Tall toddler in a Radian?

VoodooChile

So I was hoping ds would last rf-in in the Radian until about 4, but now I don't know, height -wise! We were at the pediatrician yesterday and, at 2 1/2, he's 37" already --90th percentile. Last time I measured his torso it was 13", which doesn't seem so long though.
Anyone with a similarly tall child and a Radian, how long did they last rear-facing?

ADS

Jessica61624

My son is not quite two yet and hes got a super torso. His head hits the sunshine already. I'm not worried too much about him out growing it before 4. He's about ready to move into size 4t shirts already. I'm confident he will slow down. Also my 4 yr olds torso is 14.5 and she's got a good 3 inches before its outgrown.

KaiLing

My kid's torso is at the least 15", at the most 16.5" and he's got tons and tons of room in his radian. He has put on a tiny bit of height in his torso between 2y6m and 2y10m, but not much. He's still the tallest and heaviest kid his age I've run in to, and the longest in torso, too. So I wouldn't stress yet!

An Aurora

Senior Community Member
My DD was even with the top if the SK logo when she turned two, and she outgrew it by height right at 4.

Cryssy Jane

A turned 2 late August. He's 39 inches tall wearing 4t clothes with a 15 inch torso. I see him still having tons of room.

His hair is super puffy and this isn't the best picture but he's just even with the middle of the sun logo.

Eta here's a picture of A in the blvd about 2 months ago with room to spare for comparison.

Sent from my iPhone using Car-Seat.Org

Last edited:

hrice

My 2 yr old has a 13" torso and has miles to grow in the Radian RF. There is a pic of him in my siggy.

Oops...changed my siggy pic.

Last edited:

bnsnyde

Here. Child who turned 2 in July is about 37/38 inches with a 14 torso.
He's in an Advocate and moving to a RF Radian someday...

See his head in the Advocate.

I don't think he will make it to 4 in the Radian. I will have to watch weight, too. My daughter will (as of next week unless she grows overnight a few inches, lol).

My boys are tall. The baby is off the charts. So while I aim for 4, I think 3.5 might be it. I will just have to see how they grow and watch the shell above their head. :) 4 if they fit, sure. Now to watch them grow.

hrice

Here. Child who turned 2 in July is about 37/38 inches with a 14 torso.
He's in an Advocate and moving to a RF Radian someday...

See his head in the Advocate.

I don't think he will make it to 4 in the Radian. I will have to watch weight, too. My daughter will (as of next week unless she grows overnight a few inches, lol).

My boys are tall. The baby is off the charts. So while I aim for 4, I think 3.5 might be it. I will just have to see how they grow and watch the shell above their head. :) 4 if they fit, sure. Now to watch them grow.

My 3y4m old has a 14" torso and at least 4 inches above his head in the Radian.

Syllieann

My ds will be 3 in December, is 39" tall w/ 14.5" torso and still has 3" above his head in the radian. I expect it will get us to 4 yo rf, maybe 4.5 if we get a little more room from the wedge.

VoodooChile

Cool, I feel better! I'm not worried about weight. He's growing, weight-wise, similarly to dd, and she didn't hit 40 lbs until 5, but I figure he'll be too tall by then, especially with a 1.5" rule.
Thanks!

VoodooChile

Also, anyone with a kiddo similarly sized to mine (37", 13" torso) , rear-facing, what slots are they on? In the house he obviously needed the 3rd from the bottom, but adding the rf boot and installing, he looks like he might be even with the next ones? I can't tell. The light in the garage isn't great and, being 2 1/2, he's not overly cooperative.

StillThankful

A turned 2 late August. He's 39 inches tall wearing 4t clothes with a 15 inch torso. I see him still having tons of room.

His hair is super puffy and this isn't the best picture but he's just even with the middle of the sun logo.

Eta here's a picture of A in the blvd about 2 months ago with room to spare for comparison.

Sent from my iPhone using Car-Seat.Org

Wow! He's going to be a tall cutie!

kalamos23

DD has outgrown the Radian by weight but still fits by height with at least a 15" torso (wiggly). She is 42" tall fwiw.

KaiLing

Also, anyone with a kiddo similarly sized to mine (37", 13" torso) , rear-facing, what slots are they on? In the house he obviously needed the 3rd from the bottom, but adding the rf boot and installing, he looks like he might be even with the next ones? I can't tell. The light in the garage isn't great and, being 2 1/2, he's not overly cooperative.

Mine hung out on the third slots for a *maddeningly* long time. Then I went back and forth about whether or not to move him up. We took one trip where he was RF and FF (plane) both on the second from the top--he was exactly even. He's 40-41", 15-16" torso now and clearly RF on the second from the top, but it took us a long time to get there.

Don't know if that helps, but just know that I struggled with the exact same question for months.

Syllieann

We switched to the 2nd to top slots when he was about 37" and I want to say around 14-14.25" torso-don't remember exact torso height. I also looked at it and looked at it for a good month before I finally made the move, then I went back and looked some more.

leighi123

Levi 4, and is 37", his torso is was 12" last I measured a month ago. His head is where the logo is still, tones of room left to grow. He is in the 3rd from the bottom slots.

His ERF friend is 40", and has less than 1" to grow (she turns 3 in January)

trippsmom

CPST Instructor
Ds, will be 4 on 12/22, is 42". I have not measured his torso in a long time... He is on the next to last slots. He is in 4t everything and fine. I need to get the pic my friend took today.

¡May contain dyac moments!

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC