Musings on the SG/Safety 1st Go

LISmama810

Admin - CPS Technician
So, if we stick with SafeKids' admonition not to use tether anchors past 40 lbs (unless explicitly allowed), this seat is essentially worthless as a harnessed seat after 40 lbs, huh?

And ironically, SafeGuard (though likely not Safety 1st) actually allowed lower anchor use up to the full weight of the child (regardless of vehicle limits) because the seat itself weighs almost nothing. (60-lb kid + 5-lb seat = 40-lb kid + 25-lb seat).

Brilliant. Guess it's better to just convert it to a backless booster then. :rolleyes:

ADS

Carrie_R

Ambassador - CPS Technician
So, if we stick with SafeKids' admonition not to use tether anchors past 40 lbs (unless explicitly allowed), this seat is essentially worthless as a harnessed seat after 40 lbs, huh?

Yup. If you stick with that admonition, that would be correct.

(What does the instruction booklet say?)

joolsplus3

Admin - CPS Technician
See, that's why the 40lb admonition is so.... thoughtless. I still use mine fully LATCHed for my almost 50lb kid, I'll use it till she's 60 if she's not too tall for the harness first, I ain't afraid of no big bad SK rules :p:cool:

(PS, disclaimer, everyone follow your manuals, do as I say, not as I do--unless your car manual says nothing, because they know their anchors will hold well above the weight of a 40lb child, and your Go manual says use the anchors to 60 lbs ;))

LISmama810

Admin - CPS Technician
Carrie_R said:
(What does the instruction booklet say?)

Well, the Go is literally unusable as a harness at any weight without a tether. So there's not even the option of making a parental decision to use it against the Go's instructions.

joolsplus3 said:
(PS, disclaimer, everyone follow your manuals, do as I say, not as I do--unless your car manual says nothing, because they know their anchors will hold well above the weight of a 40lb child, and your Go manual says use the anchors to 60 lbs ;))

Unless you follow SafeKids' rule that you have to assume 40 lbs if the manual says nothing. :rolleyes:

aeormsby

I have no problem using our GO up to the weight limit. The manual says Latch to the full seat limit is fine and I feel perfectly OK with that (I guess both of my kids will most likely outgrow it before we hit our 48lb latch limit anyway).

I have absolutely no plans for using the seat as a booster. I attempted to try to take it apart just to wash the seat once and gave up after about a half hour (same process as converting it to a booster).

Does SK say no tether after 40lb always or does it go by the manuf Latch limit (so 48lb in a lot of vehicles).

LISmama810

Admin - CPS Technician
aeormsby said:
I have no problem using our GO up to the weight limit. The manual says Latch to the full seat limit is fine and I feel perfectly OK with that (I guess both of my kids will most likely outgrow it before we hit our 48lb latch limit anyway).

I have absolutely no plans for using the seat as a booster. I attempted to try to take it apart just to wash the seat once and gave up after about a half hour (same process as converting it to a booster).

Does SK say no tether after 40lb always or does it go by the manuf Latch limit (so 48lb in a lot of vehicles).

SafeKids says to go by the manufacturer's limit. So if a manufacturer says 48, that's fine. If no limit is given, you are to assume 40 lbs. Since most vehicle manuals don't state a limit and many techs (not to mention almost all parents) don't have access to a LATCH Manual, most people would "need" to discontinue use at 40 lbs.

I also have no problem tethering a seat--ESPECIALLY the Go-- past 40 lbs. I'm just using this as an example of the absurdity of absolutes.

bubbaray

See, that's why the 40lb admonition is so.... thoughtless. I still use mine fully LATCHed for my almost 50lb kid, I'll use it till she's 60 if she's not too tall for the harness first, I ain't afraid of no big bad SK rules :p:cool:

LOL, you need to move north of the 49th after January 1, 2012. I can loan you a seat and you can use it tethered after 40lbs.... ;)

aunt83me02

Senior Community Member
I have my ~38lb. niece in a a SafeGuard Go in my 2008 Honda Civic. I plan to keep her in it until she doesn't fit...:)

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC