Never realized how "reclined" the back of the True Fit is..

mkmama

I installed the TrueFit last night forward facing for the first time in its life with me...and was amazed at how much of a recline the back of that seat seems to have (and yes, I had the bottom flipped the correct direction).

I had to take the headrest off my Sienna seat, and actually climb into the TrueFit to get it to compress the vehicle seat enough that the entire back of the TrueFit was touching the back of the Sienna seat.

Anyone else had issues getting the entire back to touch the vehicle seat? Does the entire back have to touch the vehicle seat? I was installing with LATCH, so reclining the vehicle seat more wasn't an option since the Sienna requires the whole 5 clicks back thing when using LATCH.

ADS

Carrie_R

Ambassador - CPS Technician
When I had a TF and used it FFing, it had a major recline (I would say it rivaled the MR, honestly.) I always chalked it up to the fact that my seatbelt anchor was mounted on the van wall, significantly forward-of-bight, but maybe that's how it installs always?

I don't know the rules about whether the back of the seat needs to be fully in contact. Hopefully someone else can chime in with that info. :)

rachelandtyke

I've never had trouble with the back not touching ffing in my T&C or my parents' Camry. In our van, I do take the headrest off for the installation. I always kind of climb into my seats before tightening, but it is in snug and I never thought it appeared reclined. My seatbacks are fully upright.

PurpleCat

My seat bench is reclined all the way back. The seats are super slopey so I just assumed it was because of that.

disbugsmomma

My TF has a bit of a gap at the bottom when installed in my mom's Pilot, but I've never worried about it as it's in tight. I actually like that it has a bit of recline. Dd seems comfortable, she's never complained.

SusanMae

Senior Community Member
My manual doesn't say anything about making sure the entire back is on vehicle seat. In fact the line drawings show a gap.

Susan

NannyMom

It is really reclined. Is yours a Premiere? I always thought that was why mine was so reclined. I too took the headrest off in my Sienna. I don't think the back is in total contact with the vehicle seat. I do love the recline though, no head slump.

Mags462

I don't have an angle indicator (nor a cool iphone w/ app!) but the TF is much less reclined the the MR i installed in my Sienna. :eek: And i do like that it isn't bolt upright like the Nauti or Radians.... keeps my 3.5 year old much happier. :D

As a complete aside how on earth do you know what "5clicks" is?! I know its supposed to be 5 clicks but my seats don't "click".... its just a smooth adjustment.... so i admit i have them reclined, but i have no idea if it's 5 clicks or more :eek: I have a TF installed FF in a captains chair atm and it completely touches the seat back.

NannyMom

I don't have an angle indicator (nor a cool iphone w/ app!) but the TF is much less reclined the the MR i installed in my Sienna. :eek: And i do like that it isn't bolt upright like the Nauti or Radians.... keeps my 3.5 year old much happier. :D

As a complete aside how on earth do you know what "5clicks" is?! I know its supposed to be 5 clicks but my seats don't "click".... its just a smooth adjustment.... so i admit i have them reclined, but i have no idea if it's 5 clicks or more :eek: I have a TF installed FF in a captains chair atm and it completely touches the seat back.

To find 5 clicks.... I put the seat totally upright... as in, I fold it forward than push it back until it clicks into 1st position. Then I pull the strap and push it back slowly (and release the strap) until it clicks into 2nd position. I keep doing that until I get to 5 ;)

mkmama

To find 5 clicks.... I put the seat totally upright... as in, I fold it forward than push it back until it clicks into 1st position. Then I pull the strap and push it back slowly (and release the strap) until it clicks into 2nd position. I keep doing that until I get to 5 ;)

Yeah that....and its literally like 1/2 a centimeter between clicks, so gotta be careful to get the strap released as soon as you have it moved from the position it was in.

Ironically I reinstalled the TF last night..and turns out I only had my seat 4 clicks back originally (proving its easy to mis-count) -- once I put that 5th click in there, it was much easier to install flush with the seat. Still have to have the headrest off though.

cmm7

Funny, while it is reclined in my mom's car, the way the top is angled makes it one of the few seats to install super easy in there. Her headrest is stationary and while the bottom part of the back on the TF isn't flush, it is the only seat where the top can make contact without a huge fuss.

Mags462

Any tips for the captains chairs? Mine is a lever on the side of the seat and the seat back literally just pivots if you pull that lever. Much different than the back bench :mad:

NannyMom

Any tips for the captains chairs? Mine is a lever on the side of the seat and the seat back literally just pivots if you pull that lever. Much different than the back bench :mad:

I meant lever. I usually pay more attention to it with the captain's chairs than with the back bench. But, just pull the lever for a second until you feel the seatback unlock, let go of the lever, push seatback into the next click position. Lather, rinse, repeat

essnce629

I let my best friend borrow my TFP for her 4 year old dd for a year and when we put it in her car ff'ing it seemed super reclined. She later went home and re-read the manual and found out that there are 2 ff'ing (and rf'ing) recline positions and that we had it in the more reclined position. I knew it had 2 recline positions for rf'ing (and I had been using it in the most reclined position), but I didn't know you could recline it ff'ing too. So maybe some of you have it in the more reclined ff'ing position? The recline adjuster is the yellow lever you squeeze that is under the rf'ing harness adjuster. It talks about it on page 47 of the TFP manual.

mkmama

I do my captains chairs as NannyMom does her back seat...mine are levers too, and like I said, its literally maybe 1/2 centimeter between clicks, so gotta be careful to release lever as soon as possible to catch next click.

So flip it forward, lock the bottom back in place, push the seatback until it clicks...pull up lever just until you can move seat back, move seat back about 1/2 centimeter, release lever, push seat back until it clicks, repeat.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC