Question 96 Accord seatbelts??

Cath3114

Asking for a friend due in about 8 weeks.

Car is 96 Accord, so no LATCH. She's looking for a good infant seat. Considering Snugride, KeyFit, or OnBoard. I can't find an owner's manual online to determine what type of seatbelts her car has and how they lock. She can't get to the car right now to check.

I would feel more comfortable recommending something for her with built in lock-offs if they don't lock, vs. using a locking clip.

So does anybody know what type of seatbelts they are and if they lock 96 was the year they first were required to lock, right?

ADS

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
1997 was the first year. Actually, technically, it was September 1, 1996 for the 1997 model year. So if her car was made after that it doesn't, if it was made before, it does.

However, the middle is a locking lap belt.

Those are my favorite three infant seats, though. They all happen to have lockoffs. :)

Wendy

Cath3114

1997 was the first year. Actually, technically, it was September 1, 1996 for the 1997 model year. So if her car was made after that it doesn't, if it was made before, it does.

However, the middle is a locking lap belt.

Those are my favorite three infant seats, though. They all happen to have lockoffs. :)

Wendy

Wendy, great information and very helpful, as usual :)

She was passed down a SnugRide 22 (known history), but was thinking of getting something with a higher weight limit. She was just worried about newbie fit. I believe those all fit noobs fairly well, right?

And she's planning a middle install, but it might be nice to have those lockoffs JIC, right?

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
The three seats you listed will fit newborns well. In fact, they fit small babies well. The Snugride 22 will fit average to larger newborns well, but not small babies.

The only issue I'd see with her car and the onBoard 35 is buckle placement. If the buckle is right in the belt path she might not be able to close the lockoff. The others would not have this problem (the SR 35 lockoff is smaller, the KF's lockoffs wouldn't be used for a lap belt only).

Wendy

KaiLing

I have a 96 Accord with switchable retractors outboard, lapbelt with locking latchplate middle. Middle is easy with the snugride, but I don't remember if it needed a twist. Outboard is pretty easy too: I have an RF radian there with two and a half twists in the buckle.

The biggest issue with this car is the lack of headrests. We try not to have adults in the back but my husband gets stuck back there on occasion.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC