Question What would solve this fit problem in a T35?

gigi

My daughter is 4.5 mos, 26", 14 pounds. Her torso is pretty short though...at birth she JUST fit the T35 by strap height and she was 21" and over 8 pounds! Anyway, as she's gotten bigger it is harder to get a good strap fit. Her shoulders are narrow and when she naturally slumps into the seat, the straps are fairly easy to pull off her shoulders even when tightened correctly or over tightened. When she slumps into the seat, she is about 1.5" below the second slot but still far enough above the first slot that the straps are way down. When I put her in before the slump she is even with the second slot. This would be solved if there was another crotch buckle position closer in to the baby, but alas there is not.

I can tighten the straps and have them sit properly when she's in just a sleeper, but I'm concerned with winter coming about what to do. If she's wearing ANYTHING thicker like a cotton sweater, thin fleece, or overalls, then I have an issue with the shoulder fit.

My baby is 95% height and 75% weight, do I never thought I'd have a harder time fitting a car seat than I did with my son who was much much smaller LOL.

Is there anything I can do about the slumping into the seat so I can move the straps up?

Hard to believe a newborn baby can grow 5" and still be on the same shoulder slot...eeek LONG legs!

ADS

Pixels

You can roll a washcloth and put it between her body and the crotch strap. That will prevent the slumping. Also make sure not to overtighten the harness, as that can actually exacerbate straps falling off the shoulders, and make sure the chest clip is high enough.

gigi

Thanks so much!

How long can I use the rolled washcloth? Indefinitely? For some reason I was thinking that was a sub optimal solution only for teeny babies...not sure why.

What is the dividing line between properly tightened and over tightened for a little one? I tend to err on the side of more rather than less when I'm not sure.

Pixels

You can use the crotch roll as long as it is needed. At some point, baby will start pulling it out, or it just won't fit any more, or baby simply won't need it.

With a properly tightened harness, you cannot pinch a horizontal crease in the harness over baby's collar bone. Your fingers will just slip off. There's no real definition of overtightened, although of course if you are leaving marks on baby then it's probably too tight. ;) I would go for just tight enough, no more.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC