Making kids safer, one question at a time.  Welcome to the Car-Seat.Org community!   Motor Vehicle Crashes are the #1 cause of fatal injury for children and adults, age groups 1 to 34.   Selecting a safe car, minivan or SUV, plus correctly using child restraints and seatbelts may be the most important things you can do to protect your family.   Need help installing an infant, convertible or booster seat?   Looking for carseat reviews or compatibility advice? Need help buying the best and safest car seats for your baby, toddler or older kid?   No question is a bad one, so please click here to ask our experts a question and then join our friendly community of moms, dads, caregivers and advocates in the USA and Canada.   Thank you for visiting; buckle-up and drive safely!

Sponsored Ads

+ Reply to Thread
    CPS Technician

Radian RFing on a plane? UPDATE first post

In a large part due to help from many of you, I've decided to give flying with our radian a go. So, for those of you that used a radian on a plane, was it RFing or ffing? I'm not even sure it will fit RFing, and if that's the case it'd be nice to know ahead of time. DS will be just two for this trip, so ffing is ok, but RFing would be better.

Update:
    I didn't bother trying it RFing, but FFing this seat rocks for travel! FFing on the plane was super easy (although I did like having DS RFing a little bit more), but best of all, the radian fit perfectly in our maclaren umbrella stroller, and was easy to get on the plane on my back. Plus all the straps/latch buckles have a stowing place, which is great. This will be our flying seat from now on!
    Last edited by mrosehughes; 11-04-2011 at 06:04 PM.

2. # ADS
    Sponsored Ads

CPS Fanatic

Re: Radian RFing on a plane?

I was told that the Radian would not fit rf so I've only used it ff. It's a great forward-facing seat. My DS loved how he could use the tray table on the plane while he was in his car seat. It also gave him a decent amount of leg room on the plane, which isn't always true with some other car seats.

At 2yo, my suggestion would be to use it ff on the plane and rf when you get to your destination. You'll need to adjust the harness straps so they are above his shoulders for the plane ride. Then move them back down to below his shoulders for the car. I would probably take the rf boot in my carry on bag just to keep it safe and with me for the flight.

Melanie

CPST and ketchup snob ketchupqueen's Avatar

On a very small minority of planes, it will fit rear-facing in the bulkhead seats only. In many planes, it won't even fit there, even if you can get those seats.

At 2 I'd use it forward-facing on the plane without worry, too.
    CPST and Mom to Emma, 15, Bridget, 13, Maggie, 11, Katie Sue, 6, Jimmy, born May 2019,
    and Becky, waiting for us as part of our eternal family.
    Our '02 Odyssey, car seats, and seatbelts saved our lives. Now riding in a '13 Odyssey!

CPS Technician

I used a Radian RFing in a bulkhead seat on an overnight flight so my 2 year old could sleep. I wouldn't do it again, but once I got it in there it was just time to go, so we did it that once. It was way back at a 45 degree angle, the flight attendant was polite but very dubious (and of course I told her politely that I was a CPST), and getting it in and out was really difficult because the arm rests don't go up. I think it would have been fine with an under 12 month old, if that's the seat you had and you had no other options, but I wouldn't do it over.

You can always check your airplane seat assignment at seatguru.com to see the size. I really love the Radian FF on planes. I really hate carting it through the airport, though.
    Kathleen, CPST and mom to a pair of Cs.

Carseat Crazy

The Radian is a dream to install FFing on a plane. RFing it may not fit on most seats. But if it does fit RFing, you may need to ask for a seatbelt extender.
    J, 7 yrs, 41 lbs, Evenflo Big Kid, Recaro Prosport, Turbo SS
    A, 5 yrs, 31 lbs, RF TFP/Princess Radian, and FF SecureKid/Maestro
    M, >1yr, RF TFP/Radian

Carseat Crazy

We've flown w/ it, but only ffing. Even if we'd had bulkhead seats, there was no way it was fitting rfing on the planes we were on. DD was 3, so we sat her ffing.

I know other people love flying w/ the Radian, but we hated it. It was heavy and awkward. We much prefer flying w/ our Avenues. The big advantage to the Radian was that the tray on the airplane seat was useable when the seat was ffing. Well, once we turned DD ffing (on planes) in her Avenue, we found that they tray worked w/ that one too. It does not work w/ our Britaxes.
    K (9/07) 90 lbs, 58" & E (7/09) 70lbs, 53.5", GHD / bone age delay
    2017 Subaru WRX: K - RightGuide, E - Olli
    2014 Subaru Forester: K - RightGuide/5-stepping, E - GoFitPlus
    Other Cars/Travel: K - Incognito, E - Bubblebum

Quote Originally Posted by jnamommy View Post
    But if it does fit RFing, you may need to ask for a seatbelt extender.

But is it really okay to use an extender with a car seat on a plane? I know the couple of vehicle manuals I'm familiar with say never to use a seatbelt extender with a child restraint(though there's really never a reason to in a car, it just makes me wonder about it on a plane).

Carseat Crazy

Quote Originally Posted by vmmatula View Post
    But is it really okay to use an extender with a car seat on a plane? .
    Absolutely it is safe. And depending on your carseat, it is very necessary. If you have a carseat with a closed belt buckle, it is impossible to "lift" the airplane buckle to undo and remove the carseat. The only way to get the carseat uninstalled is to remove the seatbelt from the seat.....been there, done that, not fun

Just ask the flight attendants for a seatbelt extender when you get on board and they will bring you one. This allows you to make sure you have access to a buckle and can undo the carseat when you arrive.
    J, 7 yrs, 41 lbs, Evenflo Big Kid, Recaro Prosport, Turbo SS
    A, 5 yrs, 31 lbs, RF TFP/Princess Radian, and FF SecureKid/Maestro
    M, >1yr, RF TFP/Radian

It fits RF in "economy plus" seats.

I've flown with it RF in regular economy seats too, installed without the RF foot, but its just as upright if not more so than FF.
    Mama to my awesome environmentalist kid Levi! (google him if you'd like!)
    7-13-07, 55", 62lbs
    Rearfaced to 8yrs, 9months (is now 10) Still boostered!
    CPST as of 6/19/08!