Making kids safer, one question at a time.  Welcome to the Car-Seat.Org community!   Motor Vehicle Crashes are the #1 cause of fatal injury for children and adults, age groups 1 to 34.   Selecting a safe car, minivan or SUV, plus correctly using child restraints and seatbelts may be the most important things you can do to protect your family.   Need help installing an infant, convertible or booster seat?   Looking for carseat reviews or compatibility advice? Need help buying the best and safest car seats for your baby, toddler or older kid?   No question is a bad one, so please click here to ask our experts a question and then join our friendly community of moms, dads, caregivers and advocates.   Thank you for visiting; buckle-up and drive safely!

Sponsored Ads

LoveMyBug

Motor driven automatic seat belts?

I tried to find out what these were online, but couldn't put my finger on it.

I was reading through my marathon manual and it says it is not compatible with the motor driven automatic seat belts. What are these and how do I know if my car has these?

2. # ADS
    Sponsored Ads

Admin - CPS Technician joolsplus3's Avatar
    If you had them, you would definitely know it, don't worry. They are in the front seat of usually older cars...they were popular around 15 years ago and more...and when you open the door, the belt is on a track on the door, and you never have to buckle the shoulderbelt, you just sit down, close the door, and the belt zips up the track to the right position. Generally you DO have to buckle the lapbelt, though some even had the lapbelt attached to the door...I remember getting tangled in one or 2 of these automatic seatbelts as a kid, lol.
    You can imagine the problems there would be if someone tried to install a carseat to a seatbelt that moves forward a couple feet everytime you open the car door...yikes! Talk about more than one inch of movement at the beltpath
    Julie
    CPST since 2003, pu"R"ple since 2008, three kids growing too fast since 1997, 1999 and 2006

Don't let the perfect be the enemy of the good

LoveMyBug
    Ohh it's one of those, I remember them, LOL. Wonder what happened to them? LOL, probably wasn't safe. OK I fewel better knowing what they are now.

I called the carseat techs but they have to call me back about an appointment. DS is still doing fine in the seat he has, he isn't even at the top harness slot yet, but as soon as I get an appointment I am moving him to the marathon, which I already love.

Senior Community Member scatterbunny's Avatar
    My 1991 Honda Accord has automatic seatbelts in the front. I HATE them with a passion.
    ~Jenny

"When I was young, I admired clever people. Now that I am old, I admire kind people." ~Abraham Joshua Hesche