Strap Covers

Strap covers?

• I would/might use them if necessary.

Votes: 22 81.5%
  • You're going to Car Seat Hell for even considering it.

Votes: 5 18.5%

• Total voters

Brigala

CPST Instructor
Ok, after reading the "Bad Tech" thread a few weeks ago, I know I can't be the only one...

My Complete Air is one of the types with the stiff plastic harness covers that can't be removed on it.

They cut into my daughter's neck something horrid. Sometimes the red marks last for over 24 hours after she comes out of the seat.

That seat didn't come with any soft strap covers.

I don't think baby socks are going to do the trick.

I'm (gasp) considering either buying or sewing a pair of harness strap covers. Obviously I wouldn't buy or make them big enough to push in the chest clip, or thick enough to keep me from tightening down the straps properly.

I thought maybe I'd buy a pair of Onboard Air strap covers to match, modify them if necessary, and use those, but as near as I can tell you can't buy the strap covers alone; you can only get a complete pad or cover set.

Are there any aftermarket strap covers which you think can (cautiously) be used? Preferably something black and/or silver to coordinate with the O2 color scheme?

Am I a bad person for even considering this?

ADS

creideamh

If they weren't gigantic puffy things (i.e. I don't even like the ones on the next gen Britax seats, even though obviously they're manufacturer approved...), then yeah I'd probably use them. I don't think you're a bad person :)

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
I don't know, they put those things on for a reason, and strap covers CAN change crash performance.

cryswilkins

Have you called Dorel to see what they recommend? What about slightly thicker socks?

Sent from my Droid using Car-Seat.Org

Brigala

CPST Instructor
I thought maybe I'd get these:
dora-the-explorer-car-seat-strap-covers_BG13625.jpg

JUST KIDDING!

No, seriously, just something to come between DD and that stiff plastic thing is all I am thinking of.

Brigala

CPST Instructor
I have had so little success talking to the numbskull thick-headed brainless customer service bots at Dorel that it didn't even occur to call or email them to have them tell me that there is no problem with the seat, the straps don't rub my daughter's neck, nobody else has ever had this problem, and they cannot recommend that I use their seat if I can't use it as it ships and no they won't look at pictures or consider the possibility that their product doesn't walk on water.

And yes, I realize that it's theoretically possible that strap covers might slightly alter crash performance. Then again, most car seats seem to come with them, so how much can they actually change the performance? That's why I'm stressing about this. *sigh*

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
But, those seats are tested with strap covers. And in this case, they have those plastic things. The plastic things are there, like I say, for a reason- I'm thinking probably to help with a problem they saw without them.

I don't think you'd get anywhere with CS. Maybe if someone has an in with one of their engineers?

Brigala

CPST Instructor
To clarify, I'm NOT considering removing the plastic strap covers that are there.

Just possibly wrapping them with something not very thick but enough to put padding between the plastic and DD's neck.

If I could get them to swap it out for a newer CA that didn't require those thick plastic covers, that would be awesome. But I could also win the lottery and just buy a new seat.

Brigala

CPST Instructor
By the way, as I recall, they have stated that they added the plastic covers to get the 65 lb weight rating. Later, they made other changes to the seat that made the plastic covers unnecessary.

If I were to remove the strap covers (which I don't intend to do) I'd basically be converting my CA65 to a CA50. Which actually wouldn't make a hoot of difference to me. But I'd be concerned about someone somewhere in the future using it for a 60 lb child and that would be bad.

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
To clarify, I'm NOT considering removing the plastic strap covers that are there.

Just possibly wrapping them with something not very thick but enough to put padding between the plastic and DD's neck.

If I could get them to swap it out for a newer CA that didn't require those thick plastic covers, that would be awesome. But I could also win the lottery and just buy a new seat.

I got that; I was thinking that since they are grippy, as I recall, then putting something over them would not be good.

Brigala

CPST Instructor
Definitely a consideration. Although the same seat without the grippy covers was apparently fine up to 50 lbs FF and the same 40 lbs RF that it is now... and DD isn't even half way to 50 lbs yet.

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
Then, uh, if I were you, I'd maybe put take the plastic things off, make it a 50, and put some baby socks on. ;)

Brigala

CPST Instructor
If I'm going to render the grippy covers ineffective, I think I'd feel more comfortable doing it in a temporary fashion (covering them) rather than removing them all together. Given a choice between the two. Especially because the problem may be temporary, or come and go as she grows and the relationship between her shoulders/neck and the harness height change. Right now, it seems to be getting worse. But I've had a different child in the seat (FF) who had no problems with it at all.

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
Well, if you don't want to remove them, then you should probably use a different seat. I don't like the idea of covering them.

joolsplus3

Admin - CPS Technician
I'd call Dorel and complain. But I wouldn't cover them or remove them, they seemed pretty adamant that model needs the covers (generally it's for head excursion reduction, I assume that's what they are for on this particular model).

Brigala

CPST Instructor
(generally it's for head excursion reduction, I assume that's what they are for on this particular model).

I agree that's probably what they're for, but for RF for a 22# toddler head excursion isn't really a big concern.

Do you think they'll actually listen if I call and complain? Should I drive her around in the seat for a bit and take pictures of the red marks on her neck?

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC