Does everyone just use their standard tethers for their regent?

mommyto4kiddos

Senior Community Member
I am mostly wondering about once you go over the weight limit for your car. Has anyone had a more heavy duty one installed?

Why does the vest need a special one if the regent can use the regular one?

Does anyone not feel ok using it above the weight limit?

ADS

mommy2env

I didnt even know you could install a heavier duty one. :confused: And would it make a difference, are they tested. Now you made me wonder, hopefully someone can chime in with their knowledge.

Kellyr2

I would like to get some heavy duty anchors, but for now, I just use the standard ones in my car, and based on Safe Kids info, feel safe doing that.

southpawboston

who has any evidence that a heavier-duty anchor will increase the TA limits in the vehicle??? i have not heard such a thing. don't forget that it's not only the anchor to consider... it's also the structure to which it is mounted that is a factor in the weight limit. plus, doesn't britax use rip-stitching in their tethers? wouldn't that give before a high-strength steel TA?

Victorious4

Senior Community Member
Vehicle manufacturers only test to a couple/few hundred pounds, but EZOn's are tested to over a thousand....

I had my Ford dealer install the EZOn tether in the plow truck because it has a lap only belt -- I don't worry is the Husky (Regent) can be installed with a lap+shoulder belt, though.

southpawboston

Vehicle manufacturers only test to a couple/few hundred pounds, but EZOn's are tested to over a thousand....

right, but my point was that even if the EZon is tested to a million pounds, that's *not in the vehicle*. it doesn't mean that the vehicle structure can support the TA. so unless the stronger TA is tested in the vehicle in question, there's nothing to say that the stronger TA will be any more effective. it's quite possible the vehicle structure to which the TA is attached will deform long before even a standard TA will snap. so if it isn't tested *in the vehicle*, then there's no way of knowing if it's any better...

Defrost

Moderator - CPSTI Emeritus
I am mostly wondering about once you go over the weight limit for your car. Has anyone had a more heavy duty one installed?

Why does the vest need a special one if the regent can use the regular one?

Does anyone not feel ok using it above the weight limit?

The vests need one because they are holding much larger kids, up to 165 pounds (with smaller kids you can use the anchor that's already in the vehicle, depending on what weight they're approved to).

scatterbunny

I honestly don't worry about tether anchors failing; I fully believe IF they do, it will already have done it's job of reducing head excursion. The worst of the crash forces will be over, and the seatbelt is still going to hold the seat in. A Ford engineer posted to the CPSPList a few years ago that he was confident Ford's anchors would hold more than 60 pounds (the current weight limit for TAs in a Ford).

Right now I have Hayley's Husky installed using the long belt path+recline bar+top tether. I'm considering switching it to short belt path just to see if I can do it, since that's the new approved method for kids her weight for the new Regent. I won't worry about getting the heavy duty anchor kit unless I order the 86-Y harness.

joolsplus3

Admin - CPS Technician
right, but my point was that even if the EZon is tested to a million pounds, that's *not in the vehicle*. it doesn't mean that the vehicle structure can support the TA. so unless the stronger TA is tested in the vehicle in question, there's nothing to say that the stronger TA will be any more effective. it's quite possible the vehicle structure to which the TA is attached will deform long before even a standard TA will snap. so if it isn't tested *in the vehicle*, then there's no way of knowing if it's any better...

It's a thicker bolt and it comes with a huge reinforcement plate thing (ie, large washer to put under the sheet metal)... that wouldn't make it stronger? You can't just put it in the same hole that the standard car's anchor was in, you have to drill a thicker hole to accomodate the thicker bolt. It's the hook on the vest that is thicker, I hope... I heard offhand once that it wasn't the car's standard anchors that failed as the dummies got heavier when testing the tether anchors, it was the hooks on the anchor strap on the carseats that failed...I don't know if things have changed since then but it's interesting.

At any rate, plenty of people have been tethering seats well above the stated limits for years (I'm saying, the regular people who think their coscos should harness to 80 pounds, so it's misuse, but still), and the same cars in Canada have the same bolts that have always gone to 48 pounds and now are going to 65 pounds, so I'm not in the least bit afraid of my Regent tether failing even if I use it over the top listed weight limit :)

musicmaj

It's a thicker bolt and it comes with a huge reinforcement plate thing (ie, large washer to put under the sheet metal)... that wouldn't make it stronger? You can't just put it in the same hole that the standard car's anchor was in, you have to drill a thicker hole to accomodate the thicker bolt. It's the hook on the vest that is thicker, I hope... I heard offhand once that it wasn't the car's standard anchors that failed as the dummies got heavier when testing the tether anchors, it was the hooks on the anchor strap on the carseats that failed...I don't know if things have changed since then but it's interesting.

At any rate, plenty of people have been tethering seats well above the stated limits for years (I'm saying, the regular people who think their coscos should harness to 80 pounds, so it's misuse, but still), and the same cars in Canada have the same bolts that have always gone to 48 pounds and now are going to 65 pounds, so I'm not in the least bit afraid of my Regent tether failing even if I use it over the top listed weight limit :)

Would you feel the same way if you were using a vest/harness?

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC