• Sell the Ventura XTSL

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Sell the Bentley XTSL

Votes: 5 71.4%
  • Sell everything and start over

Votes: 1 14.3%
  • Keep everything -- you can never have too many car seats

Votes: 1 14.3%
  • Other (or: I don't know, I'm as confused as you are!)

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Brigala

CPST Instructor
So, here's my current convertible Car Seat inventory:

1) DD's Radian XTSL in Ventura (RF in the Honda)
2) DD's CA65 SE (RF in the Suburban)
3) DD's Radian XTSL in Bentley (Not currently being used)
4) G's Radian 80SL in Metro (FF in the Honda; doesn't belong to me, it will be passed to her "pending" brother or sister when she outgrows it)
5) Brand new 80SL in Sport which is posted for sale on my local Craigslist (also on the swap, but it's pending sale through Craigslist right now).

I only have one car-seat aged child of my own. I babysit DH's granddaughter ("G") several times a week. She was using the Bentley XTSL but she was getting tall enough that the head wings were making her uncomfortable and crowding her shoulders. So I switched her to the 80SL I got on strollers.com for the baby her mom is due to have in the Spring (baby won't use it right away; will be in an infant seat soon).

The person who contacted me on CL mentioned she needs two Radians; she has twin 2-year olds and is expecting a new baby and needs to fit 3-across.

I have an extra Radian sitting unused at the moment. I hadn't thought about selling it, but now I'm considering offering it to the lady who wants the 80SL.

DH prefers the CA65. Says it's easier for him to do the buckles on. The Radian really doesn't fit well in our desired seating position in the Suburban. I was planning to demote the CA65 to "backup seat status" when I could get my hands on a Diono angle adjuster to improve the fit, but since DH likes the CA65 better I think I'm going to leave things the way they are.

Pros to keeping the extra XTSL:
- It can be used in the pickup truck on the occasions DD rides in there, without having to uninstall something (but it's really hard to install due to the long buckle stock and need for a locking clip)
- We're hoping to conceive again next year and would definitely need another Radian for the Honda eventually if we're successful
- Even if we're not successful, DH's next grandchild will probably need more than one convertible seat eventually, so I'm sure it will find a use again one way or another someday
- On rare occasions, I actually do have more car-seat sized kids with me and keeping the Radian would allow me to use the Honda instead of the Suburban sometimes.

Pros to selling the XTSL:
- I can replace it with something cheaper and possibly easier to install for use in the Pickup.
- I can always buy another Radian from Diono using the tech discount for not TOO much more than I would sell this one for, if we determine we need another one for ourselves or for DH's next grandchild, which probably wouldn't be until at least a year from now and maybe much longer.
- It's not the end of the world to have to drive the Suburban on rare occasions in order to fit more kids in or use a booster if I don't have space for 3 kids in the back of my Civic.

What should I do?

ADS

StillThankful

I LOVE the option of "Sell everything and start over!" :p What a dream of mine to do every year since there are so many cute, new seats that come out:D But of course, I know it's not practical or necessary:rolleyes:

Last edited:

rachelandtyke

sell the extra radian.

It helps the other mom out and then it gives you a reason to get something new if you need it later. :p

Brigala

CPST Instructor
Thanks, everyone. :)

I think you're right. I'll see if I can sell the extra Radian.

Why is everyone voting to ditch poor Bentley?

As it happens, the Ventura matches the interior of my car better, so even though I like the plush on the Bentley I lean toward keeping the Ventura anyway. I also have a spare (plush) Flora cover so I can use that if I really get a hankering for plush.

My Ventura is a year older than my Bentley, though. Ventura is 12/09, and Bentley is 11/10.

The Ventura one will last me until DD is age 7 and change, but it would only last a theoretical next baby until about age 5. I think I would like the wiggle room of having it last as long as I could possibly imagine needing it, which would be to age 6 of my youngest child (who is currently sitting in cryostorage at a fertility clinic...LOL).

I could still swap the covers and sell the Bentley cover on the older XTSL. Another possibility is to offer the older one for $160 and the newer one for $185 (figuring it's worth about $25/year) but swap covers if they want the newer one.

Can we say "overthinking?"

You know what I should do? I should just swap covers now, and install the newer one in my Honda and then the older one has the Bentley cover on it already. Then stop stressing about it, and either sell the Bentley or not depending on whether my buyer wants it.

emy_lou

Thanks, everyone. :)

I think you're right. I'll see if I can sell the extra Radian.

Why is everyone voting to ditch poor Bentley?

As it happens, the Ventura matches the interior of my car better, so even though I like the plush on the Bentley I lean toward keeping the Ventura anyway. I also have a spare (plush) Flora cover so I can use that if I really get a hankering for plush.

My Ventura is a year older than my Bentley, though. Ventura is 12/09, and Bentley is 11/10.

The Ventura one will last me until DD is age 7 and change, but it would only last a theoretical next baby until about age 5. I think I would like the wiggle room of having it last as long as I could possibly imagine needing it, which would be to age 6 of my youngest child (who is currently sitting in cryostorage at a fertility clinic...LOL).

I could still swap the covers and sell the Bentley cover on the older XTSL. Another possibility is to offer the older one for $160 and the newer one for $185 (figuring it's worth about $25/year) but swap covers if they want the newer one.

Can we say "overthinking?"

You know what I should do? I should just swap covers now, and install the newer one in my Honda and then the older one has the Bentley cover on it already. Then stop stressing about it, and either sell the Bentley or not depending on whether my buyer wants it.

Well, I voted to sell Bentley because you said it was the one not being used! ;) If your going to get rid of one, I think it would be best to get rid of the one you dont use... No since in getting rid of everything and starting over.... Unless you just want to get all new seats and spend a lot of money doing so, lol.

And then you said 2 of them are pending, and your using the other 2... so... I think that's why everyone is voting this way... Just my thoughts. :)

Brigala

CPST Instructor
Good point...

The only reason the Ventura was being used and not the Bentley is simply because the Bentley had been in use for the older child until she got too tall for the head wings and I swapped it out for the 80SL. And switching it out for the Ventura would mean uninstalling, reinstalling, readjusting, etc..

But after thinking about it, I went ahead and switched covers, installed the newer of the two seats for DD, and set the older seat aside to sell.

"Pending" may be a strong word... but I had one person who contacted me about it (the one with the twins who needs two), and she was supposed to meet with me today but it looks like she's flaking out on me. :mad: So I am now talking to the second person who contacted me; I don't know her situation but she asked me if I had more than one available.

Brigala

CPST Instructor
Bah. Now she's trying to lowball me. I guess she didn't see the "price is firm" part of my ad. She only wants to offer me $150 for the 80SL and $110 for the XTSL.

I'll keep the XTSL before I lower the price that far. I know I'm going to need to replace it eventually. And I know I can get the $160 at the consignment shop for the 80SL since it's brand new. And if I'm wrong, my BFF and my step-daughter can use them eventually since they're both having babies in the Spring.

Oh well. Thanks for the help deciding anyway. :)

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC