It just seems ridiculous

jeminijad

I believe that most people who purchase and install a car seat do not read the entire manual.

They get it in their car, LATCH or buckle, and as long as the angle seems okay for the kid riding in it, that is that. Maybe a few more consider whether the top of the seat can touch the front seat in a rear facing install, who knows.

But so many people are using Dorel seats, with their 45 degree and no bracing requirements. It is perfectly absurd to manufacture SO MANY seats that will only fit in spacious backseats if the rules are followed. Nuts! They know people aren't doing it.

Same thing with the baby buckets that require the handle down and no touching the front seat. How realistic is that?

It is one thing to say 'make sure the seat works in your car.' Its another thing when MANY of your products don't work with MANY of the cars on the road.

ADS

cookie123

I'm pretty sure car-seat.org folks are the only ones who read car seat manuals. At least very thoroughly. I encourage parents at work to read them. Often they say they have, but when asked a question or 2, it's obvious they have not.

I usually try to read the manuals of things I get, but never get it completely read. I'm readying my Prius manual, and now I'm too scared to fill it up with gas!

snowbird25ca

Moderator - CPST Instructor
I'm pretty sure car-seat.org folks are the only ones who read car seat manuals. At least very thoroughly. I encourage parents at work to read them. Often they say they have, but when asked a question or 2, it's obvious they have not.

I usually try to read the manuals of things I get, but never get it completely read. I'm readying my Prius manual, and now I'm too scared to fill it up with gas!

Some parents do. In fact, I'm guessing over 50% of the parents I deal with have at least tried to read the manual. Though I live in an area that is a little atypical at times in terms of carseat use. There are high levels of misuse, but there are also parents who put a lot of time and effort in to choosing a seat and at least trying to use it correctly - they just have difficulty understanding the manual or else following it. :shrug-shoulders:

I don't think you can truly tell based on questions whether someone has read a manual - comprehension problems are really rampant.

I also think it's a generalization to say that the seats can't be used as intended in the majority of vehicles. While there are limitations for sure, it's not accurate to say that they won't fit in most cars at the required angle. A lot depends on method of install and where the front seats need to be set for the passenger. *shrug*

Judi

CPST/Firefighter
I met a mom yesterday at the clinic that read her manuals! I was so excited! She even had the screws in the tb!

cookie123

Judi - that's great!

snowbird - you're probably right about the comprehension. Yet when you say seatbelt or latch and they look at you blankly, you have to wonder.

jeminijad

I also think it's a generalization to say that the seats can't be used as intended in the majority of vehicles. While there are limitations for sure, it's not accurate to say that they won't fit in most cars at the required angle. A lot depends on method of install and where the front seats need to be set for the passenger. *shrug*

I said many of the cars, not most- but I don't doubt that there are plenty that work, as well.

Just none that I've ever installed in, without knees in the dash.

hedgefun

cookie123 said:
Judi - that's great!

snowbird - you're probably right about the comprehension. Yet when you say seatbelt or latch and they look at you blankly, you have to wonder.

I think it's a little of both and depends on the person. I read the manuals enough to know that the seat is installed and being used properly in its current state, but if I wanted to move it or somehow change the installation, I would probably need to check the manual. Example: I know I can use a Nautilus for my niece with LATCH, but if I needed to transport a heavier child, I would need to RTFM. But those who stare blankly when you ask a basic question, I would also kind of wonder if they've opened the manual...

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC