New info on the Radian.

safeinthecar

Moderator - CPS Technician
I called Sunshine kids to ask a few questions this morning and I thought you all might be interested in the answers.

1. I asked if you could use the safe stop for children over 40 lbs. They said yes.

2. I asked if you could use it rfing without the removable base. They said yes.

3. I asked if you could use it without the chest clip. ( I hate the chest clip on that thing. It's way to small for my big kiddos. I can get the harness much tighter without it bending the straps sideways over their chests.) They said yes.

Maybe someone else wants to call also and make sure they are consistent with this info?

Kimberly

ADS

Yoshi

Hmmm...all of those answers go against the manual, and regardless of whom you talked with- this sounds just plain wrong to me. May I ask you why you asked those questions when they are pretty straightforward no-no's according to the manual? Just curious...Did you get the name of the rep. you spoke with?

CDNTech

Senior Community Member
It would be really nice if you could use it RF without the base, you would definitely need to use pool noodles to help support it, but it would open a lot of doors for people.

I'm concerned that none of those responses match up what the manual says though. Do they plan to redo the manual to state these answers?

ThreeBeans

If that is true about the RF base I will throw a party :eek:

But everything you just said is completely contrary to the manual :confused:

ThreeBeans

Can someone post Russ' email? I want it straight from the horse's mouth, so I can print it out and staple it to the manual :p

LuvBug

sounds to me like that rep was just a yesman lol!

Id definitely get a second opinion... so who wants to email Russ? :ROTFLMAO:

arly1983

If I could use the radian RFIng without a base, I would personally do a happy jig and order another radian.

We all loved the radian RFing, except my husband, who is quite tall, because his knees were in the dashboard of the van.

Picture308.jpg

easterbun

If that is true about the RF base I will throw a party :eek:

I think a lot of us would!!! :eek: :love:

If I could use it without the base I can put it RF behind my passenger seat - because it's longer it needs to be a bit more upright than I can get it with the base, at least not without having the passenger seat all the way forward (which is not happening - I often have a front seat passenger between my mom and DH!)

Someone please post as soon as you get an email reply.. :thumbsup:

ThreeBeans

Mmm, I love me a fat, bald baby :love:

My babies are traditionally skinny and hairy :rolleyes:

*anxiously refreshes Outlook every 17 seconds to see if a reply from Russ has arrived*

Morganthe

I'd certainly love to hear the answer back from Russ about the Chest clip. Especially if it was tested this way. I'd ditch that thing so fast if I knew dd would be just as safe without it as she was in her Maxi-Cosi that never had one.
I'd be able to really snug down her harness with absolutely no complaints on her part. She wants it tighter, but the buckle really hurts her chest and makes the harness too tight on her neck if it's in the proper position.

canadianmom2three

I have also gotten some crazy answers from them over the phone, and even totally opposing answers in the very same day (are the canadian radians the same as the us radians? - 1st answer - no they are totally different, the canadians have different standards, and the tether laws are different, they have a totally different shell in canada, 2nd answer - yes they are identical in every way but the labels...) and also (is it possible that my radian could have harness straps that are too short? 1st answer - no that is impossible, we have sold thousands of these seats and not had one complaint like that 2nd answer - well there were a very small number of seats that were inadvertently shipped with short straps, but most of them were called back, so it is very unlikely that you ended up with one, 3rd answer - yes sorry we will send you a new one) I don't even bother with calling anymore, I just email Russ...:eek:

becca011906

Senior Community Member
I've called SK once to find out IF i could use LATCH past 48# (when Land rover told me they didn't have an upper weight limit for LATCH, when on contrary they do when i email them they have a 48#limit), but SK told me that i was fine to use it to when ever the car said i could... when i emailed i got a better answer.

Judi

CPST/Firefighter
I have no issues with the foot, except that it is a separate part. I am afraid I may lose it! But I don't have a 45 degree angle with it on either.

arly1983

I have no issues with the foot, except that it is a separate part. I am afraid I may lose it! But I don't have a 45 degree angle with it on either.

We have a perfect 45 degree angle. My DH had a Macgyver (no offence) moment....He suggested we make some kind of wedge to slide under the radian so it wouldn't be so angled:ROTFLMAO:

ThreeBeans

Ok, here's the email I got from Russ:

Joanna,

First-off – very, VERY cute pictures, thank you!! I love to see that stuff! Thanks, really.

1) OK – Based on our testing results with 33 lbs RF dummy, I am sure that Radian65 and Radian80 can be used RF with a child above 33 lbs – BUT we need to test in order to confirm a new higher weight. We will do that later this summer. Check back with me in about a month or so.

At the time, we didn’t think people would want to go beyond 33 lbs – but who knew? Our 33 lb RF numbers are REALLY good – low 60 degrees on resultant angle. I would guess that this is better than a lot of RF convertible seats do at 22 lbs.

2) Need to use the RF base when installing RF. Radian’s unique base design really simplifies RF installation – really. This is very important to us, especially for those parents who are either unfamiliar with seats and/or are not include to read instruction manuals!

If the instructions were written for a different group of individuals, perhaps the instructions would be different and perhaps there not even be a base needed. But, that is not the way life is. So, everyone must use the base, because we say so. And it really does make RF installation easier.

3) We want you to use the chest clip. It can only be a positive addition to harness performance, so we want you to use it.

I hope my answers were helpful.

How do you like your Radian seats?

Best regards,

Russ

Now, the first question I asked him was about SafeStop, NOT about higher rearfacing weights, so I'm not sure where he got that one :D Interesting to know, but didn't answer the question.

If I'm reading between the lines correctly for number two, he's saying using the seat in a rear-facing position with the boot *might* be safe, but people are too dumb to follow different sorts of directions, so they have ONE answer and that is that you MUST use it.

Sounds like the chest clip is non-negotiable.

Now, my next question is, who was this SK rep the OP talked to, and why does he have a job there :confused:

Morganthe

I just left the rf foot in the original box for storage and put them both up into the attic. I've learned the hard way to try and keep as many original boxes for 'baby' & electronic gear as I can. Better for moving, returns, and helps with resale value, especially since I don't have to be worried about losing important parts over long periods of time.

Occasionally, the large boxes come in handy for other stuff too. One time, I UPS'd a floor unit A/C for service in a Peg perego Highchair box :D It was the only thing that would fit. :whistle:

arly1983

Well, I am really pleased the RFing weight limit might be going up :).....but that didn't answer the safestop question....

I do wonder how they train their CSRs:confused:

Judi

CPST/Firefighter
I ordered the bag with mine. The "plan" is to put it in the bag when I am not using it. I hope the RF limit goes up! I weighed little cutie at the car seat clinic yesterday and she is 30 lbs! She was 26 lbs and couple weeks ago! Dang breast fed toddlers. I told mom we need to stop feeding her! She easts non stop! J/K

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC