Shopping for a BIG SUV

TXDani

Senior Community Member
When we were shopping for my new SUV a year ago we looked at all the options listed here Suburban/Yukon XL, Sequoia and Expedition EL. We ended up going with the Yukon XL Denali and I have been really happy with it. It has been a little different for me going from having imports to having an American car but it isn't bad...they are just different.

I loved the Sequoia a ton but the same thing you mentioned is what kept us away from it. With the third row up there just isn't enough cargo room. If I didn't have a stroller aged kid I think it would be doable and only a pain on trips. My husbands Tundra is basically the same and we have been very happy with his truck. His truck does get better gas mileage than my Yukon but that wasn't a factor for us so it hasn't bothered us. One thing that is nice about the Sequoia is that the third row is 40/60 split so you can fold down the 40 side (it is power folding) for more cargo room and still have seating for two people in the third row.

The Expedition EL was just too blah for me. We were looking at the Limited model and while it was okay for the driver and front passenger area the rear seats were so ugly and out dated looking for me. It just did not seem as nice as the Suburban/Yukon XL.

We ended up going for the Yukon XL Denali over the Suburban because you could get the big motor in it that isn't available in the Suburban...which after driving the Suburban I knew I needed. I love having the middle row captains chairs and if you plan on having a 4th at some point you will definitely want to consider them...no more flipping seats or climbing over seats to get to the third row. The cargo room is great and we have only run into needing more of it a couple of times. I like that I can buckle ff harnessed kids in the third row by just reaching behind the captains chair.

If you have any questions I can help you out with the Yukon/Suburban.

ADS

An Aurora

Senior Community Member
Wow thanks for all the input guys! I am taking notes.

I have no idea how heavy the trailer is or what tow rating we would need.

luckyclov

My friend has a Sequoia. With the 3rd row up, there is a ridiculous non-amount of cargo room. There's also not a whole lot of front-to-back space between rows 1 and 2 and 2 and 3. That may not make as much of a difference if you're a vertically challenged family, though.

TXDani

Senior Community Member
My friend has a Sequoia. With the 3rd row up, there is a ridiculous non-amount of cargo room. There's also not a whole lot of front-to-back space between rows 1 and 2 and 2 and 3. That may not make as much of a difference if you're a vertically challenged family, though.

Do you know what year hers is? There is a big difference in size from the first generation and the second (2008+). I only ask because the front to back room in between the first and second row is enormous in the current body style.

An Aurora

Senior Community Member
We aren't particularly tall, and the only ones who would ever be in the 3rd row would be the kids. At the moment, they are comfortable in the 3rd row of the Explorer. I'm not sure how they compare size wise for the 3rd row.

We are going car shopping this weekend and are taking all of the hockey bags, the stroller, and some car seats :ROTFLMAO:

An Aurora

Senior Community Member
Do you know what year hers is? There is a big difference in size from the first generation and the second (2008+). I only ask because the front to back room in between the first and second row is enormous in the current body style.

We would get a newer one since 3rd row side curtain air bags are a must, and didn't those come in the 2nd generation versus the first? I remember seeing a bunch of 2008's with them, and 2006-ish ones without.

luckyclov

Sorry, I should have clarified. The friend I was referencing has a 2006/7. Hers does have curtains, but it's a high trim level. She keeps her 2nd row passenger seat folded forward all the time (to allow easier access for 2 of her kids in the 3rd row) and it's only secured by a thin piece of webbing and a plastic S hook that hooks freely to the fwd-set "oh, crap" handle. It makes me nervous.

I also have a friend with a 2011 (Platinum) and, yes, definitely a lot of the front-to-back space limitations (rows 1 and 2) were improved, but the lack of cargo with the 3rd row erect remains.

An Aurora

Senior Community Member
Perfect, thanks. I am looking at the Limited because leather is one of my musts. I don't like the captain's chairs with the console in the middle. What's the point :confused: Still no access to the 3rd row! I love the idea of seats that tumble with a push of a button, though.

An Aurora

Senior Community Member
Yes I read it ;)

I guess I know I need a Suburban, but I am not super in love, and I am balking at dropping that much money on one.

ETA: This won't be our daily driver. This will be the Kidmobile. DH works up to 300 miles away. Right now he has a Ford van but he's got the camp trailer, and as long as we have a vehicle that can tow it once a year or whenever he changes job sites, he's going to get rid of the van and get a Jetta. I have my car, which I will likely sell soon and move to one with a 3rd row. Whatever big SUV we get will be for the nanny while I'm working, and for running back and forth to hockey practice, skating, road trips, etc.

Last edited:

SavsMom

My sister has an Escalade ESV (the extended version on the Suburban chassis) and LOVES it - it got her through last winter with no problems at all. She lives on a farm in rural South Dakota, she has 4 kids - 3 harnessed, 1 boostered. She typically has her Bob double in the back along with gear for the girls dance classes and soccer as well as boots, and gear for riding lessons. It has gotten her through huge snow drifts in the winter, terrible mud in the spring and it tows their horse trailer with ease - you really can't go wrong with a Suburban, Yukon XL or the Escalade ESV in terms of interior room, cargo room, towing and overall capability - and I use to sell Toyotas - lol!

An Aurora

Senior Community Member
I told DH I wanted the Escalade and he laughed at me. :rolleyes:

Anyone know when 3rd row side curtain air bags came out in the Suburban?

They get 3 stars for rollover whereas the Sequoia gets 4... Still not great :(

T4K

I know you said no Ford...buuuuut....

I actually really like my Navigator and I hate Ford. We got it with 24K miles on it for about 50% of sticker when it was new.

The third row is the roomiest we saw when we were looking for our SUV. The amenities are really nice and it's a great ride.

The L model has tons of cargo space. There are only 3 TAs.

An Aurora

Senior Community Member
Hmm thanks. DH drove a whatever is the same as the Explorer for awhile at his old job and liked it but the transmission was going out. We have bad luck with Fords and transmissions (and engines...:( ).

HeWants4

We have a Yukon XL and it does (as everyone else has mentioned) have a ton of cargo room, even with the 3rd row seats in use.

The one this I wanted to add is that when having carseats installed in the center captain seats, it makes it difficult to get to the third row. We only have two kids so its fine for us. Just a thought. Maybe if it had a bench in the center it would be easier to use the third row.

We live in Colorado with a lot of snow, and it handles great in the snow and ice.

An Aurora

Senior Community Member
crunchierthanthou said:
I parked next to an Infiniti QX56/Armada today. There's no cargo space behind the third row. I'd say it's close to what the Tahoe/regular Yukon have.

Thanks! That's what I figured :( we rented an Armada once and I didn't like it. That second row was very, very uncomfortable 7 months pregnant for a 8 hour drive!

About the captains chairs...I had always heard those were easier. We would have two RF kids so that would be inconvenient for sure. I really like the electric tumbling captains chairs on the Sequoia. But realistically, my trunk space now is just barely adequate, so it would have to have at least as much room behind the third row. :(

TXDani

Senior Community Member
The Suburbans/Yukons also have electronic tumbling captains seats. :thumbsup:

With two rf'er it might be hardER to get to the third row but once you have one ff there it is super easy to walk past a ff seat to get to the back. I park in my garage and my passenger side is close to the garage wall so when we get in or out Griffin likes to get in Breckens door (behind the driver with a rf'ing ProRide) and climb under Breckens seat to get to his spot...so even we do that multiple times a day just to avoid him smacking the wall with his door. Just some food for thought.

Sent from my iPhone using Car-Seat.Org

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC