At what point would you consider importing a seat?

mrosehughes

More a theoretical question at this point, since DS still has plenty of room to grow in his radian.

Just wondering at what point any of you would consider importing a seat (to the U.S. from, say, Sweden) for your LO, or if you never would, even if they were extremely tall and heavy.

I'm sure DS will make it to 3 in the radian, but I'm less sure about him making it to four (he is just two on Saturday, 30+ lbs and 37 inches, and I think a bit long-torsoed, based on his size 3-4 shirts and size 2 pants). As he gets closer to outgrowing the radian, importing is something I might consider, if he's just barely 3 (unless clek ups the foonf RFing weight and it's super tall).

ADS

momtotwogirls

Theoretically Id say if my kid outgrew the highest rear facing seats before 3 then id import. My goal is 4 but I wouldnt import after 3. I would LOVE to import now but both my kids did/will make it to within months after/before 4 yrs old in the TFP so I have no need for an imported seat.

Brigala

CPST Instructor
I think if my child outgrew all domestic options before approximately 3 years old I would consider importing.

Right now I don't think DD is in danger of that, although she's following a strange growth curve so it's really hard to predict (she was 8+ lbs at birth but was around 5th percentile for weight from about 3-9 months and now is at about the 60th at 14 months!!!).

An Aurora

Senior Community Member
Only if I had a kid under the age of 2 who was over 45 pounds. And they would have to be closer to 1 than 2.

lanwenyi

My child would need to outgrow ALL US seats before turning 3. Only then would I import.

That said, it's entirely academic to me. DD still fits rfing in the TFP, Radians, and Avenues. She has outgrown the Classic Blvd, MR, and Scenera. She's 4y1.5m.

CrazyBoysMamma

When I had the funds and Dh was somehow incapacitated and unable to stop me....:evil grin: Umm, but I want a Multi Tech just because I want one.:eek:

dewdrop222

CPS Technician
That was us! Patrick had out grown every seat except the XTSL (which at that point he has 2" above his head), by age 2.5 years. So I got a TWE and called it a day. :)

jourdysmom

CPST Instructor
Only if I had a kid under the age of 2 who was over 45 pounds. And they would have to be closer to 1 than 2.

This... I 1) can't afford to import and 2) don't feel that I as a tech can tell people not to do something that I am doing illegally. I think that it makes me lose credit as an educator. :twocents:

jeminijad

I wouldn't in any likely scenario.

Maybe if I had a child under the age of 3 with untreatable gigantism/acromelagy and s/he outgrew the Frontier. Or a 12 month old outgrowing the Radian RFing.

Not for anything else.

twinsmom

If my child was under 4 and had outgrown all US seats (assuming I could afford it).

My kids were 3 when I imported my Multi Techs, and RF until 5.5.:)

Brianna

This, unless there is research before that point that shows that there is a significant safety difference RF to 3 until 2.

luckyclov

Yeah...pretty much that.

Hopefully, at some point (well, I guess it needs to be released, in general, first...), the Kiddy World Plus will have a higher weight limit on the protection shield, which would be another option in between RF and FF with a 5-point for younger/heavier kids who should, ideally, still be RF'ing.

While importing a child seat is legal, using it in the U.S. is NOT legal. It's not legal in the same way that, say, a 10-month old riding in a booster isn't legal. As much as I reallllllllllly want a MT (and, I realllllly do), it's not going to happen. I just wouldn't feel good about breaking the law, when I had options here. How would I explain that to my children? Or the parents/caregivers I volunteer to educate about laws/proper use/misuse, etc? It just wouldn't leave me with a feel-good kind of feeling.

That said, like we always say, the final decision is up to the parent/caregiver. As techs and advocates/budding techs and advocates, we're still, at the end of the day, a parent/caregiver ourselves, and, I guess, on a *personal* level, the final decision lies the same as it would for any other parent/caregiver.

But, for me, the benefit would clearly have to outweigh the risk of willingly breaking the law and I would have to have NO other reasonable options left.

Last edited:

carseatcoach

Carseat Crankypants
Maybe if I had a child under the age of 3 with untreatable gigantism/acromelagy and s/he outgrew the Frontier.

I think the US has the highest-weight FFing harnessed seats in the Frontier85 and the ProSport. Just out of curiosity, are you aware of foreign seats with higher harness limits?

Baylor

If I knew then what I know now, I would have done it at a year and saved the money on the other seat and got a MT. Then little man could have rf to at least 3.

auto-correct on the loose..

luckyclov

I think the US has the highest-weight FFing harnessed seats in the Frontier85 and the ProSport. Just out of curiosity, are you aware of foreign seats with higher harness limits?
I'm also curious.

Admittedly, I don't spend a lot of time researching European child restraints, but even the MT's FF (harness) weight limit is 40 lbs vs it's RF weight limit of 55 lbs. The TWE has a FF/RF harness weight limit of 55 lbs.

Us North Americans, as far as I know, hold the candle bright with HWH FF seats. The ProSport has a 90-lb harness weight limit, which is the highest weight limit on the market, but the Frontier85, with it's 20" harness top slots and 85-lb harness weight limit, would still probably qualify as the HWH that would last longer (in most cases, even "special circumstance" cases).

jeminijad

No. As far as I know, you are right. So even that scenario doesn't exist. I wouldn't import.

jeminijad

And to elaborate, the reasons I wouldn't import are not because it is technically illegal.

If I believe a law to be immoral/wrong/untenable for some other reason, I may break it. I wouldn't import a foreign seat because we are talking about diminishing returns here- spending a considerable amount of resources required for other, concrete needs in order to strive for an uncertain, unmeasurable increase in safety for an event that probably won't happen during the time frame at hand (a moderate to severe front or side impact collision.)

aeormsby

Pretty much this.

I would do everything possible to keep a kid RF to age 2. I would buy new seats (domestic) to keep a kid RF to age 3, I wouldn't jump through hoops to keep a kid RF past age 3.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC