If car seats expire, why not cars?

Cath3114

I'm buying a new Chevy Malibu this week, so I was looking for crash tests on YouTube. I came across this - 2009 Malibu vs. 1959 Bel Air.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=joMK1WZjP7g"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=joMK1WZjP7g[/ame]

Um, SCARY.

So, if car seats expire in 5-10 years due to safety improvements, degradation of materials, safety standards, laws, etc., why don't cars? Not necessarily talking about vehicles aged 20 years or less. I'm sure they're still relatively safe. I'm talking OLD OLD cars. Why is something like that still legal to drive? Seems like it wouldn't just be a danger to the driver, but to other motorists, passengers, etc.

I know I wouldn't ride in that deathtrap! ::shudder::

ADS

Prolly cuz a car seat is a (relatively) very inexpensive item. Cars are not. Plus, car seats can only be used by children and we tend to be very careful when it comes to safety and children. Cars cover a wide range of people, and most of them are older than small children. Plus, cars are vital for people to get on with their daily lives. Car seats do much, much less for people.

When you run a cost benefit analysis, it's easy to tell someone to throw away a $100 car seat after several years. When it's something that costs 20, 30, 50, 100 times that, and does so much more and is used by so many more people... well, the cost benefits run the other way.

P1ally

That raises LOTS of expiration questions.. Why don't houses expire? I know there's plenty of houses down here in southern california that won't survive "the big one" or a natural disaster of any sort.. I have more examples but my head hurts.

An Aurora

Senior Community Member
They don't expire but they do become obsolete due to changing standards and technology. Just like not all OHS seats are expired, yet we would never use one since we know they aren't safe and that there are better options out there.

ETA: that video reminds me of the test of the mid-90's Volvo wagon versus the new Renault. Volvos are considered safe cars yet it was completely annihilated.

Jennee

we have been talking about getting an antique car as a "toy" and keeping it nice for when dawson is in his 30s, I think I just changed my mind, I want something newer with safety features!

jeminijad

People resist being told that car seats expire. Can you imagine telling someone they have to junk such an expensive item that they spent their own money on, even though it isn't a legal issue (just because the manufacturer said so,) and buy a new one at great expense?

LuvBug

You'd be surprised how safe some old vehicles are- they are like tanks! Not all of them and probably not most, but not all new cars are honestly safe either, when compared to new ones with good design.

I feel like if cared for properly an old car can be just as good as some of the newer cars with less than ideal design and standard safety features.

There are a few brand new cars I would not ride in and would willingly ride in a cared for older car over them.

Also good choice on the Malibu. I totaled my 09 a couple months ago and replaced it with a 12, I loved how it performed in the crash!

Pixels

You'd be surprised how safe some old vehicles are- they are like tanks! Not all of them and probably not most, but not all new cars are honestly safe either, when compared to new ones with good design.

I feel like if cared for properly an old car can be just as good as some of the newer cars with less than ideal design and standard safety features.

There are a few brand new cars I would not ride in and would willingly ride in a cared for older car over them.

Also good choice on the Malibu. I totaled my 09 a couple months ago and replaced it with a 12, I loved how it performed in the crash!

Those are the same comments a lot of people made, BEFORE they watched the video. ;)

Lea_Ontario

they are like tanks! !

That in itself is one of the detractions of an old car - being built like a tank does not help protect the occupants, it transfers the forces to them. That's why there are crumple zones in newer cars when there weren't any in old cars.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC