Family Car?

klu0906

So I posted something similar to this over in car seats board on BBC but they reccomended me to you. Okay so first of all I do not currently have my license. I am scared to get it personally, but I know its something I need to do, for mine and DD's sake. So I am studying to get my permit. DH is going to try and get me a new car in a year or two. It means a great deal to him for me to drive so he doesnt have to take me everywhere. Okay, so we want ERF our future children. DD is FF she is 2 years old in TFP. I went to turn her ERF and the seat didnt fit what so ever, tried it in the store, the only convertible that fit was Cosco Scenera, DD is 24lbs and 34 inches tall. We currently drive a 2000 Jetta. Since I am going to want to ERF I will need a car/car seat combination that will work. DH really wants a Toyota Tacoma, and I really want to be exact a 2011 Toyota Camry LE. I new car gets me movitated about driving? Are these good family cars? A camry would be first, because it would be mine. And our main family car. I would love a Toyota Seinna, but its far from our price range. What is a good family vehicle that you would reccomend? What car do you drive? Would a Camry be a good car for new driver? Since we also have a car seat issue. What car seat would you reccomend for that car? DD was small, so I will expect this next little one to be small. We don't plan on having another for another 2 years. However recently I had a pregnancy scare. So I got to thinking, and if I did turn out to be pregnant, I dont have anything set, or prepared for the what if.

ADS

cupcakepirate11

I have a toyota corolla and love it my sons seat (britax marathon 70) fits perfectly. I know the classic britax seats fit well in the jetta, as I've installed my friends kids seat many times in her jetta.
The camry has lots of space in the back seat and is a good car for beginners and a good family vechicle. I can't say anything about the tacoma just that they have harder installs.

Questions for ya:
How upright did you try to get the tfp?
Did you try a radian?
There are lots of seats out for tiny babies did you want a bucket seat or straight to convertible?

Driving is scary at first but once you get the hang of it, it really isn't that scary :)

QuassEE

Moderator - CPST Instructor
Although I know that you get used to driving a minivan, can I express my concern about someone who is a new driver, and already fearful of the process, hopping right into a minivan? I wonder if that wouldn't result in..well, not driving. It's one thing to learn to drive when you're 15 or 16, but a completely different learning and assimilation process as an adult. Getting over some of those fears, first, might be key to the driving process.

The 2000 Jetta should have room for the TF rear-facing at a 35 degree angle? I'm not sure why you're having problems there, but perhaps you're really tall or the angle is quite reclined on the seat when it no longer has to be?

The Camry is a decent (and small) family car.. I'd suggest the Accord, as well... If you're fine with five passenger vehicles that can fit three carseats in the back (yay Radian?!), and taking into consideration your new driver status...I'd highly recommend the Ford Escape and Mazda Tribute. Great visibility with a smaller footprint that's easier to drive..but with the space that comes with a small SUV, and the height to be above other cars (but not trucks/SUVs) on the road. I'm so not a domestics gal, but it's a great learner and family car. Although it sounds like you guys might be Toyota and VW fans--perhaps the Matrix (it's really quite large inside) or the Tiguan? And...have you looked into the Mazda 5? It's a minivan without the minivan-ness, seats six in case another baby is in the works, and is really easy for a new driver.

BTW--the Tundra is on my list if we move to AZ next year and get a trailer. I think it's a good option for families, but I wouldn't recommend it for learning to drive on. If your DH gets a Tundra, he might want to hold out for the 6 passenger version and remain the primary driver when you guys are all together..?

-N.

klu0906

Although I know that you get used to driving a minivan, can I express my concern about someone who is a new driver, and already fearful of the process, hopping right into a minivan? I wonder if that wouldn't result in..well, not driving. It's one thing to learn to drive when you're 15 or 16, but a completely different learning and assimilation process as an adult. Getting over some of those fears, first, might be key to the driving process.

The 2000 Jetta should have room for the TF rear-facing at a 35 degree angle? I'm not sure why you're having problems there, but perhaps you're really tall or the angle is quite reclined on the seat when it no longer has to be?

The Camry is a decent (and small) family car.. I'd suggest the Accord, as well... If you're fine with five passenger vehicles that can fit three carseats in the back (yay Radian?!), and taking into consideration your new driver status...I'd highly recommend the Ford Escape and Mazda Tribute. Great visibility with a smaller footprint that's easier to drive..but with the space that comes with a small SUV, and the height to be above other cars (but not trucks/SUVs) on the road. I'm so not a domestics gal, but it's a great learner and family car. Although it sounds like you guys might be Toyota and VW fans--perhaps the Matrix (it's really quite large inside) or the Tiguan? And...have you looked into the Mazda 5? It's a minivan without the minivan-ness, seats six in case another baby is in the works, and is really easy for a new driver.

BTW--the Tundra is on my list if we move to AZ next year and get a trailer. I think it's a good option for families, but I wouldn't recommend it for learning to drive on. If your DH gets a Tundra, he might want to hold out for the 6 passenger version and remain the primary driver when you guys are all together..?

-N.

If a 4th child would be in the works, it wouldnt be for 10 more years. We are waiting 4-5 years between children. So the Camry sounds perfect because I hear its good for new drivers.. and for family. I wouldnt not jump right into a minivan and go. I will have car first, because we cant afford a minivan at the moment. We are definitely not getting another seat until we have #2. And we will jump straight into convertible. We never tried a radian. But I would love to have one. We tried just about everthing, we tried our TFP with out the head rest, and it failed even with a 35 degree angle.

Patriot201

Car-Seat.org Ambassador
LATCH isn't any safer than a seatbelt installation, so it is okay if you can't use LATCH in the center. Also, some seats will install on a "hump" without a problem. :)

Mags462

I am concerned with the middle seat in the camry that I cant use latch, and I hear the seat is more like hump

Depends on the year -if you are talking "new" (2007-2011) then yes the seat is rounded in the middle (although i have installed a seat there w/ the seat belt just fine). My parents have a 2009 (might be 2010) camry and its a nice car. Easy to drive - handles well. If you are looking at the pre-2007 model (either the 1997-2001 or 2002-2006) the seats in the back are really level and flat.

klu0906

I am more open to other vehicles SMIL has a 2009 focus, and I wonder how the back seat compares. I would love a 2011 camry, but my credit has some serious building to do before then, I am looking for a job to bring in more money to save up but in the mean time I want to get something not too expensive. I applied where my husband works. But through the temp company they use. I doubt I will get it, I have never gotten my GED or HS diploma

Haley.h87

I drive a 2011 Mazda 3 and LOVE it! I have 1 daughter (23months) but I also babysit a 27 month old and my car fits their seats excellent! DD is RF in a Graco MyRide and other little girl is FF in a Nautilus. Both install like a dream and are rock solid with LATCH or seatbelt install. I test drove a ton of vehicles before deciding on my Mazda and this one was by far my favorite.
The Camry is a great car! I also really liked the Ford Fusion and VW Passat. I know I got a smaller car than those, but I am in love with my car and it would be an excellent new driver car as well since it is fairly small, but has tons of space and no blind spots (at least IMO). Good luck deciding! Let me know if you want comparisons to my Mazda, I pretty much tested every vehicle out there lol!

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC