Used bench seat safe to buy?

Irishmama

I found a second third row bench for my 2000 Windstar. Is this a good idea or not? Are there specific things I should ask or look for? I'd love to make it an eight passenger van. I know others have done it and I'm assuming it wasn't with brand new factory benches from the dealer. Anything I need to know before I do this? TIA!

ADS

EmmaCPST

CPST Instructor
Was the bench seat an option for your specific year & model? I'd just be concerned about knowing that it is installed properly - and that the installation points are properly rated for a bench plus possible 3 passengers. Since your vehicle came with captains chairs, I'd want to know that that bench is just as secure as those captian's chairs are.

I probably wouldn't do it unless you know for sure that it installs in your vehicle exactly the same way the bench seat installs in the models that came with it.

Keeanh

I would do it. Ask and try to get the history of the seat. I wouldn't want one that had been in a severe collision that could have damaged the mounts. But really, every time you buy a used vehicle, you're buying "used" seats & seatbelts. Take a look in your owners' manual. Page 128 should say the 3rd row can be placed in the 2nd row position.

ETA: The middle lap belt should be easy to replace if it's a cause for concern.

Irishmama

Thanks for the advice! The manual does allow the third row bench to be placed in the second row position, it just clicks in. In fact, I think Judi has that set up.

I will ask about the vehicle history and see if I can find out. Replacing the middle lap belt is a good idea, and I can avoid using that position for awhile and replace it later on when we have the money. Thanks guys!

April

I have a third row bench in the second row of my Windstar. Bought it from a used car dealer. It makes it so I can *just* fit three across, but requires at least one Radian. The seatbelt on the passenger side fits funky cause of where the shoulder belt is mounted. So I can put a harnessed seat with latch, a high back booster, or a kid under about 60" there, but an adult or teenager ends up with the shoulder belt across their upper arm. The bonus to that is my almost 10 year old five steps there (and there only), making it easier to fit two seats on the bench. So I have 9yo on the passenger side, RF CCO or Radian in the centre, and then either a FF RN, old style PW, or turbo booster on the driver's side. There is plenty of room on the passenger side for my other two to get into the third row. HTH.
Posted via Mobile Device

Irishmama

Thanks April, that's very helpful!

I thought I remembered your Windstar was an eight seater, Judi. Thanks everyone for the replies, I feel much more confident going ahead with the seat. :)

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC