What do you consider Extended Harnessing?

When is it considered extended harnessing?

• 4 AND 40lbs

Votes: 28 38.9%
  • Just over 4yrs old, no matter their weight

Votes: 36 50.0%
  • Over 40lbs, no matter their age

Votes: 8 11.1%

• Total voters
ADS

lovemybabies924

I put over 40lbs any age... Because around here hiss go from scenera (FF from 10m usually.. Grrr) to booster

Sent from my iPod touch, sorry for any auto-correct typos!

skylinphoto

Harnessing over 4 yrs old. Most people don't harness past that age. Weight isn't the issue imo. Most 4 year olds are at least 30lbs (which is the minimum on a lot of boosters). That said, I have a kid who won't be 30 lbs (more like 25lbs) at 4..lol..but I know she's in the minority.

Sent from my T-Mobile G2 using Car-Seat.Org

mamom

I picked 40#, but really I think it is about the time they would outgrow a scenera, the standard seat around here then switch to lbb.

joolsplus3

Admin - CPS Technician
Uh... age 8. Needed more options on this poll (considering the new recommendations are to harness to age 4-7, and 40 pounds is a largely outdated FF harness weight limit on most readily available seats).

Of course that's just my many cents' worth of opinion :)

mominabigtruck

I consider anything over 4 extended. In my neck of the woods, evem if they have a seat that goes past 40lba for bigger kids I never see them used that way. I don't understand why people even bother buying the seats, like convertible seats. Idk of any person irl that has used a convertible rfing so why don't they just buy a combo booster. Imho, it's a waste of money.
Posted via Mobile Device

trippsmom

CPST Instructor
joolsplus3 said:
Uh... age 8. Needed more options on this poll (considering the new recommendations are to harness to age 4-7, and 40 pounds is a largely outdated FF harness weight limit on most readily available seats).

Of course that's just my many cents' worth of opinion :)

My thoughts as well. I have not thought twice about harnessing the 7yo boys I keep. They are both 2y into lbb with their parents. :shrugshoulders:

¡May contain dyac moments!

Keeanh

I think "extended" whatever (RF, harness, booster) generally means going beyond when you could legally stop doing it. So that would depend on where you live.

To me, personally it means harnessing beyond when I would be okay with them riding in a booster. Like my 5yo now is fine in a booster, but she rides in a Frontier to A) take up a lap belt, and B) make one less person for me to keep an eye on in a vehicle with 7 kids.

Otherwise, to ME, if I'm not okay with them in a booster then it's just regular harnessing, KWIM?

zactayaus

I voted over 4yo even though my kids were all harnessed till they were 6 (ds1-now 20yo) and 7yo (dd and ds2-13 and 8yo). Pretty much everyone in our area switches to booster right around 4yo.

Avery'sMama

CPST Instructor
In real life, it's 4. It's an unusual child I see still harnessed at five. I can't fathom saying that harnessing 5 through 7 is typical and it's not extended until 8. In my day to day world at work and at home, anything past four is extended. Truthfully, that's the case even in my home. My DD is rounding the corner on 8 and now uses a LBB as a back up seat. And, I have no qualms about it. She hasn't been routinely harnessed since she was six.

Kac

Ambassador - CPS Technician
Four.

I'm lucky to see kids in boosters at 6, so definitely four.

Eight year olds rarely use a seat in my area.

BookMama

Senior Community Member
Eh, I don't think of (or refer to) any of it as "extended." Dd2 is harnessed. DS is bolstered. Dd2 is rf. *shrug*

Sent from my iPhone using Car-Seat.Org

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC