Rear & front air conditioner
Negotiable price one has ever smoked in the van

We might not end up getting a minivan after all DP has a lead on a Ford Escape for 2,500$ (not sure what year yet, most likely 2000 or later).

My dad used to be a mechanic (he is disabled now) so if we do end up getting that van I will get him to come with us & check it out.

ETA: I e-mailed the guy to ask him about the low mileage, will post his answer once I get it.

Last edited:

Veronemilie

Well we got a vehicle! It's a 2001 Ford Escape with 171 000 kms on it, we got a steal on it 2,000$ ! It needs a few very minor repairs (thermostat needs to be replaced (the part came with it), needs an oil change, needs new winter tires) but other than that it's in perfect shape, no rust!

QuassEE

Moderator - CPST Instructor
Great choice. I recommend the Escape and the Tribute all the time. I had a 2001 a while back, myself.

-Nicole.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC