Chevy silverado ext. cab help

java

I am having issues with seats in this truck, so please hear me out and suggest whatever seat fits my criteria.

The bench is fairly narrow and I cannot get the seat I want in there on the bench enough...it hangs off too much.

The back seat is nice and wide and has a fair amount of space front to back, but not a ton. So a smaller (front to back) rfing seat would be good. It can be the widest seat on the market though.

RFing seat to at least 35lbs. DD is tiny, so I am betting she will hit 3 before 35lbs (which is my minimum for rfing her)

Only has latch in center but I am planning on putting DS's infant seat in the center when he is born because it takes up more front to back space than most convertibles.

Now for ffing there will be other issues. The seats are straight up and down and right against the glass in the back so the carseat will need to be as straight up and down as possible not to run into the glass too much. The back of the seat can't curve much.

I do have tether, but you have to run the tether strap through a loop and over to the next anchor point, so the tether strap can't be really wide.

When ffing, the kid will not have much space between where their knees bend over and the seat in front, so a seat that sits all the way on the bench will be a must ffing.

I don't mind having to buy a different ffing seat later on, I just want to know what will work in there. If there is a convertible that will take her to booster age and will work rfing and ffing in this truck, then that would be great! Budget is around $100 please (maybe more if it will ff and rf until she is ready for a booster)

I was thinking a scenera because it is so cheap, but I don't know if it will work good for us or not. The myride has been suggested and I plan to try it out, but I am fearing it won't work good ffing in there. Any other ideas? What if budget were no issue?

The seat will be for dd. She is almost 17 mths, about 17.5 lbs, and 26inches tall. The vehicle is a 2004 Chevy silverado extended cab truck. I can take all the pictures needed if it would help me find a seat that will fit this truck and my daughter. Until we find one, she is rfing in the front in an evenflo symphony 65 (the only place I can get a good install) with airbags turned off of course.

ADS

Dorothy

Hi! We have a '00 Silverado extended cab. Some of the awesome members on here helped me a while back, and this is what I learned:

Rearfacing, I have fit a Scenera, Avenue and Roundabout 55 behind the passenger seat. All of those seats will work forward facing if you really shove back, then down with your knee while installing, but the best fit forward facing was the Maestro. Some have had luck with other seats rearfacing and forward facing, but those seem to be the sure bets in the Chevy/GMC extended cabs for outboard installation.

If you're not tall, the MyRide will fit rfing behind the passenger seat, but I would not recommend it for ffing in an extended cab. I haven't tried it, but you might be able to get a Triumph 65 back there. (FWIW, I find anything with deep sides pretty cumbersome for loading and unloading.)

I hope that helps a little!

Haley.h87

We have an 04 GMC ext cab and had this same exact problem. The members here really helped and we ended up getting a Scenera for the truck. Fits great RF in the center with latch and outboard passenger with seatbelt. It is not our primary seat or vehicle but works great. I haven't FFd it in there but it seems as though it would work fine. The My Ride I just got for my car does not fit well at all in there....or at least I couldn't make it. I also had our evenflo titan elite RF and FF in there. It worked well both ways, I just really don't like that seat personally. I can take pictures if you would like of the seats I have in there if that would help

java

Thank you guys! I am really leaning toward getting a scenera and at least trying it. I would love pics! Pics that show rfing and how much room is left up front if possible. We will be using it outboard at least once DS arrives in Jan...unless somehow the snugride takes up less space which I doubt. So I need to be able to get it in with seatbelt well.

So maybe a scenera rfing and eventually a meastro ffing...that would work great for me! Budget seats for a vehicle we will only use 1 or so times a week is awesome :D

Dorothy

java said:
Thank you guys! I am really leaning toward getting a scenera and at least trying it. I would love pics! Pics that show rfing and how much room is left up front if possible. We will be using it outboard at least once DS arrives in Jan...unless somehow the snugride takes up less space which I doubt. So I need to be able to get it in with seatbelt well.

So maybe a scenera rfing and eventually a meastro ffing...that would work great for me! Budget seats for a vehicle we will only use 1 or so times a week is awesome :D

Shoot! I don't have the Scenera anymore. A friend in a pinch... And I don't think I have any pics, either. I was having computer troubles, and I lost them. What I can tell you is that our pickup was pre-LATCH, so we had it installed with a l/s belt. Sorry I'm not more help!

Kaitsmom

Just an fyi, in my Ford Focus, a snugride 22 took up less room then the Scenera because it has to be level with the recline line on the side. I suggest you go somewhere that will let you try seats out, like BRU or buy buy baby, before buying, it will be less hassel then buying and returning.

java

The scenera has to be level? I guess that is right since it's dorel....hmmm. Does everyone actually follow that :whistle: ? Because if I have to have it at a 45 degree angle, that will really mess up using that seat in there I think.

Dorothy

Kaitsmom said:
Just an fyi, in my Ford Focus, a snugride 22 took up less room then the Scenera because it has to be level with the recline line on the side. I suggest you go somewhere that will let you try seats out, like BRU or buy buy baby, before buying, it will be less hassel then buying and returning.

I'm sorry. I certainly didn't leave that out on purpose. TY for pointing that out.

java said:
The scenera has to be level? I guess that is right since it's dorel....hmmm. Does everyone actually follow that :whistle: ? Because if I have to have it at a 45 degree angle, that will really mess up using that seat in there I think.

I was using it at about 32* outboard. :whistle: If you're not comfortable with that, the most ideal situation would be if you could get your hands on a Roundabout at a great price.

Kegracin

I second Dororthyoutofoz recommendation of the RA55 (or MA70/BLVD70) it does really fit in the truck nicely RF, not so much forward facing. FIL has a 2000 ext cab silverado my set up is low-back booster, RA50 RF, MA70 RF its the only vehicle they have that I can fit all three seats in.

java

I really don't want to buy another RA simply because we won't be using this truck a ton and don't have it in the budget right now. But if the scenera doesn't work, it will be my next option. I have one and it does fit nicely rfing in the truck, but not very well ffing (which is another reason I don't want to spend $150 on it)

I would still love a pic of a scenera in this truck :D

unityco

Ambassador - CPS Technician
My BIL has a Silverado, and I've played in their's a little. I'm afraid I don't have much expertise on the RFing seats, but I have put a TF and EFTA in there FF. The EFTA is reportedly a smaller front-to-back RFing seat because of the way the shell rotates in the base. The TF can only go as upright at 35° but it might not be so bad RFing either. :shrug-shoulders:

Anyway, if either of those work for you RFing, at least you'll be able to use them FFing later. :)

Dorothy

java said:
I really don't want to buy another RA simply because we won't be using this truck a ton and don't have it in the budget right now. But if the scenera doesn't work, it will be my next option. I have one and it does fit nicely rfing in the truck, but not very well ffing (which is another reason I don't want to spend $150 on it)

I would still love a pic of a scenera in this truck :D

Gosh, I'm sorry I missed that you already had an RA. I hope the Scenera works for you! :)

Syllieann

We have used the scenera rf center and outboard and ff outboard in our '98. We don't have latch or tt and our belts lock at the latchplate and center is lap-only. It installed easily center and outboard and rf was probably around 35*. My 6'2" dh found it uncomfortable to drive w/ it rf in the center because it required him to put the seat a bit further forward than he liked. It was not a problem to rf behind me on the passenger side-I'm 5'6" and I was still quite comfortable. We had the same issue w/ space when our SR22 was in the center. Once our 2nd kid came along we got a radian and that fit nicely in the center and stuck between the front seats, allowing us to put the SR22 behind passenger.

java

Gosh, I'm sorry I missed that you already had an RA. I hope the Scenera works for you! :)

No big deal, I don't know if I ever mentioned it :eek:

We have used the scenera rf center and outboard and ff outboard in our '98. We don't have latch or tt and our belts lock at the latchplate and center is lap-only. It installed easily center and outboard and rf was probably around 35*. My 6'2" dh found it uncomfortable to drive w/ it rf in the center because it required him to put the seat a bit further forward than he liked. It was not a problem to rf behind me on the passenger side-I'm 5'6" and I was still quite comfortable. We had the same issue w/ space when our SR22 was in the center. Once our 2nd kid came along we got a radian and that fit nicely in the center and stuck between the front seats, allowing us to put the SR22 behind passenger.

We tried a snugride 22 in the center and it fits nicely (that will be for DS when he comes) It's like the hole between the 2 front seats is wide enough that it doesn't affect the driver going back. And I can get any seat I tried next to it on passanger outboard, just not installed correctly. But as far as space side by side we should be great! I just need to figure out what I can install good on the outboard for DD.

If it really comes down to it, I can move the RA55 out of the car but when DH takes the car to work I will have the truck and if I don't think about moving it before hand, I won't be able to go anywhere...that's why I want the truck to have it's own seats.

alvey2686

We have fit both a True Fit and a Roundabout rfing in our 2002 GMC Sierra ext. cab...haven't tried ffing yet. Our TF without the head rest fit nicely behind either outboard seat. With the headrest we had to put it in the center. I have yet to get a good install, but my hubby gets a great install every time. We have learned that a rolled up towel helps a lot with the TF. The Roundabout was easy for both of us to install well. I think you can get a true fit for about $100 right now at various places.

Good Luck!

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC