car for a teen? Please help!

MelllieMa

Ok, my sister wants to buy a used car for her soon to be driving teenage daughter. She wants to spend no more than 10k. She wants 4 doors, wants it to be no more than a few years old, and she lives in Minot, so good handling in snowy conditions is a must.
Please tell me your suggestions!

ADS

SafeDad

CPSDarren - Admin
Staff member
The April 2004 Consumer Reports has some recommendations on the best cars for teen drivers. While it does pertain to new vehicles, it might give them some ideas.

Robert

CPST Instructor
As a safety recommendation, I would stay away from the sporty cars. These cars have a lot of power that teenagers can't handle due to inexperience of drivng.

MelllieMa

Thank you both, Darren and Robert. I'll get the CR issue and send it to her! (she's a fairly conservative minded person, so I'm sure a sporty car won't even crop up on her list! ;) )

SafeDad

CPSDarren - Admin
Staff member
My thinking is even if I buy my kids a car and pay for the upkeep, they will be completely responsible for paying the insurance.

That way they can learn by shopping around to see which cars have affordable insurance. Plus, one reportable crash and they will be paying a lot more to insure themselves....

MelllieMa

I like that

but because my dad was in the Air Force our whole family has USAA, and I think that if anyone chooses to use another insurance (drops USAA) then they can't come back again. I could be wrong here. Growing up we had to pay gas and all upkeep costs, and the insurance difference if we didn't get the 'good student discount rates' or had any crashes etc.
She wasn't going to get a car for her DD as she is only 14, (in ND they get licenses early), but her 11yo just started team sports and dd could really be helpful with the driving as my sis is a single mom and a doc.
My own dd is older by a year, but won't have her first car for some time yet. She is going to be REALLY jealous!

SafeDad

CPSDarren - Admin
Staff member
Of course, they could still have their own policy through USAA... By shopping around I didn't necessarily mean different companies, but rather on different vehicles.

U

Unregistered

How about a 1983 Mercedes 240D?
Looks cool, purrs like a kitten, simple to fix and can't go too terribly fast... Plus, if you look around you can pick one up with no rust for about $1000. The insurance is very reasonable too.
Oh, and it just cruises through snow.

murphydog77

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
Might I suggest a stick shift? I've got a real nice '96 Toyota RAV4 for sale, original owner, 4WD, maintained nicely, lol.

Seriously, we got the stick because we felt more in control in snowy conditions (haha, yes it does occasionally snow here in LV, but we travel to ski slopes). You can downshift in slow-moving traffic and basically choose which gear you want to be in instead of the vehicle trying to decide what fits the conditions.

Plus, if she ever needs to drive one in the future, she will have learned on one. I learned on a stick and it's much easier to switch to an automatic transmission than vice versa.

(And they're cheaper than automatics!)

MelllieMa

Oh thank you Ulrike!

That is exactly what I was looking for! I didn't even know the crash test links existed, thank you so much!

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC