Possibly switching vehicles

farrbabies

Hi
We have two vehicles at the moment. A 2005 Toyota sienna 7 passenger and a 2005 Honda civic sedan.

My parents are so nice to trade vehicles with us in a few months because they realized I was cramming 3 radians in my civic and my odd had to climb underneath the rfing seats to get to hers.

My question is..my parents vehicle is a 2005 sienna 8 passenger. I'm looking ahead for seats / puzzling that work well. Like a latchable booster for when odd outgrows the radian. Dd2 is almost out of rfing except for the radian xt. The radian xt over reclines in the middle seats of our sienna 7 passenger. Is it going to do the same in the 8? I don't want to install it in the back bench. Although if I must I will.

My parents live 3 hours away so I can't go "play.". Winter is coming so I definitely don't want to play musical seats then either.

The radians are FF in the middle of my civic and rfing outboard.

Oh and for some reason I can't find the Canadian section with my app.

Thanks

ADS

Brigala

CPST Instructor
If you have an over recline issue, the new Diono angle adjuster should fix it.

I'm curious about why you have the FF Radian outboard in your civic. I have a 2005 also and I keep my RF Radian in the center and one FF Radian is outboard. A teen sits in the other outboard spot. It looks cramped but it's pretty comfortable. Of course once the FF child gets too big for the Radian, our options will be very limited.

farrbabies

Oops I meant my radian FF in center :p. Rfing outboard in my civic. Oh yeah I forgot about the wedges!

About the latchable boosters I was thinking of sunshine ones. Anyone with an 8 passenger know if it fits the center seat?

Last edited:

Brigala

CPST Instructor
Sorry, that was MY typo. I meant to ask why you have the FF ones outboard. :) I would put the RF one in the middle to eliminate the "crawling under" issue. I don't have any trouble buckling DD RF into the center by reaching over the FF seat that's behind the passenger.

farrbabies

Hi
I have two rfing. They don't puzzle in my civic any other way unless I FF one. However in the sienna I should have more room. :)

Brigala

CPST Instructor
Hmm. Good to know! I always assumed I would be able to RF two seats side-by-side in my Civic. I may need to re-think that plan.

But my long-term plan (if I have another child) would be to put the older one outboard with the Diono wedge, and the younger one in the center without the wedge. Would putting ond RF seat more upright make it work, do you think, or is the puzzling problem down at the bases of the seat?

Darn. Now you've ruined my day. LOL. :D (Ok, not really, but it looks like I need to break out the old phone book to stand in for a Diono wedge and do some experimenting.)

Pixels

No way are you going to fit two facing the same direction side by side. They will still hit.

Alternating Radians FF/RF/FF or RF/FF/RF, or swap out a RFing Radian for a BabyTrend, or three seats RFing Radian/MyRide/Radian. That's all that I've confirmed will work in the Civic, and I've TRIED. Oh, and with three RFing seats you won't be able to use the Diono angle adjusters, because without it the MR is at minimum recline.

Brigala

CPST Instructor
*sigh*

I really can't have two outboard car seats of any kind because I can't afford to give up that middle seat or expect a 6 ft tall teenager to squeeze over or under a car seat and then scrunch in the center position. So I'll have to find something that will work if we manage to have another baby. DD would only be a little over 2 at that point so I would not be prepared to FF her. I really don't want it to come down to a question of "can I afford to drive the gas guzzling Suburban so I can keep my toddler RF"

I'm glad you posted this because now I know I'll need to figure something else out if I manage to get pregnant again and not wait until the last minute. I'll try not to worry about it until then, though.

farrbabies

Omg my odd is almost 6 and she has a tough time as it is squeezing underneath the rfing seats so I can't even imagine a teenager! Sorry to put a damper on your plan to keep 2 rfing radians together.

This is the reason why we are almost 100% swapping vehicles.

I did ponder the thought of keeping a seat in the trunk and using what I needed depending on the day (odd is in school full days now) but I still need to get them to and from the sitter. And dh and I work opposite shifts which is why we have two vehicles and 8 seats (weeded some out already)!

If gas wasn't so darn expensive I would get a truck!!! Haha. Plus I love my civic!

Oh and thanks pixels for clarifying what can be puzzled in a civic. :)

momtoo3

*sigh*

I really can't have two outboard car seats of any kind because I can't afford to give up that middle seat or expect a 6 ft tall teenager to squeeze over or under a car seat and then scrunch in the center position. So I'll have to find something that will work if we manage to have another baby. DD would only be a little over 2 at that point so I would not be prepared to FF her. I really don't want it to come down to a question of "can I afford to drive the gas guzzling Suburban so I can keep my toddler RF"

I'm glad you posted this because now I know I'll need to figure something else out if I manage to get pregnant again and not wait until the last minute. I'll try not to worry about it until then, though.

You can do RF Radian outboard with a RF MyRide in the middle as Pixels said, and still have an outboard seat available.

ETA: Also my sister has a 2 door focus with a tiny back seat. She can get 3 Tributes back there with one RF in the middle and either RF or FF outboard on one side and FF on the other side. To make it work, 1 outboard seat has to be FF but she can get 2 RF seats in there. I don't know if it would work in a Civic though.

Dillipop

Oops I meant my radian FF in center :p. Rfing outboard in my civic. Oh yeah I forgot about the wedges!

About the latchable boosters I was thinking of sunshine ones. Anyone with an 8 passenger know if it fits the center seat?

I have an 08 8 passenger and the SK Monterey. I have tried ds in the center seat with it and am uncomfortable with how the seatbelt meets the guide. I find the belt guide is even with where the belt comes out of the seat and ds still has a few more clicks to go.

That said, the monterey fits like a dream in the outboard positions in the center row as well as the outboard positions of the rear row. I haven't tried it in the center of the third row.

I've tried the radian rfing in the center of the 3rd row and it works great. I've read that other have had luck with the rfing radians in the center outboard spots but have issues in the center seat? But I think I read that the new wedge would likely solve the issues the radian has in the Sienna.

Brigala

CPST Instructor
You can do RF Radian outboard with a RF MyRide in the middle as Pixels said, and still have an outboard seat available.

Yeah, I know there will be options. I don't like the idea of a My Ride in the center because I think it will impinge a lot on the space for the passenger. But I might not have many other options.

I wonder whether a Radian outboard and a Coccoro in the center would work. Or a Comfort Sport. And of course I'll try my Onboard Air in the center with the Radian outboard to see whether that will work. I know it works with the Radian FF. If that would work, I wouldn't need any new seats for a long time; by the time theoretical-baby outgrew the OBA I might be ready to FF DD because she should be 3 or 3.5 or maybe even nearly 4 by then.

So... I'm sure I have options. I'm just glad to know that I'm going to have to explore them sooner rather than later if another child is on the horizon.

Little Ps Mama

Brigala said:
Yeah, I know there will be options. I don't like the idea of a My Ride in the center because I think it will impinge a lot on the space for the passenger. But I might not have many other options.

I

I have an 08 sienna 8 passenger with a mr outboard behind the driver and one in the middle. Works great there.

emandbri

I have an 8 passenger 04. I had a rfing radian in the middle center and it worked with the old boot but couldn't get it as tight as I would like with the new boot.

I have a Monterrey back bench passenger side and it works great! I haven't tried it middle I like it outboard so I can see out the rear-view mirror. It also fit outboard middle row.

I was not happy with the my ride rfing outboard or middle second rue, it was tight at the belt path but if I pushed on the side of the seat it would tip really bad, it fit fine ffing. Also with it in the center seat it was harder to flip the outboard seats because it was so wide.

Good luck!

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC