Best harness for big sneaky dog/LATCH limits?

oakster

I'm trying to find a good new harness for our 80-lb. lab mix, and am struggling to find one that seems like a good fit. The issue we have with his current harness (aside from it not being crash-tested and giving him a little more freedom than we'd like) is that he is very good at releasing it from the seat belt within about an hour of a longer trip. (It works fine for short around town trips.) I'm not sure if he does this intentionally or just twists himself around enough that he hits the seatbelt release in that amount of time, but it happens without fail and is really frustrating. Inasmuch as we can tell, the harness strap is securely buckled in when we leave so I don't think it's human error.

So...I was all excited about the prospect of getting a harness that could attach to the LATCH connector instead, but from what I'm seeing, these all have weight limits of 65 pounds. Is this true across the board because of limitations of the connectors? (Ours are actually Isofix on a 2001 Toyota Prius but I think this is the same thing?)

If so, are there any alternative ways of connecting a harness that would be less prone to being released easily? I'd like to buckle the dog in behind the driver's seat and we have a Cybex Aton behind the passenger seat. Harness needs to have a short enough setting that he can't stand across the baby. Right now I'm looking at the Ruff Rider, PetBuckle, and Bergan harness. The dog seems to stay happily in whatever harness he's in (even the ones that he could feasibly get out of if he tried) so that's not as much of a concern.

Thanks!

ADS

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC