Van accident in Indiana, death mentioned

bnsnyde

The baby was in a carseat but NOT strapped in. So sad. So ignorant. :(

And 7 of the 10 people in the minivan were killed so far, but NO ONE had seatbelts on. Apparently the van swerved due to a deer and then a truck hit them from behind. I am thinking this is one of those rare high-speed hit from behind crashes, so I wonder about the baby's odds strapped in, too. I am not sure how old the baby was. (I think the truck hit them at 65 mph)

Terrible all around, and a powerful message about seatbelt and carseats.

ADS

bnsnyde

Re: Terrible wreck - Newb killed

Yes, so sad. Sorry cross post!

The details do make it sound potentially not survivable.
But I can't help but wonder...what if that baby had been restrained properly?

We will never know.

Cath3114

bnsnyde said:
The baby was in a carseat but NOT strapped in. So sad. So ignorant. :(

And 7 of the 10 people in the minivan were killed, but NO ONE had seatbelts on. Apparently the van swerved due to a deer and then a truck hit them from behind. I am thinking this is one of those rare high-speed hit from behind crashes, so I wonder about the baby's odds strapped in, too. I am not sure how old the baby was. (I think the truck hit them at 65 mph)

Terrible all around, and a powerful message about seatbelt and carseats.

I just posted on this, with 3 links. Maybe our threads will be merged.

One of the links says it was a newborn and the family was traveling to introduce baby to the grandparents.

Another says the minivan was compacted to 1/3 it's size, back and front bumpers nearly touching. So I have doubts it would have been survivable at all.

Sent from my iPhone using Car-Seat.Org

bnsnyde

Wow, that is awful. And hit from behind at that speed seems like rear-facing wouldn't stand a chance, and FF would be a better position there.

But the adults had no seatbelt on anyway.

krasota

One of the news articles I read stated that the baby was in a child restraint, but the restraint was not installed into the vehicle. I think this was probably still not a survivable crash, but it irks me.

Cath3114

krasota said:
One of the news articles I read stated that the baby was in a child restraint, but the restraint was not installed into the vehicle. I think this was probably still not a survivable crash, but it irks me.

There were 10 people crammed into a 7 passenger van. I'm guessing the baby's seat got relegated to the floor or a lap. Sad that people think a seat alone will protect/save the child.

I believe I read the driver (dad) and front passenger both survived, but are critical. I'll have to reread to be sure. But that would be logical, being furthest from impact. The entire back was pushed into the front, so yes, probably unsurvivable. Still bothers me too.

Sent from my iPhone using Car-Seat.Org

Cath3114

Just read an update on one of the articles where the names and ages were released. The infant was 6 weeks old. Also killed were two 8-year-olds and a 15-year-old. Driver and front seat passenger survived.

Pictures are also up. Pretty graphic.

Last edited:

bnsnyde

And they were from Ecuador, it seems. That's where I used to live in college for a little under a year. How sad they had to die this way.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC