Could you? Would you? Taking kids in an old VW Double Cab.

thtr4me

DH and I are contemplating buying an old 1964 VW Double Cab. Since it has a rear seat, we are hoping to be able to use it on occasion to take the whole family out (trips to the lumber yard, camping when the kids get older, etc). This will not be an every day vehicle. I know these old vehicles are not the safest things in the world in terms of car seat and vehicle restraint technology. So, without making major modifications to the vehicle (we will have appropriate seat belts installed if necessary), any idea on how to get 2 kids, one small 5.5yo under 40lbs, and one rear-facing infant in a convertible seat into this vehicle legally and safely? Current seats are a Britax Frontier and a Britax Boulevard. Thanks so much!

ADS

libranbutterfly

I would want seats that do good without top tethers for forward facing, and get the seatbelt checked. Assuming the seatbelts were in good condition and you got good installs I wouldn't hesitate personally.

thtr4me

Thanks! Our new vehicle (Otis) came to live with us last week. We are actually going to be ordering seatbelts, so they will all be brand new, at least for the back seat. Car came with some seatbelts, but apparently not enough. Now it is just a matter of finding workable seats that will actually fit into the back seat of that vehicle.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC