Making kids safer, one question at a time.  Welcome to the Car-Seat.Org community!   Motor Vehicle Crashes are the #1 cause of fatal injury for children and adults, age groups 1 to 34.   Selecting a safe car, minivan or SUV, plus correctly using child restraints and seatbelts may be the most important things you can do to protect your family.   Need help installing an infant, convertible or booster seat?   Looking for carseat reviews or compatibility advice? Need help buying the best and safest car seats for your baby, toddler or older kid?   No question is a bad one, so please click here to ask our experts a question and then join our friendly community of moms, dads, caregivers and advocates in the USA and Canada.   Thank you for visiting; buckle-up and drive safely!

Sponsored Ads

Rear Facing 3rd Row

Are these safe??
    ]

2. # ADS
    Sponsored Ads

CPS Fanatic

Re: Rear Facing 3rd Row

for adults or children?

yes and no. for adults who can fit well in them, they are safe (they tend to be cramped). for kids who are of the age and/or weight to be in harnessed carseats or booster seats, no. and for kids who ARE in harnessed seats or boosters, you can't use RFing vehicle seats.
    Two girls, 7 and 6. Trek Mountain, Specialized Hotrock, Soma Buena Vista, Bike Friday tandem, and multiple other bikes. Oh, and a Mazda5.

If they came with the vehicle, then sure in an emergency I guess they're fine for those who fit them properly -- but they're likely to be in the vehicle's crush zone so I personally don't like them at all.... The added on versions are evil.

Carseat manuals always say not to install on RF vehicle seats.
    TIFF ~ doula & all hours childcare provider
    SCARLA: winter '02 . . . Jr. Roller Derby level III
    BEAR: spring '11 ... Recaro Sport + Clek Oobr
    RAHNE: summer '17 ... MicoMax30 + RadianRXT
    childcare: 0-7yrs... Contender + Frontier Clicktight
    {emergencies: Scenera Next, Highback, Topside}

Carseat Crazy

Dh's 93 Volvo wagon has a rear facing third row seat. It has a max weight limit. The belts sit lower so children can sit there without the belt cutting in to there neck. I came here to ask before we bought it used 4 years ago and I was told it was very safe. That belief may have changed. Right now I only have on child who is within the weight limit for sitting there so we usually take the van. It has been very handy on trips in the past.