Question 2011 or 2012 Honda Pilot or whatnot?

SignCuer

My faithful 1996 Ford Windstar is dying :( its still drivable but I want to get something new before winter. Man I love that van... easy 3 acrosses, easy RFing, so far no incompatiblities with any car seats I have tried.

Am looking for a 2012 Honda Pilot... any differences betweeen 2011 or 2012? I just need:

6 seating potential since I'm a nanny to 5 kids including Yani's seat will be in there as well.

Wanting to have a SUV

Good mileage

Enough cargo space for my lovable Goldie (he's around 65lbs) (the 3rd row doesn't need to be upright all the time)

Top tethers and headrests in all positions..

Pros and cons about Pilots in general?

Thanks!

ADS

NVMBR02

We have been looking at Pilots, we are about 90% sure a 2012 pilot will be our next car.

We are looking at the EX-L (4 wheel drive)and there aren't many differences between the two model years but the 2012 Pilot does get better gas mileage there are a few other minor differences but nothing that was important to us so I can't remember what they are.

None of the dealerships near us have the 2011s in stock anymore, so that is something to consider if you are buying new.

Melanie

We came very close to buying a Pilot last year. If my current vehicle wasn't available, I'd have a Pilot right now. We looked at about everything in the 30k range (new). A lot of the other SUV/Crossovers don't have headrests and top tethers in all spots. To have 6 rear car seats, I think the Pilot will be your best bet for a SUV. Although...with that many kids sliding doors would be very convenient.

With the third row up, there's not a lot of cargo space. Your dog won't fit without laying the third row down. Unless you get a giant SUV like a Suburban, they're all like that though. Three carseats in the third row will be tight. Those are the only negatives I can think of.

SignCuer

Thanks! Well having Sammy laying down is beneficial :) he loves to sit up and its hard to see out back so taking away the repetition of telling him to lie down is a bonus :D

I just need to be able to fit:

Sceneras (both 35 and 40 RFing) (2 yr and 4 yr)
Graco TB (6 yr) (HBB)
Combi Shuttle (Yani eventually when I get it) other than that she's in a Scenera until I find a seat that fits her best... probably MyRide or the Classic Marathon)
Evenflo Big Kid (8 yr old) HBB
Graco Snugride22 but I'm going to replace it with a convertible since I babywear often (6 week old infant)

I'm going to get the original Radians (I don't like the new ones) shortly. However new seats are coming out so I will look in them (Foonf anyone? :))

So anyone knows how they will fit? I might have to go to Honda and try them all in but it's kinda tough with a demanding 6 month old :)

On my faithful sidekick :) Don't text and drive... It may save a life!

My ladybug, 6 months old, 13 lbs, 25 1/2 inches riding in different seats each day until she gets her Combi Shuttle 35!

wavegal

The only seat I have ever had a hard time installing in a pilot has been a recaro como.

It sounds like the pilot will meet your needs, love ours!

Carrie_R

Ambassador - CPS Technician
I haven't worked in the 2011/2012 Pilots, but I believe their 3rd row is essentially the same is in my 2006's. I would be really remiss to tell you anything other than that six in that vehicle is possible, but the third row is TIGHT. You need very specific seats -- almost always including a RF Radian -- in order to have a prayer of getting three back there. Radian/MyRide is your best bet. On the up side, the kids 5-step early back there, which will help as your younger kids start turning forward.

I will say I really like the vehicle, a lot -- my very favorite setup was three rearfacers in the third row, and then anyone/anything in the second row. It's very do-able to load the rearfacers from the hatch, so I didn't miss sliding doors so much. Right now, having no kidlets in my charge, I don't mind driving it around empty (whereas a van would feel "weird") and even with taking on just two, it doesn't seem as strange as having a half-empty van. But I'm thankful to have the flexible seating capacity.

Be aware that cargo room is minimal with both rows in use. I had to trade in my good ol' travel system Graco for a stroller with umbrella fold, although others with Pilots say they've been able to get full-sized strollers back there. Maybe I don't have the knack :eek:

Let me know if you want more info on three in the third row.

SafeDad

CPSDarren - Admin
Staff member
I have a full review of the Pilot that is nearly finished and should appear at CarseatBlog within the next week or two.

You can do 3-across in the 2nd row with careful selection. In the third row, 3-across harnessed seats is going to be very difficult if not impossible. You might manage with a Radian and a couple Bubblebums or something like that, though.

Honestly, with more than 3 kids in harnessed carseats, no midsize SUV comes close to a minivan. Similarly equipped, minivans are cheaper up front, use less gas and are generally more carseat friendly. But, if you really want a midsize SUV, the 2012 Pilot is hard to beat for seating kids and getting better than average fuel economy for the class.

If good mileage is important, the other contenders would be the 2012 Mazda5, 2012 Kia Sorento 4-cylinder w/GDI and the 2012 Ford Explorer Ecoboost. The latter being closest to the Pilot in overall size, the other two are somewhat smaller.

Carrie_R

The Mazda5 won't seat six kids though, will it?

Darren, if you still have access to the Pilot (not sure if it's yours or you just had access to it,) could you measure the 3rd row buckle stalk (or seatbelt anchor, whichever is applicable) to buckle stalk, for both the 60 and 40 portions? I'd like to know if it's substantially the same as my '06, for the purposes of counseling parents on here.

SafeDad

CPSDarren - Admin
Staff member
Do you mean the distance between the two outboard stalks? (The passenger side one being rigid and the driver side one flexible). The passenger side one is relatively narrow so many boosters can overlap it.

I can measure in the morning if I remember before it goes away lol.

Carrie_R

No... on the 40 portion, the distance from the anchor to the buckle, like this --

and on the 60 portion, a separate measurement from the seatbelt anchor (driver's side of the vehicle, all the way at the edge of the bench) to the buckle (center position, where the fold is,) like this --

I know hip room is very close to the same as in my '06 but it's really those distances that determine what fits back there. :) (They're 14" and 25" in those pictures, FWIW.)

Thanks!

Admin

Admin - Webmaster
I would say it is very close to that. I took a couple photos for reference I can upload later if you need them.

SignCuer

Ah.. ok so I would have to walk in and try it out... I do want Radians so... anyone know how they fit FF in the 3rd row? I know some people have had problems.

Darren- excited to see the review coming out!

Carrie, pming ya!

On my faithful sidekick :) Don't text and drive... It may save a life!

My ladybug, 6 months old, 13 lbs, 25 1/2 inches riding in different seats each day until she gets her Combi Shuttle 35!

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC