I dont get the "uncomfortable" ERF argument?

Cath3114

I mean...she looks pretty dang comfortable to me!!!

5990561c.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Car-Seat.Org

ADS

mkmama

LOL, adorable!...her legs are also still able to be stretched out.

I didn't get questions a lot when my kids were that size and smaller, but I get lots of questions about 'isn't he uncomfortable?' now with my 3.5 year old since he has to bend his legs or put them up on the seatback...like below. Of course, this one isn't really a great example either, since he has plenty of room when the Radian is installed in that seat.

317130_10100947004741720_1953051_67212514_385344637_n.jpg

Mysweethoneybee

In August I tried my almost 4 year old rear-facing in a Britax Marathon just to see how it worked because I saw so many kids on here at the same age. My son had outgrown the Marathon by both height and weight rear-facing and forward facing, but he still thought just sitting in the carseat with his feet propped up on the seat was comfortable. If there was any way to rear-face a 70lbs 4 foot tall kid I would.

mkmama

In August I tried my almost 4 year old rear-facing in a Britax Marathon just to see how it worked because I saw so many kids on here at the same age. My son had outgrown the Marathon by both height and weight rear-facing and forward facing, but he still thought just sitting in the carseat with his feet propped up on the seat was comfortable. If there was any way to rear-face a 70lbs 4 foot tall kid I would.

LOL, same here...my DS1 STILL, after over a year of exclusively FF'ing/boostering, occassionally asks if he can RF again in the Radians. He said its much more comfortable. And its not like he didn't know that FF'ing existed when he was an older RF'er...I turned him FF'ing at his first birthday before I knew better, and he was FF'ing from then until a few months before his 5th birthday (shortly after I found this place), when he went back to RF'ing in a Radian (by his choice) until 5 years 2 months when he outgrew it by height RF'ing.

Cath3114

May be hard to tell, but would y'all consider her to have long legs or a long torso? She's 31.5" total. But pretty impossible to get a 14m to sit still for a measurement.

Here's another if it helps
e10bbd3b.jpg

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
I can't tell in the least from that photo. Other than telling she's adorable. :)

The easy way to tell if she's more legs or torso is to go by her clothing. Do you by 12m shirts and 18m pants? Or 9m pants and 2T shirts? That'll tell you proportions. The exact number doesn't matter. She looks like she has about five inches above her head in a 24" seat, so a 19" seated height, minutes probably eight for head and neck gets you about 11", would be my guess.

Wendy

rachelandtyke

When DD was 5 1/2, I was playing around with car seats in the car. I put the TF in rfing because I was curious if she still fit by height. She was over the weight limit by a lb or 2 for rfing, so couldn't ride that way. She fit beautifully and begged me to let her ride that way. She said it was so much more comfy that way than ffing in the same seat!

Brigala

CPST Instructor
My daughter's feet are just now reaching the back of the seat with her legs fully extended, but I also don't get the "scrunched legs" argument. She squeezes her knees up to her chest in her high chair if I don't get the tray on too tight to allow for it. When she goes potty, she puts her feet on the toilet seat. When she rides her toy Zebra, she puts her feet up and gets them stuck in the handlebars. :confused: In her car seat, she tosses her feet over the side mostly so she can poke the other passengers with her toes because she thinks it's funny. Somehow I don't think the feet are going to be an issue.

I did get a thin kick mat and stick it behind her car seat to protect the upholstery from her dirty shoes. I wonder whether the "feet are scrunched" argument really comes from a "I don't want muddy paw prints on the back of my car's seat" motivation.

Cath3114

wendytthomas said:
I can't tell in the least from that photo. Other than telling she's adorable. :)

The easy way to tell if she's more legs or torso is to go by her clothing. Do you by 12m shirts and 18m pants? Or 9m pants and 2T shirts? That'll tell you proportions. The exact number doesn't matter. She looks like she has about five inches above her head in a 24" seat, so a 19" seated height, minutes probably eight for head and neck gets you about 11", would be my guess.

Wendy

I'm gonna attempt to measure tomorrow to see how accurate you are :)

She runs pretty true to size both ways. I'm thinking she may be more torso, because her 12m shirts are seeming to get short before the pants. But she's such a skinny thing, born at 5lb8oz. She she would still be in 3-6m pants if they were long enough.

One day I look at her and think she's all legs. Then the next I think all torso.

Cath3114

Oh, I heard a new one today, from a friend. Her grandma said about her RF 3y old -

"Her knees are pushed up in her chest, they will break a rib and puncture her lung if you get in a wreck!"

o_O

Qarin

Here's why I don't get the argument.... this is me right now at my laptop on my bed...

atcomputer110111.jpg

My kids rarely sit with their legs out forward and down on a chair...

Cath3114

Qarin said:
Here's why I don't get the argument.... this is me right now at my laptop on my bed...

My kids rarely sit with their legs out forward and down on a chair...

I never sit that way either! I ALWAYS prop my legs up on something. I hate them down and dangling.

lorismurph

Senior Community Member
Lol, my midwife always laughs at me 'cause every time I'm sitting on that table waiting for her, I'm cross-legged. It is so uncomfortable to just dangle my legs there.

VoodooChile

I've heard them all, including the "knees will get shoved into the abdomen" one--I just asked where the extra leg joints were located. I normally don't respond at all, but this one was delivered in a particularly snide/superior way and I kind of wanted to make her look stupid. Baser instinct, I guess. Do we have a "blushes in embarrassment" smiley?

Cath3114

This is how I'm sitting in the backseat right now...

f572b45e.jpg

I know, I know. Not safe. My legs are exactly crossed the exact same way an older RFer does. So much more comfortable than having them down.

disbugsmomma

Yup, this is how I sit almost every time I sit down, unless I'm in the car for a short trip. Longer trips I will sit like this too.

IMAG0184.jpg

lourdes

Yeah, she is sooooooo uncomfortable!!! I want to be just as uncomfortable as she is right now!!!

Last edited:

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC