Question New seats or not?

ericarizo

So the other day I was parked and the guy parked tobthe left of me bumped?? me as he was backing out. There is a crack in the bottom where they said his tire rubbed but then they said it might have just cracked the paint. I called Britax and they said that it is safe to use my seat and I am waiting to hear back about the TF and the Monterrey but I am wondering what you think? The said it was less than a fender bender and he was not even going 5mph when it hppened???

ADS

Judi

CPST/Firefighter
I wouldn't worry. If you replace for that, you would have to replace for a pot hole, right?

hrice

I agree with Judy and wouldn't replace.

Heather, CPST and Momma to Dustin 11/01, Colton 6/08 and Peyton 6/09

Brigala

CPST Instructor
I would not consider that a "crash," no.

I bet your car gets shaken more than that when the wind blows your car door shut by accident.

ericarizo

I was planning on listing them on swap before this. Do you think it is ok and what should I say about the booboo?

Pixels

The Britax and Monterey are absolutely okay as they go by NHTSA's minor crash criteria. For those, I would not hesitate to continue to use and I would list them in swap without bothering to mention the incident.

The TF, if you list in swap, that I would mention it because if anyone considers it a crash then the seat is toast.

Mommy2Marcus

I wouldn't replace the seats for that. We backed into our neighbor while backing out of the driveway about 2 years ago going about 5 miles per hour. Marcus was in a TF at the time in the back seat. We did not replace his seat. I didn't feel like it was a crash b/c we didn't feel an impact, just felt resistance.

I also talked to The First Years Learning Co, & they said it was fine to continue to use. I used the seat for another 6-8 months after that without any issue. I then sold it to a friend that needed the seat. She knew about us having backed into the neighbor & still took the seat.

Pixels

I wasn't saying you shouldn't sell the TF, just that you should be up front about the bump. That way the buyer can decide if they are comfortable using it or not. As you can see from the responses in this thread, many people would be fine with it.

cookie123

That isn't a crash imo. I'm quite sure it incurred more damage in it's shipping. I'd have no problem using it.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC